Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/20/2006 8:49:10 AM EDT
I was walking into the swamp to go duck hunting the other day and when I got down to the water I almost stepped on this monster. I was wearing knee high snake boots and the shotgun was loaded for this very reason (he was slightly unhappy with my presence). Bastards have good camouflage.  
It measured 4'11" without the head so just call it 5' (the beer cans in the photo are for size reference ) Do not pick them up with your bare hand !! It took soap, hot water, lemon juice, and finally a tomato juice soak to get the musk off my hand. Smelled like rotten pie x10

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:51:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow,good job on getting him before he got you or someone else or thier dog. Went down a river once in east TN and you culd see them crawling up the banks. It was like something out of Raiders of the lost Ark.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:56:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I alomost stepped on a copper head once. I saw somethng move in the corner of my eye and looked down at my feet. A 3ft copper head is less than 2 incehs from my foot. I yelled at a neighbor who was outside and he grabbed his shovel. While I was waiting on him to come over I had grabbed a stick to try to keep the snake from running off.

I didn't realize it but my girlfriend, who was with me, said I started talking like Steve Irwin while I was trying to contain the snake. To this day I wonder why it never tried to bite me.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:56:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I've had way to many close calls with those suckers. Nice job.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:59:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I didn't realize it but my girlfriend, who was with me, said I started talking like Steve Irwin while I was trying to contain the snake. To this day I wonder why it never tried to bite me.

It's because you were talking like Steve Irwin.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:04:47 AM EDT
[#5]
As mentioned in above replies, that is a copperhead.  A water moccasin (aka cottonmouth) is black or practically black. with a bright white mouth.  

Either way, they are both quite poisonous.  I remember quite a few years back, I took my scout troop out to my parents property for a weekend camping trip.  Fortunately, there were several firearms on hand.  We went down to the pond and were confronted by a couple of cotton mouths.  I sent one of the boys to my car to grab my pistols and we ended up having snake for dinner....I killed 4 cotton mouths and 2 copper heads that day.....
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:05:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's because you were talking like Steve Irwin.

Yep, most of the reptiles on the planet know and discuss Steve Irwin like we discuss Chuck Norris.....
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:09:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
As mentioned in above replies, that is a copperhead.  A water moccasin (aka cottonmouth) is black or practically black. with a bright white mouth.  

Either way, they are both quite poisonous.  I remember quite a few years back, I took my scout troop out to my parents property for a weekend camping trip.  Fortunately, there were several firearms on hand.  We went down to the pond and were confronted by a couple of cotton mouths.  I sent one of the boys to my car to grab my pistols and we ended up having snake for dinner....I killed 4 cotton mouths and 2 copper heads that day.....

The pictures above are of a water moccasin I've never seen a copperhead, I don't think wehave them in FL.

The color pattern is variable, but the backs of adults are usually drab brown or olive with darker crossbands. The belly is a combination of dull yellow and brown, and the underside of the tail usually is black. This species is unquestionably the most common venomous snake found in wetland habitat types.

http://www.uga.edu/srelherp/snakes/agkpis.htm
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:12:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:15:41 AM EDT
[#9]
crazy stuff snakes out in January, they all are in the dens hibernating around here by oct .
just rattlers though and little prarie rattlers at that.
BUT DID YA GET ANY DUCKS??????
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Piss!

I hate snakes!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:21:11 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
crazy stuff snakes out in January, they all are in the dens hibernating around here by oct .
just rattlers though and little prarie rattlers at that.
BUT DID YA GET ANY DUCKS??????

Missed a few I took my 20 ga., I think I'm gonna go back to the 12 ga for awhile. As far as the snakes being out, it's been like 70 degrees here for most of the last month
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:29:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for reminding me why I don't want to live in Florida.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:31:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Cottonmouths are cool and yes that is a cottonmouth.

They eat rats and nutrias and other pests.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:33:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I ran one over with the lawnmower once when I lived in Virginia
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:35:37 AM EDT
[#15]
you dirty bastard, I'm calling PETA on you.

That thing is pretty damn big, woulda sucked to get bit by that. Would be cool to make some nice boots or a wallet and a belt out of that skin though
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:37:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Looks too long , skinny, and light skinned to be a water moccasin to me. The water moccasins that I grew up shooting in Louisiana were almost solid black and very thick compared to their length.  Those Florida mocassins sure look different than "ours". I'm not saying that it isn't a moccasin, just that I would have walked past it and never thought of it as a water moccasin.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:42:06 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The pictures above are of a water moccasin I've never seen a copperhead, I don't think wehave them in FL.

The color pattern is variable, but the backs of adults are usually drab brown or olive with darker crossbands. The belly is a combination of dull yellow and brown, and the underside of the tail usually is black. This species is unquestionably the most common venomous snake found in wetland habitat types.

Oh contrair mon friar....we have pleny of copper heads...mostly in north florida.   Ran into both (mocasin and copperhead) in ranger school.  Had a six foot mocasin try to get into the boat in the swamp phase.  I've never seen anything like that.  They are beyond aggressive.....

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:43:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I live in South Florida (Ft Lauderdale) and hunt all over the place in the state.  The only place that a copperhead would/could be is in the very North or Northwest part of the state (like Tallahassee or west into the panhandle). Officially we don't have copperheads, but I've talked to a few people who say they've seen them, so I guess anything is possible.  Personally I haven't seen one.  That snake does look like a very light phase colored water moccassin.  Ours down in the southern part of the state are usually almost black, with some banding and a horizontal dark brown line extending across the eye (I'm sure you didn't want to get close enough to look at his eye pattern, and normally it's dark when going out duck hunting, so you did good getting him before he got you).  I't sgoing to be hard to see his head coloration now, though

Our hunting motto is "if you don't look for snakes, you don't see snakes..." for whatever that's worth. Everyone else can keep thir rubber boots, I'll keep my snake boots on, thanks.  Now if I can just figure our how to avoid the rattlesnakes while going through the palmettos, I'll be good.

SnF
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#19]
no.  no.  no.

you do it like this:

this little fucker was enjoying the day directly under a propane tank that i was painting.  i heard a rattle(2 feet away), assessed the situation and came back with a 12ga.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:44:45 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh contrair mon friar....we have pleny of copper heads...mostly in north florida.   Ran into both (mocasin and copperhead) in ranger school.  Had a six foot mocasin try to get into the boat in the swamp phase.  I've never seen anything like that.  They are beyond aggressive.....

Yeah I was curious so I just looked it up, didn't know copperheads could be in Florida, will have to keep my eyes open for them now as well.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:45:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Reason #10869 to stay out of southern swamps.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:46:43 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I live in South Florida (Ft Lauderdale) and hunt all over the place in the state.  The only place that a copperhead would/could be is in the very North or Northwest part of the state (like Tallahassee or west into the panhandle). Officially we don't have copperheads, but I've talked to a few people who say they've seen them, so I guess anything is possible.  Personally I haven't seen one.  That snake does look like a very light phase colored water moccassin.  Ours down in the southern part of the state are usually almost black, with some banding and a horizontal dark brown line extending across the eye (I'm sure you didn't want to get close enough to look at his eye pattern, and normally it's dark when going out duck hunting, so you did good getting him before he got you).  I't sgoing to be hard to see his head coloration now, though

Our hunting motto is "if you don't look for snakes, you don't see snakes..." for whatever that's worth. Everyone else can keep thir rubber boots, I'll keep my snake boots on, thanks.  Now if I can just figure our how to avoid the rattlesnakes while going through the palmettos, I'll be good.

SnF

I should add that he was molting or starting to shed his skin so that may account for the light color.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:47:20 AM EDT
[#23]
nevermind.  upon closer review this was the one we found out on the porch and had to kill with that hoe.  

here he is enjoying himself:

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:48:17 AM EDT
[#24]
What ever kind of snake that was, it looks tasty. You should eat it, and report back.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:52:02 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Is that a dinner pic?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:52:14 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
What ever kind of snake that was, it looks tasty. You should eat it, and report back.

I am leaving in an hour to go back over there for a couple of days, there are only a few thousand more, hhhmmmm  cookout ?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:53:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Cottonmouths give me a bad case of the willies.

Good job. One less in the world.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:54:03 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
nevermind.  upon closer review this was the one we found out on the porch and had to kill with that hoe.  

here he is enjoying himself:

tinypic.com/m8h7x0.jpg

that's great
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:56:05 AM EDT
[#29]

My parents have Cottonmouths in the woods/swamp behind their house in Yorktown, VA.  Saw quite a few growing up.

Never saw a Copperhead there, but saw a few while camping around Surry, VA.  

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:00:34 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I was walking into the swamp to go duck hunting the other day and when I got down to the water I almost stepped on this monster. I was wearing knee high snake boots and the shotgun was loaded for this very reason (he was slightly unhappy with my presence). Bastards have good camouflage.  
It measured 4'11" without the head so just call it 5' (the beer cans in the photo are for size reference ) Do not pick them up with your bare hand !! It took soap, hot water, lemon juice, and finally a tomato juice soak to get the musk off my hand. Smelled like rotten pie x10

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=44601

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=44602

I have kept many hott's, like cotton mouths and copperheads, which are related Agkistrodon. The copperhead which that is not also emits a must, the cotton mouth, well his musk is so bad I had to get rid of it, damn thing was just too potent. The snake in the picture is a florida cotton mouth, it's bigger and has a diff coloration than other cotton mouths, just like there are three diff copperheads in texas(pitigaster, contortrix and latacinctus) copperheads are subleathal and c/m are def leathal
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:11:17 AM EDT
[#31]
I have always heard that cottonmouths are really rattle snakes with a bad attitude and no rattle. They can be aggressive where most snakes just want to avoid you.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:13:39 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I have always heard that cottonmouths are really rattle snakes with a bad attitude and no rattle. They can be aggressive where most snakes just want to avoid you.

A riledup cotton mouth will rattle its tail.  It'll scare the shit out of you too!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:18:42 AM EDT
[#33]
I stepped down next to one one time and the bastard bit me.  Got me laid up for a couple of weeks waiting for the swelling and intense pain to go down.

Good job killing it.  I'm at war with the damned things.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:23:58 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I've had way to many close calls with those suckers. Nice job.

+1
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:27:30 AM EDT
[#35]
On a related note, anyone seen LANCEMAN's dog?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:29:22 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Wow,good job on getting him before he got you or someone else or thier dog. Went down a river once in east TN and you culd see them crawling up the banks. It was like something out of Raiders of the lost Ark.

You didn't see them in east Tennessee.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:40:23 AM EDT
[#37]
We have lots of those nasty snakes here in West TN. Our cotton mouths are black/sooty looking and have a bad attitude. Going down a small river with trees over hanging is dangerous, as they will fall into your boat.

I have seen these snakes come after people/ noises. Did I mention they are nasty. Never thought we had rattlesnakes in W.Tennesse, but around the TN river and the bluffs they are there.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:07:47 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
no.  no.  no.

you do it like this:

tinypic.com/m9axiu.jpg

this little fucker was enjoying the day directly under a propane tank that i was painting.  i heard a rattle(2 feet away), assessed the situation and came back with a 12ga.

I wonder what happened to all the damn rattlers around here ? For as long as I can remember they were everywhere, I'd see them on the road and while walking around in the woods. I haven't seen one in about 5 or 6 years. Personally I think they have been laying low and are planning a major offensive against me but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
We have lots of those nasty snakes here in West TN. Our cotton mouths are black/sooty looking and have a bad attitude. Going down a small river with trees over hanging is dangerous, as they will fall into your boat.

I have seen these snakes come after people/ noises. Did I mention they are nasty. Never thought we had rattlesnakes in W.Tennesse, but around the TN river and the bluffs they are there.

FUCK THAT!!!!!!

Note to self:  never go into the woods in W. Tennesee, unless you carry a flamethrower and torch everything you see.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:02:17 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:04:13 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
tinypic.com/m9axiu.jpg

Is that a dinner pic?

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:04:47 PM EDT
[#42]
I got bit by a rattlesnake once. After three days of intense pain, it finally died.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:05:22 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
tinypic.com/m9axiu.jpg

Is that a dinner pic?

It would be if I took it.  I love the taste of rattlesnake cooked properly.  Very Tasty.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:11:08 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I got bit by a rattlesnake once. After three days of intense pain, it finally died.

Commander Riker?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:16:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Shot two of them in my yard last year.  I have mowed atleast 10 out of existance... I live on a creek in North Texas, and I have piles of steel laying around for their prey to live in... Need to go poison the rats again...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:23:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:29:51 PM EDT
[#47]

Cottonmouths are very damn aggressive around here. I've had the same thing happen bass fishing on small   ponds. Several times they just seem to run right up to the little john boat trying to crawl in to get you or the stringer. Spooky!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:30:27 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Thats where being a dumbass like myself is a real problem. My immediate inclanation would be to shoot the fucker.
Then I'd have a boat with a hole in it, which would certainly make my situation even worse as most likely in the heat of the moment I would miss the snake.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:36:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Friggen snakes!!!!
I hate snakes!!!
I hate spiders!!!

Friggen snakes and spiders!!! F**kers give me the creeps.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#50]
that is the exact reason I hate going into water..never know what is floating around waiting for you to come strolling by
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top