Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2006 7:18:16 AM EDT
As many of you know, my wife just had her second miscarriage. I has been really tough, and we are going in today for a D&C.

At any rate, I was talking to my Mother about it yesterday.  One of my co-workers, “Ron” (who is one level above me, so I can’t piss him off); was walking by as I was talking about the D&C.  He stopped right outside my cube, and I thought he was waiting for me…so I gave him the “what’s up” look and he just shrugged and backed up a bit.  So, I thought he was waiting for someone else.  I sat down at my desk and continued the conversation, trying to keep it down as much as possible (but, my Mom was on a cell…etc.).  Anyway, I ended up talking to my Mom about the procedure, how my wife was doing, etc. for about 5 minutes.  

Just then, I noticed movement out of the corner of my eye, and I realized that he was still waiting outside my cube but had positioned himself out of my view.  I told my Mom, “I have someone here, I need to go” and hung up.  After I did, I stepped out of my cube and asked him, “How can I help you?”

His response, “I didn’t need anything, I was just walking by and I heard an interesting conversation…”  

WTF?!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:19:20 AM EDT
[#1]
should have punched him in the goddamn mouth
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:19:58 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
As many of you know, my wife just had her second miscarriage. I has been really tough, and we are going in today for a D&C.

At any rate, I was talking to my Mother about it yesterday.  One of my co-workers, “Ron” (who is one level above me, so I can’t piss him off); was walking by as I was talking about the D&C.  He stopped right outside my cube, and I thought he was waiting for me…so I gave him the “what’s up” look and he just shrugged and backed up a bit.  So, I thought he was waiting for someone else.  I sat down at my desk and continued the conversation, trying to keep it down as much as possible (but, my Mom was on a cell…etc.).  Anyway, I ended up talking to my Mom about the procedure, how my wife was doing, etc. for about 5 minutes.  

Just then, I noticed movement out of the corner of my eye, and I realized that he was still waiting outside my cube but had positioned himself out of my view.  I told my Mom, “I have someone here, I need to go” and hung up.  After I did, I stepped out of my cube and asked him, “How can I help you?”

His response, “I didn’t need anything, I was just walking by and I heard an interesting conversation…”  

WTF?!

That's really none of his business.  
Edit-I hope your wife is doing okay.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:22:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Alright, the guy is an asshole for doing that...

But, is it really wise to have personal conversations of a private nature, on the clock, in the workplace? Keyword being workplace. This is not private.

Next time maybe excuse yourself, take the cell, go out to the car, and discuss your business.

c'mon man, the idiot in the cubicle next to yours was probably listening too.

ETA: I really hope your wife is doing well too.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:23:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:24:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Tell him if there is anything he wants to know about you to feel free to stop by and just ask.I feel for you bro,we also had two miscarriages and a D&C but now have two healthy girls.Our prayers are with you both.Feel free to IM if you would like to talk.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:25:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Rip his head off and skull fuck him.

Prayer sent for your wife.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:28:30 AM EDT
[#7]
The guy was definitely an ass, but honestly, there can be no expectation of privacy in a cube farm. If it's personal, best to take the cell phone outside.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:29:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Alright, the guy is an asshole for doing that...

But, is it really wise to have personal conversations of a private nature, on the clock, in the workplace? Keyword being workplace. This is not private.

Next time maybe excuse yourself, take the cell, go out to the car, and discuss your business.

c'mon man, the idiot in the cubicle next to yours was probably listening too.

ETA: I really hope your wife is doing well too.

Where I work, I have a cube "suite" and the only people who are nearby are in offices (who's doors were closed at the time).  I was talking softly, but my cell battery self-emploded and I could only use my phone with the wall charger...

Remember, I was talking soft enought that he had to work to hear it...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:40:24 AM EDT
[#9]
If you don't talk about private matters in public, you'll never have and issue with your private matters being public.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:40:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Weird Fucko you have on your hands there.

I would do my best attempt to handle my personal calls on my 'break' when I step outside or even in the car if it is accessible.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:42:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Remember, I was talking soft enought that he had to work to hear it...

Look bro, all things considered. I don't understand why you did'nt put your hand over the phone, and yell "Get the fuck out of my business before I beat the living shit out of you".

Its just a job.
Chances are, the HR dept. would frown on his eavesdropping, understand your current medical situation, and everything would be fine.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:49:26 AM EDT
[#12]

IMHO "Ron" has a very lousy way of giving hints.  I bet he thinks he's all that too.

Shok
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:57:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
just tell him you'd appreciate it if he was professional enough not to eavesdrop on your conversations.
If that doesn't work, then .....

www.taprackbang.com/pubphotos/arfcom/americanway0hc.jpg

I think my image thread has contributed more to ARFCOM than Chuck Norris and Al Pacino combined.

On topic, the guy is an asshole and needs to be told off. Somebody else's conversation is somebody else's business, fucktard.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:11:58 AM EDT
[#14]
First off, I'm sorry to hear about your wife, Slash. I hope she is doing well, given the circumstances.

Quoted:
...who is one level above me, so I can’t piss him off...

I hate that attitude. When someone is being a dick, you need to speak up. Just because someone has a more important title does not make them a better person or give them the right to be a jerk.

I think everyone will live longer if they just say what they want to say to people.

<rant off>
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:12:10 AM EDT
[#15]

Sorry to hear about the loss of your child
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:19:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Why is everyone so intent on kicking someone's ass....

Reality check:  So you jump up and kick his ass and/or threaten to.  Someone calls police.  Police show up and people go to jail.  Expense and more trauma for wife.  Lose job, no income and/or insurance and more trauma.  Sorry but no HR department would excuse an ass kicking in the workplace.  Better idea is to inform HR without the confrontation.

Also, my wife and I have been through two as well, after our first, we tried again, but my wife needs "medication help" to conceive.  Everything seemed fine the first time until the sonogram informed us that there was "nothing" there.  We both hit the floor.  Second time, she had a tubal that ruptured and she lost that side.  Finally, after depression, fights, etc., we resigned to stop trying after one more pill and next thing we know.... well our second was here.

Can't say I know how you feel, b/c it's too personal, but one thing I can say is that you both need each other and she will definitely need you.

Sorry for the sidetrack and not the point of this post, but it still helps to let it out even now.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If you don't talk about private matters in public, you'll never have and issue with your private matters being public.

Gee, thank you Captian Obvious.

The point of this thread is not my behaviour, but his.  Try to keep up, OK?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:45:07 PM EDT
[#18]
While there is no "expectation of privacy" in a cube farm, I don't think that guy's actions were right.  If he had a problem with you being on the phone, he should have said so when you asked if he needed anything.  I would have keep pestering him about it until he went back to his office.  

Can I help you?
No
You sure, your awful close to my cube and looking right at me.
No
I'm sure you want something, your time is valuable.
No
I'm going to the bathroom, want to talk to my mom till I get back?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#19]
First off, sorry for your loss.

We have a person in our office that is somewhat strange.
I found a jacket in the break room and took it to the front office so the owner could be found. Guy in the Fo looks in the pockets to see if any identifying items could be found. Lo and behold he finds a folding knife large enough to gut an elk and some tissue paper full of womens jewelry. The person in the FO issues an e-mail asking after ther owner of the jaket and no sooner had sent it than this knucklehead runs into the front office screaming at this guy that he should just leave other peoples stuff alone. Guy in FO hands over jacket and thats all there is of that.
I should say that this guy is a real winner. Wears sandles to work when nobody else does. Washes his hands for long periods of time them goes to the stall and does unknown things.
Takes showers at 1130 everyday but does not exercise.
Drives his car at really slow speeds in order to save wear and tear on the tranny. (his words)
Waits outside till the rain stops so he can wipe his car down.

I could go on but you get the idea.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:12:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Prayers for your wife, slash.  That's a tough thing to get through.

Re the renob "Ron" - I don't give a rat's rear portion about expectation of privacy in a work environment, the dipstick was ACTIVELY EAVESDROPPING, and made an effort to do so surreptitiously.  He also maintained that activity with an effort, i.e., he was not trapped in the next cube over, he was walking by and stopped.  He's a low life dirtbag; watch out for him, he's probably going through peoples' desks at night too just because they're interesting.

Even if I'm on a cell phone with a business call to a vendor or manufacturer's rep while walking down the hallway, I don't anticipate that people are going to stop or turn around and follow me to listen in.  That's just freakin crap.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:17:37 PM EDT
[#21]
You should have drawn down on him ..............also ,sorry to hear this about your wife
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:18:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Gentlemen don't eavesdrop on other gentlemens' conversations.  It's like reading mail: if you had a letter on your desk, his behavior is tantamount to coming over and reading it.  Yes, in the modern paper factory everyone is out in the open and it happens.  Doesn't make the intruder any less scum.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#23]
 What a fucking shitstain.  You have more patience than I do, because I would have beat the living fuck out of him right there in the office, job be damned.  My wife has had a miscarriage, and those who haven't have NO idea how difficult it is.  What a piece of fucking shit.  If I lived near you I'd beat him up for you.

Seriously, when you and your wife are done grieving you not only need to talk this asswipe's boss about this, but might consider a low-level campaign of sabotage against him.  He deserves no fucking quarter after a response like that, ESPECIALLY when the piece of fucking shit was able to figure out what you were talking about.

Motherfucker I wish I lived in AZ.  I really do.

What a fucking cocksucker.  I hope he gets in a car accident that cripples him.  Asshole.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
 What a fucking shitstain.  You have more patience than I do, because I would have beat the living fuck out of him right there in the office, job be damned.  My wife has had a miscarriage, and those who haven't have NO idea how difficult it is.  What a piece of fucking shit.  If I lived near you I'd beat him up for you.

I appriciate the sentiments...

I wasn't even rude to him, not because I was trying to be nice... I was just so shocked, I didn't do anything.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:38:03 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:39:40 PM EDT
[#26]

Sorry for your loss.  Prayers sent for you guys.

Yeah... that guy has apparently lost the "knows how to act around others" portion of his motherboard.  At least you know what you're dealing with now.

Quoted:
 What a fucking shitstain.  You have more patience than I do, because I would have beat the living fuck out of him right there in the office, job be damned.  What a piece of fucking shit.  If I lived near you I'd beat him up for you.

LOL - Pete, you never disappoint!

(except for that one thread about getting pulled over - you know, the one thread where you didn't get mad)

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

You two (and the rest of the brain trust who are missing the point) need to understand that the issue is not about him speaking about something in public, it's about the asshat actively eavesdropping and then making a completely inappropriate comment.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:43:09 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

(except for that one thread about getting pulled over - you know, the one thread where you didn't get mad)

I'm actually not a violent person, primarily because the things that would drive me to the breaking point haven't happened to me.....yet.  I just bitch a lot at/to people.

I'll admit I have a small problem with pent-up anger.

My wife knows this, and always suggests I "take my anger out on her"
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:47:31 PM EDT
[#29]
What is it with you people? I think Ar15.com has been taken over by 10 year old chuck norris wannabe's.

I am going to BEAT THE FUCK OUT OF YOU
I am going to RIP YOUR HEAD OFF AND SKULL FUCK YOU
I would KILL A MOTHER FUCKER LIKE THAT
Should have PUNCHED HIM IN THE GOD DAMMED MOUTH

All the responses seem to be quite serious. I bet not one of you pussies would have actually done it.

THERE IS NO CHANGING MY MIND, YOU PEOPLE ARE A BUNCH OF SOCIAL MISFITS WHO NEED TO BE IN ANGER MANAGEMENT.

Did your parents die at birth and you were raised by street people?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
What is it with you people? I think Ar15.com has been taken over by 10 year old chuck norris wannabe's.

I am going to BEAT THE FUCK OUT OF YOU
I am going to RIP YOUR HEAD OFF AND SKULL FUCK YOU
I would KILL A MOTHER FUCKER LIKE THAT
Should have PUNCHED HIM IN THE GOD DAMMED MOUTH

All the responses seem to be quite serious. I bet not one of you pussies would have actually done it.

THERE IS NO CHANGING MY MIND, YOU PEOPLE ARE A BUNCH OF SOCIAL MISFITS WHO NEED TO BE IN ANGER MANAGEMENT.

Did your parents die at birth and you were raised by street people?

Well, bye.  

But before you stomp away in a huff, understand two things:

1.  Some people really do need an asskicking - it's the only way to get through to them.
2.  Some things (we call them principles) are sacred and if violated result in consequences.  For instance, some scumbag slapping my wife would receive a MUCH more serious retribution than if he slapped my 6'4" brother who can hold his own.  Understand?  If the asshat in question had been listening to an earnings report, fine.  This is different.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:53:18 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

You two (and the rest of the brain trust who are missing the point) need to understand that the issue is not about him speaking about something in public, it's about the asshat actively eavesdropping and then making a completely inappropriate comment.  

His actions created the event.

Its like running a red light and bitching about the guy that broadsided you.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm actually not a violent person, primarily because the things that would drive me to the breaking point haven't happened to me.....yet.  I just bitch a lot at/to people.

I figured that.  I enjoy the threads and matching avatar.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:59:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Sorry for your loss.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
His actions created the event.

Yep, just like women wearing provocative clothing deserve to be raped.  

I rarely call someone a leftist on this board, but your redirection of the blame is classic leftist bullshit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top