Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2001 8:28:47 AM EDT
We have a neighbor who's brother is dying of cancer and she wanted us to look into it. The closest I can come is like priceline.com or similiar. Is anyone aware of anything different?
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 8:39:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Crow, I believe most of the airlines have a policy of reduced fares under such circumstances.  I know this to be true in the case of imminent death (unfortunately).  Please go directly to the airline servicing the area where your neighbor wishes to travel.  Find out what information the airline needs - apparently some real scum-bags have previously used this as a con and the airlines now generally check on the validity of the request.

Hope this helps - a little.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 8:40:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 9:02:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I contacted Delta about ten years ago trying to get the wife of one of my troops home for her mother's funeral.  They basically told me there was no such program, but I've since heard of people using it.  We took up a collection and bought a tix (from a different airline).

Good luck,

Eddie
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 9:46:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Many airlines have "bereavement" fares.  My wife took one 5  or 6 years ago when her grandmother died.  It was about 20 bucks cheaper than the airline would quote you for a regular ticket.  You ain't got no friends at the airlines.    You might do better by going to the ticket counter in person and trying  to work a deal.  Most people have a harder time saying "no" in person.  It is real easy to say "no" over the phone or email.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 10:13:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Call the airline directly...
Tell them your situation...
They will ask for "proof", they will want a name and phone # of the doctor treating the patient.
You won't fly for free, but you will get an immediate flight at a MUCH reduced rate.
I know from experience.

Back in August of '95, my parents were on vacation in Florida with some friends.
While they were at Disney World, my Father suffered a massive heart attack. I was at a local dragstrip all day and when I got home around midnight, the phone was ringing...
It was my Mom, she said Dad was in the hospital and they were "working" on him. She said not to panic, and that she'd call back when she knew how he was...
In the meantime, I called several different airlines until I found one that could fly myself and three younger brothers to Orlando if needed. I don't remember which airline it was anymore, but they said "no problem, we just need the doctors name and phone #"
After waiting 1 or 2 hours, the phone finally rang. It was my Dads buddy, and he said "Art, you and your brothers ought to get down here."
The doctors were still "working" on him and weren't sure if he'd make it yet...
I called the airline back and secured a flight from Philly to Orlando.
My brothers and I were in Orlando that morning...
The airlnie even arranged to have my one brother flown in from Norfolk VA where he was living at the time.

Luckily, my Dad survived and is now in better shape than before. But only after a Quadruple by-pass.

Bottom line is...

Shop around different airlines, some will help and some won't...    
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 11:08:38 AM EDT
[#6]
My father who lives in Montana had a stroke a few years back. I asked the airlines about this very same thing. They said all I could get is a guaranteed seat. Anyway I did fly to Montana and my father at 88 is still alive. Did not get a reduced fair. P.S. One can fly to Europe cheaper than flying to Montana from here in LA. Changed planes 3 times before getting into Missoula.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 1:26:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Clark Howard (local consumer advisor) recently ran a story on the news about this.  Basically, you can get a slight discount off the full ticket price.  Oh boy.  You can usually fly cheaper looking for a ticket the normal way.
Of course, I don't fly, so i can't vouch personally.  Although Clark is usually pretty good.
I guess I'd ask and then shop around normally.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 1:41:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Crow,I work for an Airline and I'm sad to say
most Airlines have stop this practice due to abuses,I know that its hard to belive but people do it.12 years ago my grandfather had a massive stoke and die,my mother couldn't get a discount from USAWAYS,they made her pay full fare to Tampa from Pittsburg.I was able to get my father on a Continental flight the next day for free because of are company policy.Try Continental they maybe able to help,also contact the American Red Cross they may be able to help,they help me back in 83 when my Grandmother die of cancer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top