Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2006 10:04:44 PM EDT
Something like this...

I've seen a lot of guys do this without sending their gun for a $500 professional finish.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:09:24 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I've read, using a white crayon or white wax pencil will do the trick the easiest. Just "scrub" the point down in the letters kinda hard, then wipe the excess off when done. Don't know how permanent that will be, though. But it looks good.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:09:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I've seen a gun done in Crayon that look good. He said it had been on a little over a year so I assume it was durable.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:10:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Grease pencil from an art supply house works great. Just rub it in, scrape away the excess with a toothpick, and rub with alcohol on a Q-tip to clean and detail. Will last forever if you don't dig into it, and if you do, then you just rub more grease pencil into it.

You can also use epoxy paint for permanent markings, best to add it a droplet at a time on the end of a spherical toothpick for precision. But, this way is more permanent, of course.

Crayons work, too, but solvents will eat the markings up faster than grease pencil.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:12:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, I know this is going to sound really stupid, but I'm serious.

Take it to your local lady that paints intricate pictures on women's toe nails. No kidding. Have you seen some of the incredibly tiny, but detailed stuff they do.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:13:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Laquer sticks
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:15:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Take it to your local lady that paints intricate pictures on women's toe nails. No kidding. Have you seen some of the incredibly tiny, but detailed stuff they do.

Yeah, after she gets done soiling herself when you walk into the salon with a G3 slung over your shoulder, she can paint little dolphins next to the F and S on the fire control.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:16:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Laquer sticks

Where would one get them and how do you use them for this kinda stuff?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:20:29 PM EDT
[#8]
www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=7778&title=LACQUER-STIK%7e

I have never used them myself but I have seen the results and they look good.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:30:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:41:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
www.memorableplaces.com/m1garand/whitelettering/whitelettering1.html

Glad to see the experts do it just like I do.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:44:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Crayola
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:53:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Why the hell would anybody do that?    

I'm serious.  Why?

Is it the firearms equivilent of a scrotal jacobs ladder?  
Purely ornamental?  Or something more?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:05:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I've seen these done on a lot of Glocks.  Starting to like it.  Probably would try it out, but I don't have any crayons...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:07:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I've seen these done on a lot of Glocks.  Starting to like it.  Probably would try it out, but I don't have any crayons...

That's all I'm allowed to have.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:20:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I'm serious.  Why?

I mark my historic guns - C&R rifles for easy identification for myself and other collectors. Proofing marks, dates, ect.

I also mark safety and operational lettering for easy ID for the uninitiated. If someone picks up your gun, it's easier if the white "S" and the red "F" are clear and visible.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:22:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Crayola

The simplest solutions are often the best solutions.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:41:14 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, after she gets done soiling herself when you walk into the salon with a G3 slung over your shoulder, she can paint little dolphins next to the F and S on the fire control.

SG
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:27:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Testors paint marker. They sell a three pack at Walmart that has black red and white.
You just kinda dump the paint from the pen into the lettering, then wipe the extra off with paint thinner. It takes a couple of tries to get it right.
I found it easier to practice on a stainless 10/22 frame, the paint comes off the anodizing easier that parkerizing.
This is alot more permenent than Crayons.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:19:50 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Crayola

The simplest solutions are often the best solutions.

Yea, but I never can stay in the lines.

No seriously, warm the area up with a hair dryer then apply the crayon, works like a champ every time. It comes out just as easy if you ever want to take it out.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:40:45 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I'm serious.  Why?

Just looks nice.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:46:04 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I'm serious.  Why?

And what's wrong with having a scrotal jacobs ladder?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:51:30 AM EDT
[#23]
White-Out.  Works great when taking digital pics of serial numbers.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:54:11 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm serious.  Why?

<--- Waiting for Dusty to weigh in on this...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:54:13 AM EDT
[#25]
I really don't see the purpose of doing the logo and everything. I did the "SAFE-FIRE" in red and white on one of my AR15s and it's lasted the year, it's still looking like new. I used nail polish and a toothpick. It comes off with remover.

But after I did it, I didn't really see what the fuss was all about.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:55:10 AM EDT
[#26]
I did my AR lower with white and red crayon. The white turned out great, the red is a little darker than I like, so if you plan on using crayon you may want to use a shade of red lighter than what you think you'll need.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:07:57 AM EDT
[#27]

After doing the Crayon deal I hit with the hair dryer.  My theory was to melt the Crayon so it would penetrate and be more permanent.  Its held up pretty well so far.

Shok
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:10:37 AM EDT
[#28]
I used some auto touch up paint on the lettering on my USP.  I did it about 5+ years ago and it's still there.  Put some on, then I let it dry  a bit, then used some solvent to clean it up.  Had to repeat a few times to get it right, but I like the look now.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:17:50 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm serious.  Why?

Umm... okay do I want to Google this to find out what it is????

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:19:12 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I'm serious.  Why?

Why the hell would anybody be an ass?

Many companies laser engrave their guns or parts (Knights, Walther, etc) with WHITE LETTERING OMG!!!!! So if a person does it themselves, they are a fruitcake? It's just for aesthetics. You're telling me aesthetics never matter to you one bit. A gun may be a tool, but it's not a damn wrench. Many guns are works of art and precision. A personal engraving just kind of personalizes it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:13:21 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Umm... okay do I want to Google this to find out what it is????

God, no.

Just know it involves a nutsack and pointy metal being introduced to said nutsack.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:23:47 AM EDT
[#32]
I use white crayon...I love the way it makes the cool markings stand out on my milsurps (Enfields, 98k's and US stuff).

Never did on  my EBR's.....

Weird thing...people say they were never done like that in the mil...and for sure they were not manufactured like that or issued like that...but in Folke Myrvang's book on the MG 34 and 42, there is a pic of a German machine gunner in WWII carrying his MG 42....the maker mark on the left side next to the butt was DEFINITELY filled in or painted, because it stood out like a sore thumb...the only pic I can recall of a gun in active service (at least WWII and older) like that...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top