Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/8/2001 7:54:59 AM EDT
Didn't really try it until a bunch of the guys from my dojo(jiu-jitsu/white belt at the time) invited me out.  Loved it!

So far my favorite place is Shiki located in Babylon Village out on Long Island. My favorite roll is the "Vinny" roll...shrimp tempura rolled in rice with salmon and eel on the outside. Pass the waisabi and soy.

OK I'm going to lunch now........
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 7:57:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Broiled eel rules!! Of course I ll eat just about any of the sushi except squid.  Squid is terrible, tastes like and chews like rubberbands.

[beer]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 7:59:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I love it. If ever in SoCal go to Todai in Huntington Beach and Sumo Sushi in Costa Mesa. All you can eat sushi for under $20
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 8:02:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I love it. If ever in SoCal go to Todai in Huntington Beach and Sumo Sushi in Costa Mesa. All you can eat sushi for under $20
View Quote

UNDER $20!!! Holy smokes...worth the flight out just to gorge myself! Hmmmmn, I am planning a trip to Hawaii in the winter.....
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 8:04:46 AM EDT
[#4]
My girlfriend is always making me take her out for sushi.  I just have Kalifornia rolls and a few beers.  Todai is also on Sunset in Hollywood.  Good atmosphere, but I wished they served burgers.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 8:09:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Sapporo Beer or sake? Yes, please...[beer]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 8:10:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Todai is also in Portland, OR.  You can get a complimentary meal if it's your birthday (singing waiters optional, thankfully).

There's also a place where you sit around a conveyor belt and grab plates with various sushi on it.  Instant gratification!
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 8:18:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Waverunner, there is a joint on Western LI called 'Fukudaya', has all you can eat sushi. Fantastic chefs...

If I can remember the town I'll post it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 8:25:29 AM EDT
[#8]
The "Kyoto" restaurant on the Crystal Harmony cruise ship...  of course it will cost you at least $10,000 per person to board the vessel for the opportunity to eat some of the finest sushi you'll find anywhere in the world, for FREE!

I thought I'd died and gone to heaven when my wife and I went on this luxury cruise last January.

For those with lower budgets, I suggest the National Restaurant Association show in Chicago. The sushi is awesome, since there's so any variations of it at different booths, and once you've paid your registration fee, everything in the place is FREE. Oh, did I forget to mention you have to somehow be associated with the restaurant industry..?  [:D]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 8:37:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

UNDER $20!!! Holy smokes...worth the flight out just to gorge myself! Hmmmmn, I am planning a trip to Hawaii in the winter.....
View Quote

That ain't no joke. Lunch is like $15 - 18 I think its about $22 for dinner though still not bad. I took AROCK on this board to Todai when he was out in Kali.

Todai has become a chain of Japanese Buffet in CA. They have em in San Diego, L.A. and in San Jose over at the Eastridge Mall.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 8:40:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Spicy yellowtail hand rolls are my favorite.  Also, any type of sashimi with the exception of a certain type of mackeral.  Spanish mackeral maybe?  

I'll eat anything but Uni.  Tried it once, had to swallow it twice.

But then I'm one to try just about anything once.  Sometimes I ask what it is other times it's best not to ask at all...
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 8:46:02 AM EDT
[#11]
HighlandMac,
If you think squid is "chewy" try octopus.  It's like chewing on a tire.  The flavor is very good though.  Might consider chewing it and spitting it out if you can get away with it.

See if you can find broiled baby squid.  It's similar in flavor to broiled eel but not as chewy is "adult" squid.  I think you'll like it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 9:03:30 AM EDT
[#12]
If you like sushi ck out this video.
Warning be prepared!!!!!!

http://www.wayweird.com/archives/2001/jun/gh-sushi.shtml

Link Posted: 8/8/2001 9:04:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I love sushi.  Anyone ever try the sea Urchin?  That's my favorite along with the Yellow Tail.

Do you guys know that the best place that I ever eat sushi is Lexington KY?......You say "WHAT?"....That is where the Toyota plant is and all the Japanese restaurant there are cater to Japanese.  The menu is in Japanese.

CA is next on the list for me.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 9:09:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Damn Jack.  
That was really rude video.

WARNING:  ONLY WATCH THIS VIDEO IF YOU WANT TO SEE A WOMAN VOMIT INTO THE MOUTH OF ANOTHER WOMAN.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 9:10:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Waverunner, Fukudaya is in East Meadow, NY [:D]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 9:13:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Squid must be cooked very little or very much.  Anything in between is tough, size or age doesn't matter.  I grill till it just whitens, about 30 sec.  
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 9:18:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Love sushi.  I got engaged after a fine sushi dinner that had a little to much saki involved.  I had the ring but was going to wait a few months.  I prefer the sushami over the rolls.  The only thing I dont care for is sea urchin!
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 9:28:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Eating some right now...
There's a good place on the Huntington/east Northport border on LI... opposite the Huntington Square Mall... it used to be called Uncle Tais, no it's something else but $21 buys you all you can eat.  All food off of the menu is included...  Whenever I'm in NY I get my ass over there...
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 9:30:41 AM EDT
[#19]
NO! (but I love eating Susie)
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 9:33:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Down here in Texas, we call that stuff BAIT!
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 9:38:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Down here in Texas, we call that stuff BAIT!
View Quote

Leave it to a Texan to drag that trite old crap out.  If you want an original thought, skip the rolls and go to what I call 'manly' sushi:  a great big ol hunka fish slapped on some rice and wrapped in seaweed.  Unagi (sea eel) is my favorite, but I once had some made with a live scallop that just melted in your mouth.  Wash it down with Kirin Ale.  Urp..

Most octupus is just plain tough and chewy: I've had good 'pus (no jokes) one time, and even then it wasn't great.  Main thought:  experimentation is good.  [smoking]

the shooter
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 10:36:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Unagi (sea eel) is my favorite, but I once had some made with a live scallop that just melted in your mouth.  
View Quote

Unagi is freshwater eel.  Anago is sea eel.  IMHO Unagi is delicious, Anago is not.  Are you sure you ate a live scallop?  A scallop lives inside a shell, like a clam or an oyster.  I wouldn't expect eating a live one to result in a melt in the mouth experience.  At the very least I would expect the shell, which is quite thick, to be a bit crunchy.  I ate a whole scallop once (minus the shell), my buddy and I were playing "I bet you won't eat that" in a robatayaki under Nishikujo station in Osaka (we were kind of drunk).  They are big and slimy and taste like shit.  The only part of the thing worth eating is the muscle that holds the shell closed (it is a white round thing in the middle of all the slippery nasty parts).
If you actually ate one and liked it, my hat is off to you.  However, I think you might be confused about what you ate.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 11:31:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Unagi is freshwater eel.  Anago is sea eel.  IMHO Unagi is delicious, Anago is not.
View Quote

Yeah, shit, you're right: I thought about that when I posted it, can never remember which is which. I just point to the picture and grunt.  Unagi is marinated, Anago is not.  

Are you sure you ate a live scallop?  A scallop lives inside a shell, like a clam or an oyster...
If you actually ate one and liked it, my hat is off to you.  However, I think you might be confused about what you ate.
View Quote

Nope, not confused on this one.  Chef-san pulled it right out of the tank, opened it up and shucked it right in front of me.  While it was still fasiculating, he took that hell-for-sharp bigassed knife and cut it into two segments; he placed each piece on a bed of rice and topped it with a paper-thin slice of lime.
Damn good.  

I read a book on sushi a couple years ago; the rice itself is actually a delicacy and supposedly takes years to learn to prepare properly.  The average sushi chef understudies 12 years in Japan before being allowed to 'practice' on his own.  Sort of like fish samurai.

Kenichi-Wa,
the shooter  
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 11:34:30 AM EDT
[#24]

Are you sure you ate a live scallop? A scallop lives inside a shell, like a clam or an oyster. I wouldn't expect eating a live one to result in a melt in the mouth experience. At the very least I would expect the shell, which is quite thick, to be a bit crunchy. I ate a whole scallop once (minus the shell), my buddy and I were playing "I bet you won't eat that" in a robatayaki under Nishikujo station in Osaka (we were kind of drunk). They are big and slimy and taste like shit. The only part of the thing worth eating is the muscle that holds the shell closed (it is a white round thing in the middle of all the slippery nasty parts).
If you actually ate one and liked it, my hat is off to you. However, I think you might be confused about what you ate.
View Quote

We eat only the white part not the other.  Last I recall the other part is poisonous. Something like your balls will fall off in a couple months.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Todai has a large location in San Diego just South of I-8.  They're a shade above Onami in the North County Mall in Escondido.  There are better Sushi bars in SoCal, but none are a better value.  My favorite is Isobune in San Francisco's Japantown, where you sit  by a canal where excellent sushi cruises by and you simply take what you want.  Your bill is tallied by the color of the plates you consumed.  2 people stuffed with beer included for around $ 35.00.  Hawaii:  the biggest overpriced ripoff for ho-hum sushi I've witnessed, at least in Oahu.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 11:42:25 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm a Texan that eats sushi. Got to watch that wasabe'. (sp?)
I have only had the opportunity to have it a few times and have enjoyed it.  
Thanks for the warning about uni.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 12:27:43 PM EDT
[#27]
the raw fish and rice is good, but that damn seaweed tastes like shit
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#28]
I like inari sushi and would like some Inari Vachs too.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 2:53:11 PM EDT
[#29]
The best sushi restraunt in North America is Gen Kai Dana Point, CA.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 3:12:15 PM EDT
[#30]
I agree that the Todai chain is an excellent value, but I wouldn't go there if I wanted to eat sushi. For all you can eat lobster and shrimp Todai rules, but the quality of the fish they use for sushi is second rate at best, IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 3:26:43 PM EDT
[#31]
#1 "Blue Ribbon Sushi", NYC
#2 "Nobu", NYC
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 4:01:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Come to my house sometime and you can have spicy tuna roll, salmon skin hand roll, 3 types of tuna, salmon, eel and a few others you haven't seen in most restaurants. And if you're real adventurous Uni.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 4:07:54 PM EDT
[#33]
I'll eat any sushi...
...but DAMN! That urchin is some nasty goo.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 4:09:06 PM EDT
[#34]
WaveRunner
Next time your Downtown try Esiay on the corner of Thames and Greenwich, a little pricey but the Sushi kicks butt. If Carl is still tending bar tell him George from Virgina says Hi.

Ask if they still make the Gary roll...Totally awesome.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#35]
AAA, I eat at Eisay all the time.  It's NYC's secret sushi spot -not in Zagats, and upstairs in an alley.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 4:27:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Yo Major-Murphy,
We miss it bad...Do you remember the Mita on Nassau Street? That was home away from home in the 80's.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 4:32:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Never ate there, I wasn't in the area for much of that decade.  But AAA, Eisay is a real find.  If you've sat at the bar and said "omakase", you've been to heaven.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 4:33:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'll eat any sushi...
...but DAMN! That urchin is some nasty goo.
View Quote

I agree.  I eat it all but the urchin.  Tried it once.  I'm now convinced there's no reason to eat those prickly little bastards...
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 4:33:41 PM EDT
[#39]
I love sushi too and as long as it is fresh and has no parasites, the best for your body.  I think it would turn the liberals' bellies to know that a bunch of redneck gunowners like us actually indulge in different cultures and food.  Proud to be a redneck!
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 4:38:35 PM EDT
[#40]
When I worked in San Mateo, I used to eat sushi all the time.  The boss would pay, so it was great.  There must be 50 Japanese restaurants in a 10 mile radius.  It is hard to beat the Bay Area for good fresh sushi.

Sushi Sam's is great if somebody else is paying.  Taisho is good too, but both are a little too ritzy for me.  We used to drive to Millbrae and eat at Osho or Akafuji.  I need to find a good cheap place to eat in Pleasanton.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 5:44:35 PM EDT
[#41]
its all good IMHO
both kinds of sushi [:D]

Link Posted: 8/8/2001 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#42]
I was stationed in Japan for 2 years with the USMC. Ate lots of sushi and sashimi my girl friend , an office girl in Hiroshima turned me on to it and many other things. I still can't live without hot sake. I keep a bottle or two at home and have it anytime I want. Seems like just yesterday that I was in a little place off the side streets in the Itaewon distict of Seoul eating raw squid, eel, kimchee and rice with this pretty little bar girl from the Heavy Metal club. Life was good I sometimes wonder why I ever left the Corps.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 6:06:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Make it heavy with hot wasabe mustard and lemon juice.
If I still drank alcohol, I'd be washing it down with Ballard Bitter and hot sake.
If I still...never mind.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 6:49:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 7:00:41 PM EDT
[#45]
[img]http://www.eatsushi.com/img/rollsushi.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.eatsushi.com/img/handroll.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.eatsushi.com/img/salm_egg.jpg[/img]

Here's a cool link [url]http://www.eatsushi.com/[/url]
Here's the message board [url]http://www.eatsushi.com/board/list.asp?fid=19[/url]
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 7:05:47 PM EDT
[#46]
sushi is a bad case of hepatitis just waiting
to happen.
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#47]
You are right...Mr Wilson 2 billion fish can't be wrong.......BAIT!
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 7:37:04 PM EDT
[#48]
sushi rules, the two main grocery stores here carry it prepackaged, I'm sure a true sushi bar is way better, but this stuff is pretty good
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 8:32:49 PM EDT
[#49]
I eat it all!
Link Posted: 8/8/2001 9:10:10 PM EDT
[#50]
With all the talk about Todai's, I thought this might help.

http://www.todai.com/pages/todai/locator.htm

It's a great place not just sushi either. I've seen lobster thermador on the dinner buffet, and crab legs too.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top