Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/19/2006 7:00:27 PM EDT
Ran to the store to grab a six pack of beer and while waiting in line noticed that the 50 year old guy ahead of me in line had to give the girl his drivers license so she could scan it through some gadget in order to approve him for his beer purchase. I decided to play around a bit and handed her my CWL which doesn't have a strip of any kind on the back but looks kinda like a drivers license (same kind of plastic card with similar information format and picture but different colors).

Anyway she ran the card through the reader about 5 times then finally looked at it, frowned and said  "allright let me see your drivers license smartass" (I go in there all the time). I just showed her where my birthday was on the CWL but she said it was a new store policy that every beer purchase had to have a Drivers License scanned through the machine because they had got busted selling to an underage buyer in a police sting a few days ago and it cost them $500. I guess my Military ID would be no good there for proving age now either (i'm almost 30 but still get carded sometimes).

I gave her my drivers license to scan but now I wonder who has a record that I purchased beer and at what time tonight j/k I don't usually where my tin foil hat out of the house but I was in a hurry tonight. So now a drivers license is not only a privilege but also required to buy beer
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:04:11 PM EDT
[#1]
And it begins, the .gov can now track your purchases even if you pay w/cash.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:04:52 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By LANCEMAN

I gave her my drivers license to scan but now I wonder who has a record that I purchased beer and at what time tonight j/k I don't usually where my tin foil hat out of the house but I was in a hurry tonight.

"Oh, no!  We'd *NEVER* record your personal information, we promise...  Just like we promised that seat belts would never be a primary offense, just like we promised NICS checks would never be saved, just like we promised... (ad nausum)"

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:06:01 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Ran to the store to grab a six pack of beer and while waiting in line noticed that the 50 year old guy ahead of me in line had to give the girl his drivers license so she could scan it through some gadget in order to approve him for his beer purchase. I decided to play around a bit and handed her my CWL which doesn't have a strip of any kind on the back but looks kinda like a drivers license (same kind of plastic card with similar information format and picture but different colors).

Anyway she ran the card through the reader about 5 times then finally looked at it, frowned and said  "allright let me see your drivers license smartass" (I go in there all the time). I just showed her where my birthday was on the CWL but she said it was a new store policy that every beer purchase had to have a Drivers License scanned through the machine because they had got busted selling to an underage buyer in a police sting a few days ago and it cost them $500. I guess my Military ID would be no good there for proving age now either (i'm almost 30 but still get carded sometimes).

I gave her my drivers license to scan but now I wonder who has a record that I purchased beer and at what time tonight j/k I don't usually where my tin foil hat out of the house but I was in a hurry tonight. So now a drivers license is not only a privilege but also required to buy beer

Unless they put up a sign saying DL are the only valid proof of age, htf can they do that?

"We card" stickers to no specify what form of ID.  What if a person just had a state ID card?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:10:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I gave her my drivers license to scan but now I wonder who has a record that I purchased beer and at what time tonight j/k I don't usually where my tin foil hat out of the house but I was in a hurry tonight.

"Oh, no!  We'd *NEVER* record your personal information, we promise...  Just like we promised that seat belts would never be a primary offense, just like we promised NICS checks would never be saved, just like we promised... (ad nausum)"

And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:11:39 PM EDT
[#5]
The local bank I go to has started that crap.  The idiot tellers give construction workers a very hard time since usually their licenses won't scan.  Quite a few times I've seen the bank refuse a deposit because they couldn't get the mag stripe to read.  What kind of idiot at a bank would decide to refuse a deposit?  How can that be good for business?  If someone makes a deposit to my account, I don't want them to have to provide an ID.

My license won't scan either after being around a magnetizer at work.  The tellers always refuse my deposit, but I learned from a relative of mine that's a VP at the bank that if you just leave the check with them they'll deposit it.  That really pisses them off and a few of the younger girls will follow you out into the parking lot to try to get you to take your check back.  The only catch is that you don't get a receipt that way.z
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:13:20 PM EDT
[#6]
tell 'em to FOAD.

you control the situation, not them.

It Is YOUR money, is it not?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:15:00 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Oh, no!  We'd *NEVER* record your personal information, we promise...  Just like we promised that seat belts would never be a primary offense, just like we promised NICS checks would never be saved, just like we promised...(ad nausum)"

And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.

But we're just paranoid...this will never happen...BLAH BLAH BLAH
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:16:16 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
tell 'em to FOAD.

Didn't really have much choice, they are the only store in town open after 10pm I had decided I was gonna have some beer tonight so I submitted. I'll just have to plan ahead better now, but this was my favorite jiffy store since they are only 1/2 mile from the house.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:16:39 PM EDT
[#9]
i MAY be wrong about this, but i'm pretty sure that those card readers don't tap a central database - it just reads your data which is stored on the strip.  of course, that doesn't mean that the machine doesn't save your data for "review" at a future date.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:17:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Unless they put up a sign saying DL are the only valid proof of age, htf can they do that?

My guess is because it's their store and if you don't like policy, you can GTFO, kinda like arfcom. Vote with your dollar.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:19:25 PM EDT
[#11]
brew your own beer.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:19:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm sorry, my DL was taken away for drunk driving.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:20:19 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
i MAY be wrong about this, but i'm pretty sure that those card readers don't tap a central database - it just reads your data which is stored on the strip.  of course, that doesn't mean that the machine doesn't save your data for "review" at a future date.

I checked it out while I was waiting in line and all it had was a power cord. Of course like you said for example, the manager might come in once a day and upload it into a computer so they can have records of legal purchases. It would be easy to see some record like being used in court for some reason against somebody maybe
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Oh, no!  We'd *NEVER* record your personal information, we promise...  Just like we promised that seat belts would never be a primary offense, just like we promised NICS checks would never be saved, just like we promised...(ad nausum)"

But we're just paranoid...this will never happen...BLAH BLAH BLAH

Right we are all just paranoid.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:21:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My guess is because it's their store and if you don't like policy, you can GTFO, kinda like arfcom. Vote with your dollar.

But would it not behoove (sp?) them to inform people what ID to have?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:23:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
brew your own beer.

I did one time, my brew-fu is weak. Gonna try again one day though
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:23:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I checked it out while I was waiting in line and all it had was a power cord. Of course like you said for example, the manager might come in once a day and upload it into a computer so they can have records of legal purchases. It would be easy to see some record like being used in court for some reason against somebody maybe

after doing some more research, apparently it's possible to reprogram the info on your strip - although i'm not going to discuss it further since it would probably violate the CoC.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:24:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
brew your own beer.

+1, homebrew rocks
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:26:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Several bars/clubs are using those things here.  It is funny to see peoples driver license pictures/address on the computer.   It is nice to know that somewhere the date, time, and frequency of people going out are being stored somewhere.  Privacy, where did it go?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

after doing some more research, apparently it's possible to reprogram the info on your strip - although i'm not going to discuss it further since it would probably violate the CoC.

Yeah, don't alter your identity card.  The gestapo might not like it. wtf?  Who does the card belong to?  You or the state?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:34:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Yeah, don't alter your identity card.  The gestapo might not like it. wtf?  Who does the card belong to?  You or the state?

The back of my FL DL says "The State of Florida retains all property rights herein"

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:34:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I wonder what they do when someone from out of state comes in? Each state is set up different.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:35:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The back of my FL DL says " The State of Florida retains all property rights herein"

+1, the card belongs to the state, just like your mailbox does  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:37:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Well if possession is 9/10ths of the law, cut off the 1/10th that has the strip and mail it back to them.  The rest is yours, right?

eta: My Tx driver's license doesn't say it belongs to the state.  Nor do I remember reading anywhere when I filled out the forms for it that it did.  If it does belong to the state I want my damn money back.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:39:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I wonder what they do when someone from out of state comes in? Each state is set up different.

good question.  around here, they have a notebook that has pictures of every state's drivers licence so they can compare and make sure the card is legit.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:39:57 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
The local bank I go to has started that crap.  The idiot tellers give construction workers a very hard time since usually their licenses won't scan.  Quite a few times I've seen the bank refuse a deposit because they couldn't get the mag stripe to read.  What kind of idiot at a bank would decide to refuse a deposit?  How can that be good for business?  If someone makes a deposit to my account, I don't want them to have to provide an ID.

My license won't scan either after being around a magnetizer at work.  The tellers always refuse my deposit, but I learned from a relative of mine that's a VP at the bank that if you just leave the check with them they'll deposit it.  That really es them off and a few of the younger s will follow you out into the parking lot to try to get you to take your check back.  The only catch is that you don't get a receipt that way.z

Depends, if the person wants cash back after the deposit and the withdrawal is more than what is in the account before the deposit, they aren't going to go through with the transaction before seeing ID. It takes the bank a couple days before they get their money from a deposited check, so they could get scammed with a fake check. They are really covering their own behind. That's not bad business.

If all they want to do is deposit without getting money back, there's no risk for the bank. I don't know why they would request ID for a deposit-only transaction.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:40:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

(cue music)
I left alone my mind was blank
I needed time to think to get the memories from my mind

What did I see can I believe that what I saw
That night was real and not just fantasy

Just what I saw in my old dreams were they
Reflections of my warped mind staring back at me

Cos in my dreams it’s always there the evil face that twists my mind
And brings me to despair

The night was black was no use holding back
Cos I just had to see was someone...............
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:41:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cell phones have no "WIRES" could be sending a signal to a "DATABASE"....hhhmmmm glad I dont drink much...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:41:39 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Well if possession is 9/10ths of the law, cut off the 1/10th that has the strip and mail it back to them.  The rest is yours, right?

Destruction of government property/altering documents
My military ID says "Property of the US Government" but then I guess I am as well.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:44:17 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm going to buy ALCOA stock first thing in the morning.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't know about other states but here in Texas the only legal forms of i.d. are a valid driver's license, a valid state i.d. card or a passport.
Back in the '80 when I tried to buy beer once I tried to show my police i.d. card. They said it wasn't valid i.d. WTF? When they asked for my phone number I said 911. They didn't like that either.
People need to lighten up. It gets on my nerves when I take my wife dancing and have to show i.d.
I might look good, but at 47 I don't come close to looking underage!
Jim
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:46:28 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Destruction of government property/altering documents
My military ID says "Property of the US Government" but then I guess I am as well.

Military ID and Driver's licenses are not the same.  Different governments issue them.

Though with the real ID act that statement is less true than it once was.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:47:13 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I don't know about other states but here in Texas the only legal forms of i.d. are a valid driver's license, a valid state i.d. card or a passport.
Back in the '80 when I tried to buy beer once I tried to show my police i.d. card. They said it wasn't valid i.d. WTF? When they asked for my phone number I said 911. They didn't like that either.
People need to lighten up. It gets on my nerves when I take my wife dancing and have to show i.d.
I might look good, but at 47 I don't come close to looking underage!
Jim

it's just a CYA thing.  don't blame the businesses, blame the lawsuit-happy prohibitionists.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:50:05 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The more license you allow them, the more they will take.

Hey! I made a funny.. license.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:59:31 PM EDT
[#35]
I am not blaming anyone, but I don't like it either.
If I was a young looking 25 I could understand it. I am 47 years old. A little common sense should apply.
Jim
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:04:38 PM EDT
[#36]
stores/clubs unfortunately can't trust their employees to have common sense, so it's easier to just say "ID everyone."  a store around here had a policy of "ID everyone who looks under 30", but it's amazing what growing some facial hair can do, and an under-21 slipped by, then got in a car accident and the store was threatened with a lawsuit.  now, they ID everyone, including 80 year olds and older.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:21:27 PM EDT
[#37]
How will illegal aliens get their beer?  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:24:02 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

they don't need an ID to get beer, just like they don't need a driver's licence to drive or a SS # to get a mortage..
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:26:07 PM EDT
[#39]
My banks, all of the tellers know me and greet me by name.  Never a problem.

Well, one problem, I hate listening to loan managers begging me to borrow money I don't need.  One of the drawbacks of good credit.  

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:26:54 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

they don't need an ID to get beer, just like they don't need a driver's licence to drive or a SS # to get a mortage..

They apparently don't need insurance on their cars either.
I can't figure out how they get some of those POS cars inspected.
Jim
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
...  "allright let me see your drivers license smartass" ...

Sounds like she’s got your number!!  

Quoted:
tell 'em to FOAD.

Problem is – it’s their beer!  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:52:29 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Got a guy here in town that buys a bunch cases of Natural Light/Milwaukees Best every  week and then sells them to the farm/pine straw workers out of his truck. None of them have ID so they don't like to go to town and buy beer Buy a case for $11 then sell it to the illegals for $1 to $1.50 a beer wherever they are working/squating. I know this guy makes a living doing that, of course he lives in a camper trailer on his dad's land .

Not a bad racket:

20 cases of beer a week:  $220
20 cases sold to the migrant workers:   $480-$720 tax free
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:53:52 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
brew your own beer.

tastes better to.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:06:22 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Around here they just steal it.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:25:28 PM EDT
[#45]
I was flying a few months ago and had a layover in Chicago.  O'Hare, not the over-run Midway ...anyhow, I wanted a scotch.  The bartender asks for ID, then questions "are you from Texas?".  Then he doesnt believe it is a legit ID.

Bullshit.  Scanning DOES NOT PROVE IT IS LEGIT!  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:26:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Take your money and your feet and go someplace else.

I hassle the guys at Wal-Mart when they don't ask me if I am over 21 when I buy ammo
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:01:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Hmmm guess I can't buy beer in FL now. My D/L is 3 "generations" old, doesn't have the digital pic or mag strip on the back. Not gonna update it until they stop taking my renewals online and make me come in.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:47:49 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

This is part of the reason the Feds are so antsy to get all the states lined up with the same format licenses, etc, so as to make the record keeping easier. State doesn't compy, no highway money.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:06:04 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Cell phones have no "WIRES" could be sending a signal to a "DATABASE"....hhhmmmm glad I dont drink much...

Right...podunk 7/11 has a cellular bar code reader and a central datacenter in order to track beer sales.

Jesus, guys. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:25:16 AM EDT
[#50]
It is our own fault.
We keep elect goons at the state/fed level that try to catch these guys in sting operations.
The way I understand it is that you must have ID to purchase beer AND be over 21.
So, theoretically, the ATF could send in a 30 year old to purchase alcohol, but he could not show ID, and thet would be a violatio for the store.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top