Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2006 6:56:13 PM EDT
Has anyone here ever worked in a clean-room, wafer fab making ICs?

If so, how do/did you like it?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:12:53 PM EDT
[#1]
It sucked. But it did open the door into other career areas for me. I took a job as a tech at a big semiconductor manufacturer. It wasn't what I had in mind when I got out of college, but I bit the bullet and learned as much as I could (about chemical vapor deposition). I transferred out of the group 2 1/2 years into it, and into another division which was a better opportunity for me in the long run. The new path I chose took me to where I am today.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:34:46 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Has anyone here ever worked in a clean-room, wafer fab making ICs?

If so, how do/did you like it?

I presently do work in an IC plant as a translator.
IMO it is a OK job.

The only complaint that I have is that I often have a sore throat after being in the clean room for a whole day.
I was told that a small percentage have the same problem and it is caused by the respiratory system getting too used to the clean environment inside, then reacting to the comparatively filthy air outside.

If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer what I can
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:52:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I repair and maintain the tools that process the wafers. It definately has it's good and bad days. Having a bad day today.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:08:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to work in a clean room all the time.

Photolithography section tends to freak out some people over time due to the required yellow lighting.

Bunny suits do cause some people to get a bit claustrophobic.

Once I was working third shift and caught two 'bunnies' swapping spit in a back area.

Great place to work if you have allergies due to HEPA filters everywhere.

Ed
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Funny to see so many Texas members here...

TI
Raytheon
Dallas Semi

all the others...

How many work at the SC building in Dallas?

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:23:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

TI
Raytheon
Dallas Semi

all the others...

Not me, but I drive by it on my way home!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:48:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I repair and maintain the tools that process the wafers. It definately has it's good and bad days. Having a bad day today.

Me too, one nice thing is many of them work a compressed work week.  That's 3 12 hour shifts one week and 4 12 hour shifts the next week.  That part I really like, built in OT and at least a 3 day weekend every week. The bad part is you never get a whole weekend off.

I'd hate it if I had to get another (real) job.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:36:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

TI
Raytheon
Dallas Semi

all the others...

You mean the Flea Market (which has since become Raytheon within the TI North Campus)?

I didn't work in that one, I was in the South Bldg (same campus), I bugged out of there and on to greener pastures at Forest Lane....

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:03:26 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TI
Raytheon
Dallas Semi

all the others...

You mean the Flea Market (which has since become Raytheon within the TI North Campus)?

I didn't work in that one, I was in the South Bldg (same campus), I bugged out of there and on to greener pastures at Forest Lane....

Oh God, I keep trying to get the hell out of here. Every time I try to get out, I find out that management goes behind my back and *requests* that my JOB not be considered. It's starting to piss me off.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:04:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

TI
Raytheon
Dallas Semi

all the others...

Oh God, I keep trying to get the hell out of here. Every time I try to get out, I find out that management goes behind my back and *requests* that my JOB not be considered. It's starting to piss me off.

No kidding, that would piss me off too.

(circa 1994-1997)
Fortunately, I had a mgr that was NOT a complacent, stubborn fool (like many gold badge mgmt types there) (. I had put  in my JOB for a position elsewhere, and the section mgr of that group had to track me down to ask if I was interested in interviewing, since the HR folks dropped the ball and never contacted me. I got the gig, and then same shit happend again from HR when the offer was supposed to have been made (supposedly thru "proper channels"). The mgr again tracked me down to extend the offer. The mgr I departed from was very helpful with my transition out. He was a class act, seriously.

I hope you can get out of there soon. If I saw that it was becoming a pattern, I'd take them to HR.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:17:28 AM EDT
[#11]
We just had a major Org. change. White sheets come out in like, well less than a week. I'll see what happens. Since the building HR is in bed with management I have to file a greivance then take it to corperate. Hopefully since things on Renner road will be happeing soon I'll be able to move.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:01:43 AM EDT
[#12]
lol

I for several years worked at Elcan- Raytheon (legacy TI) on Plano Rd.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:13:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I worked in the photo area of a major semiconductor manufacturer in Vermont for several years.  I eventually got into the physical failure analysis business which afforded me a very rewarding career.  I ended up managing the FA lab.  

My advice FWIW: work smart, make yourself valuable and watch for new and better opportunities.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:23:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:33:47 AM EDT
[#15]
That's bizzare to see so many current and former TIers on this board.

Soowah, you've been there for a while? Have you thought about circumventing the JOB process and contacting the posters on the forms (or the site now) directly? I did that a couple of times on some positions I ran across when I was trying to get out of DFAB. I figured, "what do I have to lose?". It got to where I hated the compressed shifts, my social life disappeared, as I was working all the time. Fortunately, my GF at the time stuck by me and we made the best of it. I especially took advantage of the double-time days (I always made sure that my seventh consecutive day fell on a Sunday). I don't know if they do that anymore. Nevertheless, if I were trying to get out, I'd definitely work any and all angles to get out. Careers in the fab aren't for everyone - it took me 2 1/2 years to figure that one out. I hope you can make your escape soon.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 1:54:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top