Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2006 6:37:51 PM EDT
(sorry, a bit long in the tooth)

Hey everyone, I'd like to pick the brain of the hive mind for comments/enlightenment/sk00ling about the national  fingerprint database. I've looked at the FBI website regarding the National Fingerprint File (NFF), but it doesn't really answer my question. I've got a friend who is getting ready to become a registered nurse, and apparently, there is a background check that is run on candidates who are appplying state board licensure (understandable).

Long story short: My friend was arrested one night for public intox (she was a passenger in a car, going home from a bar in Deep Ellum one night a couple of years ago - the driver was booked for DUI, my friend was booked for PI, and released the next morning). My friend lawyer'd up, and got a Deferred Disposition, resulting in NO CONVICTION, and Expungment (she paid out the wazoo to get that done). Since then, she had a few different sources run background checks on her, and nothing shows up.

The reason I'm asking about the print database is that when the background check is run, they will also fingerprint the students and run their prints to see  what comes up. If anything comes back when the prints are run, it could result in the denial of licensure or postponment (apparently 6 to 9 months).

My question is, when a PD prints detained individuals, where does this information go? Since there was no conviction, should there be any reason why a print should match that comes back with no record?

Thanks for the read, I know this was longwinded. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:18:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about the logistics of sending of fingerprint stuff.
But, here's the low down on licensing. All nurses get a criminal background check done to get a state nursing license. It's not a cut and dry yes or no if they find that the person has been convicted of a crime. If the person has a felony conviction, the state's board of nursing goes through a more detailed investigation. Since the time of the crime, what has she done since the crime and what was her background like before the crime? What's her employment history like? Obtain court records. Obtain parole officer assessment.
Public intoxication doesn't sound like it will be a problem. If she had a history of being a repeat offender or has been arrested often for various crimes or has a substance abuse problem, she might not get a license.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#2]
They run the name/dob and use the fingerprints as another identifier if there is information that matches.  They don't necessarily run just a check on fingerprints.  The fingerprint info is distributed to the agencies in which cards are printed during the arrest.  That would mean, County, State (DPS) and then FBI.  Hope this helps somewhat.  Was LEO for 10 yrs.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:56:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Luckily I knew the deputy that took my prints in nursing school.....he said "don't worry about it" as I stepped up, before I could even open my mouth.
(My dog survived the encounter.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top