Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2006 6:08:40 PM EDT
I bought an '05 Jeep Unlimited Wrangler Rubicon in April.  Over the 18,000 + miles I've put on it since it's ran pretty good, but I've had lots of problems with it.

The most annoying issue is with the climate control, and I'm wondering if this is normal for the model or not.  When I have the climate control on vent (just to the right of max AC, this is also the regular heater setting) the dash vents blow whatever temp I want - cold, cool, warm, or hot.  However, if I have it on anything except the extreme cool setting, the floor vent blows hot.  Not a big deal in the summer because I has it on AC most of the time and I didn't notice.  However, it's very annoying in the other 3 seasons where I don't want the AC on.  Several times over long trips I have had to stop and walk around in snow banks because my right foot got so hot it was too painful to drive any more.  

The only way to make it go away is to put the temp dial on cold.  Then I have cold air blowing in my face and that kind of negates the purpose of a heater alltogether.  Even if I put it on defrost, the bottom vent still blows very warm/hot air.

I took it to the dealer and they told me that it's goofed up and they would fix it.  First thing they tried didn't fix the problem.  Then they changed out the heater control - the thing on the dash with all the dials to turn the heater/AC/vent/etc on.  It shut everything down and the only thing that would work was the defroster - which I was told is the default setting when the system isn't getting any imput at all from the settings dial.  I have called them 4 times now and was told the first three times "We'll get back to you."  The last time I was told that it might just be the "nature of the beast." Of course, they never got back to me, I called them back. I don't quite accept this, partly because it's just plain screwed up, and partly because the mechanic told me that the control module they put in was a little bit different than the one that was original (which they put back in because it worked better than the replacement).  They claim the part they tried to put in it was the proper model number.

I figure they are fucking me over, but I wanted to ask to see if anyone else has had this problem and if this is actually normal for TJ type Wranglers (not to mention all the other problems I've had).

Any answers to this will be greatly appreciated.  Either way, I'll be taking it to a different dealer, but getting to another one will be a 45 minute trip and will be a major PITA.  Thanks!

-K
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:23:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 2005 Rubicon Unlimited also. I have not ever noticed anything like you described. I will say I notice a lot of exhaust heat coming up from underneath on the passenger side mostly. It has little heat shielding is why. Maybe it's the heater. If you email so I have your address I can check on Friday.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#2]
You are being fucked over by a dealer that knows nothing of what they are doing.

I have an '06 Rubicon Unlimited and it works normal - not anything like you describe.  On heat mode it tends to blow hotter on the passenger side, but I've thought my passenger was just having hot flashes.  :)  I also have a late XJ with the same HVAC, it's normal also.

-Gator
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:07:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies guys!

I didn't think it was normal, but I wanted to ask and make sure.  I noticed the heat coming up in the passanger compartment, but this is coming straight out of the vent.  I should have known it was going to be a problem when I found out it was painted on a Friday and assembeled the following Monday.

-K
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:06:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I have an '01 Sahara and I do not have any heater problems at all. A lot of other problems but not as you describe. The dealers are marginal at best in finding problems with Jeeps. I have owned many vehicles and Jeep service is incompentent. Chrysler after going under the Germans cut back on waranty service and that does not help. Best bet is to find a Chrysler dealer and go talk to the real service manager. Working with the geek who writes up the order is not going to work. Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top