Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2006 5:18:08 PM EDT
Has anybody bought a "used" pool table?
I am looking to put a pool table in my shop and was wondering if it was worth the time to buy a used one or should I pay the money and get a new one.
Seems to me that these things might be junk after being moved around.
If you did buy a used one, did you move it yourself or have it professionally done?
Do they have to be disassembled to move, or can you put it in trailer and transport it on its legs?
Thanks!

BTW: Does anyone in Phoenix have one they want to get rid of?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I picked up a used table from a guy at work that retired... He was happy to sell it to someone that would use it and take care of it... I took it apart and moved it myself. It was very easy. I just put it back together the way we took it apart. It was a piece of cake. There are many places you can buy felt on the net if you want to refelt on the reassemble...  I got a pool table and ping pong top, balls, dozen cues , etc for $350. You may need a muscle head or two slate is very heavy!!!    
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:55:13 PM EDT
[#2]
look around for an old gold crown or commercial table for $1000. or so and put the best fest, the best rails and you have saved thousands over a new one.   And when you refelt it you can add filler blocks in the pockets so your pockets aren't so big...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Thats good info, Thanks
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:34:03 PM EDT
[#4]
A pool table is a frame, rails, three slabs of slate, and felt. I think the "right" way to move it is to take it apart. When reassembling, the whole thing gets leveled and the slat slabs get aligned, with stuff to seal / smooth the seams. Then the felt gets replaced or reattaced and the rails get reattached.

If this is indeed the "right" process, its advantages are that a) slabs of slate weigh so darn much that it's hard enough to safely move one, let alone all three and b) it lets you get everything nice and flat and smooth after installing it.

I highly recommend you ask a real billiards store what they recommend. They regularly have "move and install table" as a service they provide. A local shop was actually quite willing to give me some DIY refelting advice.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:55:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy new and when you sell it you lose 1/2 your investment.

Be patient and shop around for a nice used table and you will save an easy 1/2 cost plus tax.

Figure approx $200 for a move and re-install by a pro ( well worth it )

Make certain you refelt the bumpers and the slate top.

Replace / reglue any weak bumpers while refelting them BEFORE the table gets re-assembled.

Give the table / slate 24 hours to settle AFTER it is inplace .... then re-level and seal the 3 piece slate gaps. the 24 hour down time allows him to re-felt / inspect all the bumpers.

Best advice you'll ever get.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:05:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Bought mine used and got a hell of a deal. $850 for an 8-foot Olhausen slate - included delivery, assembly, leveling, and new felt. Paid about $120 to have it professionally moved when I bought my new house this summer. It was worth every penny to not run the risk of messing it up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top