Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2006 3:50:04 PM EDT
A really good female friend of mine just won a trip at work to puerto vallarta mexico. Shes going with another female coworker. She is 23, pretty naive (IMO),  and has never left the country (Canada dosnt count!), her friend is 30ish and a whore. She leaves in March. She says she is worried about it. What do you guys think, stay or go. I maintain travel is very good but going to a third world shit hole is not how to see the world.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:11:41 PM EDT
[#1]
If mexico is such a great place, why are millions of people risking their lives every year to escape it?

Mexico isn't a vacation. It's a lab experiment gone wrong.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:14:05 PM EDT
[#2]
if she's going to a resort, fine as long as she never leaves the boundaries of the resort. She can go have all the meaningless sex she wants and be safe. But do not cross out past the line.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#3]
she's going to a tourist-trap, but that's better than a hole in the wall small town where she might be "assimilated."

she should go with someone else, though - someone who's been to Mexico and isn't a whore.  I'm afraid the current travel companion might choose less than desirable people to hang out with down there.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:17:41 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
she's going to a tourist-trap, but that's better than a hole in the wall small town where she might be "assimilated."

she should go with someone else, though - someone who's been to Mexico and isn't a whore.  I'm afraid the current travel companion might choose less than desirable people to hang out with down there.

Or take her to Juarez
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:18:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Mexico is fine. I have been to the Yukatan three times this year. I take a bus all over. Never had one problem.  Well there was this one time on the roof of a bar shooting guns with a 13 year old mexican kid and his dad. lol
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:28:25 PM EDT
[#6]
GF went to Puerto Vallarta and loved it.
She said that she had no trouble at all of any sort.
If your friend keeps in the tourist parts, she should be OK.

If your friend is in to wildlife, there is a beach tour that my GF liked a lot, in which one can see turtles and other animals.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:35:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Mexico is a great place to visit. Stay in the tourist areas, don't get hammered and get in a van with 5 locals, don't fuck with the Federales, and don't wave wads of cash around and you'll be fine.

It's not fucking Mogadishu.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:56:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I would just have a hard time supporting anything about the Mexican economy.  I also know that cute gringo girls have a bad habit of disapearing, and the local mounties are about as lazy and corrupt as you can get.

-K
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#9]
She made her bed.  Let her live with the consequences.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:04:53 PM EDT
[#10]
If she has any common sense street smarts, she should be OK.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#11]
All-inclusive resort?  Sounds good.

FWIW I'm going to Jamaica in June, and it's an all-inclusive.  No need to leave the resort.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:10:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Puerto Vallarta is a pretty commercial and tourist-friendly place.

Not much to worry about as long as she doesn't fall in with the wrong crowd.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:30:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Parts of it are…

Have you been following what has happen in Nuevo Laredo in the last year. Northern Mexico is about a year away for complete chaos.

The U.S. State Department has issued a travelers advisory for the region.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:35:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Got your friend's friend's number?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:36:21 PM EDT
[#15]
I am half irish half mexican...my mother still has her green card...tourist traps are fine....there are some bad areas.....I go into the interior every chance I get but im fluent enough and have family to keep me out of most trouble....
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Parts of it are…

Have you been following what has happen in Nuevo Laredo in the last year. Northern Mexico is about a year away for complete chaos.

The U.S. State Department has issued a travelers advisory for the region.

Yeah, and there are parts of Michigan that I wouldn't be caught in after dark.

Puerto Vallarta and Cancun are tourist spots. Nuevo Laredo, Nogales and Tijuana are too close to the borders--they act like a giant shit catcher.

PV and Cancun have a VESTED interest in tourist dollars. I'm not saying let your gaurd down completely (no matter where you are on vacation) but out of the 200 times I've been to Mexico (Rocky Point and Guaymas/San Carlos) not ONCE have I been hassled.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If mexico is such a great place, why are millions of people risking their lives every year to escape it?

If Mexico is such a bad place, why are millions of Americans spending billions of dollars to vacation there?

Anyone with an IQ above 20 can safely stay in any of the popular Mexican tourist destinations. If you can't meet that standard, then by all means, stay home and complain about what a shit-hole the country is.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:50:35 PM EDT
[#18]
NO. I lived in Arizona for most of my life. I have been to Mexihole on many occasions and it's not a place to visit. It's corrupt, dirty and full of shitbags. Fuck Mexihole.... Worst damn place on the planet, next to Somalia.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:09:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
... a third world shit hole is not how to see the world.

Keep your racists views to yourself, please; and read the CCs while you are at it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:20:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Anyone that willingly travels to Mexico is an idiot.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:21:19 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Having been to both when i was young and stupid, Mexico was certainly the more dangerous of the two.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:25:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Going in July..   not really by choice, but sis wants to have her wedding on a cruse, and well, its my sis so I won't miss her wedding.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:26:17 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Idiot here
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:27:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Stay around the white people and she'll be okay.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:27:51 AM EDT
[#25]
I simply will not give that country any of my money...sure would like to go though! There's a fox in the bush
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:34:33 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
If she has any common sense street smarts, she should be OK.

If she had any common sense street smarts, she'd stay home.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:53:22 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Fixed it for you!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:03:50 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... a third world shit hole is not how to see the world.

Keep your racists views to yourself, please; and read the CCs while you are at it.

Mexico IS a third world shit hole. How is that racist?

Mexico is a third world shit hole!
And it is, too!

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Asked aforementioned G/F for advice.
She said to take industrial grade bug juice to deal with the vicious mosquitoes, and plenty of sun block.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I'm with you on that.

FWIW, what you have to say is almost exactly what a former border patrol supervisor told me a while back.

Like a fool, I went back....and the Federales robbed us.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:13:16 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
She made her bed.  Let her live with the consequences.

Is that like, "When you come to a fork in the road, take it"?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top