Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2006 3:18:19 PM EDT
Is there some kind of mix it yourself plastic out there? I know anout epoxy and polyester resins but is the anything a bit simpler and cheaper?

Specifically, I want to fill an AR grip so I can drill it and make a shifter knob.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:35:31 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a simple epoxy job. Use one of the little twin-tube syringes sold at home depot etc and you're set.

If you want to get fancy, sink a nut of the correct thread in the end with the last bit of the fill.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:37:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice idea!  No knowledge of plastics though.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:39:32 PM EDT
[#3]
You are taking this whole Corvette thing a little too far, poob.

Quoted:
Is there some kind of mix it yourself plastic out there? I know anout epoxy and polyester resins but is the anything a bit simpler and cheaper?

Specifically, I want to fill an AR grip so I can drill it and make a shifter knob.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:39:42 PM EDT
[#4]

For the Vette?

You crazy wildhaired guy, you!  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:41:13 PM EDT
[#5]
PUHLEEZE dont tell me you bought a Satin Corvette jacket.  Or ANY Corvette logo clothing for that matter.  PUHLEEZE!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:42:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:49:45 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
That's a simple epoxy job. Use one of the little twin-tube syringes sold at home depot etc and you're set.

If you want to get fancy, sink a nut of the correct thread in the end with the last bit of the fill.

It's a big space, a couple onces or more I figure and the nut would need to be at the top.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:59:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Hahahahahahaha!

No satin jacket, aint gonna happen and the only corvette thingy I got was a beer coolie because I just had to!

I just put a Hurst in the car and the stock shift knob aint gonna cut it now. I have a few A2 pistol grips lying around so the wheels got to turning and here I am.

I've done a little pre-fitting and checking and I think this might just be the ticket, and it's not one of those chrome HOMO knobs or some cheezy vette gee gaw with matching leather weiner stitching. It's evil and black and a gun part.

Shit, if this works well, I might just sell them. These corvette guys pay huge bucks for stuff and call it corvette tax! Some guy sells drilled billiard balls for $75!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:01:16 PM EDT
[#9]
How do you like the Hurst shifter?  I have read mixed opinions.

Quoted:
Hahahahahahaha!

No satin jacket, aint gonna happen and the only corvette thingy I got was a beer coolie because I just had to!

I just put a Hurst in the car and the stock shift knob aint gonna cut it now. I have a few A2 pistol grips lying around so the wheels got to turning and here I am.

I've done a little pre-fitting and checking and I think this might just be the ticket, and it's not one of those chrome HOMO knobs or some cheezy vette gee gaw with matching leather weiner stitching. It's evil and black and a gun part.

Shit, if this works well, I might just sell them. These corvette guys pay huge bucks for stuff and call it corvette tax! Some guy sells drilled billiard balls for $75!

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:01:18 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a big space, a couple onces or more I figure and the nut would need to be at the top.

Find a bolt with the same thread pattern as your shifter. Place bolt with nut in grip and secure. Mix 5 minute epoxy (hobby shops have 8 oz bottles) and fill. When the epoxy sets, place grip in a padded vice and unscrew the bolt. If the main length is threaded, it'll be easier, and if you're concerned about not being able to unscrew it, coat the metal bits with a good coat of vaseline. Don't coat the outside of the nut--you want the epoxy to hold.....

The epoxy won't stick to the vaseline if you goop it on over the threads...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:05:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Hahahahahahaha!

I spent $75 on my billiard ball set to play billiards.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:21:50 PM EDT
[#12]
The Hurst is great but it's a personal thing for sure, some guys hate 'em and take 'em off.

Shifting is extremely precise and the throws are a lot shorter, as is the shifter itself which reduces the leverage increasing the effort. It comes with different centering springs and I have the lightest ones in now and I'm realizing the increased effort is from the loss of leverage, not the springs. That's why the stock shift knob wont work, because I cant grab it right anymore.

It's impossible to miss a gear once you convince yourself that you have actually shifted (the throws are so short it doesnt feel like you've shifted all the way) and I get reverse first time everytime now.

I've been driving a stick for years and this is a huge step up from any stock shifter.

Acryglass...hmmm, off to check brownells for price.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:31:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Where did you get yours?  I am going to look into this again...

Quoted:
The Hurst is great but it's a personal thing for sure, some guys hate 'em and take 'em off.

Shifting is extremely precise and the throws are a lot shorter, as is the shifter itself which reduces the leverage increasing the effort. It comes with different centering springs and I have the lightest ones in now and I'm realizing the increased effort is from the loss of leverage, not the springs. That's why the stock shift knob wont work, because I cant grab it right anymore.

It's impossible to miss a gear once you convince yourself that you have actually shifted (the throws are so short it doesnt feel like you've shifted all the way) and I get reverse first time everytime now.

I've been driving a stick for years and this is a huge step up from any stock shifter.

Acryglass...hmmm, off to check brownells for price.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:37:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Here:

forums.corvetteforum.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=53

Used Hursts go for 140-150 shipped, retail they're like 225. Install is a snap.

What kind of car you got?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:43:44 PM EDT
[#15]
'04 Coupe
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:52:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
'04 Coupe

You're in. Watch the EE there, shifters for sale every day or two.

'00 FRC here.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:55:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Fill the bulk of the void with expanding foam.  Fill the last 1/2 inch with epoxy and the nut.

SRM
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:55:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Bondo? its made to fill large spaces...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:57:52 PM EDT
[#19]
use that putty you mix together and it becomes like a rock. It is drillable when it dries in a day. I forget name atm.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:51:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Thread the barrel of a Glock screw in on,and you will have a good feeling PLASTIC shifter!!!!

Bob
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top