Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2006 12:26:26 PM EDT
That guy had a bunch of nice toys. Did firearm manufacturing pay for all that stuff or was he wealthy by other means I wonder ?

So the Gunmakers' protection Bill didn't go back and cover this huh ?

Former gun-maker's auction raises more than $500,000

Posted January 19, 2006, 2:58 PM EST

DAYTONA BEACH -- More than half a million dollars was raised today from an auction of pricey cars, planes, boats and motorcycles owned by former gun-maker Bruce Jennings.

The Jennings auction raised money that will be placed in his bankruptcy account and will largely benefit a 19-year-old California man left a quadriplegic by one of Jennings' guns.

However, the winning bidder for most of the 21 items was Jennings' mother, who bought several items, including two of the motorcycles, one of the planes and three of the cars.

Brandon Maxfield was 7 years old when he was left paralyzed by a gunshot. A California jury decided in 2003 that the gun was defective, making the gun manufacturer Jennings liable for $24 million.

But the day after the verdict was issued, Jennings filed for bankruptcy and moved into a million-dollar home at the Spruce Creek Fly-In Community in Port Orange.

Today's auction was a liquidation of several of Jennings' valued possessions, including four planes, several luxury vehicles includes a Ferrari, a Porsche, and a Bentley, two boats and three motorcycles.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/volusia/orl-bk-daytonaauction011906,0,1415628.story?track=rss

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:30:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I never owned a Jennings...but that is bullshit....didn't the kids uncle shoot him?

As for the toys, It's notlike his collection rivaled Leno's....
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:33:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Well by my calculations he is still 23.5 million short, gota sell a lot of $200 pistols for that kinda jack.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:34:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Well by my calculations he is still 23.5 million short, gota sell a lot of $200 pistols for that kinda jack.

The defective ones, that fire a projectile when someone pulls the trigger.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:42:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I could understand if the gun was manufactured wrong and that was the cause of the injury. But for some reason, I think Killafornians decided that it was defective based on the idea that the bullets aren't smart enough to not hit people
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:09:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Jennings .22s could be had for $36.00 a piece back in the day (retail)
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:15:56 PM EDT
[#6]
they ruled it defective because in order to rack the slide to unload it, the safety had to be off.  the guys uncle was attempting to unload it, and shot the boy.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:20:27 PM EDT
[#7]

I thought the NRA put into affect a law that would prohibit unlawful lawsuits against firearms manufactures?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:20:45 PM EDT
[#8]
1) That isn't defective, it's a design flaw. One that a LOT of firearms have.

2) Why was the gun pointed at him in the first place?

3) You still gotta pull the trigger to fire the gun.

I think California's defective. Let's sue it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:21:11 PM EDT
[#9]
he went bankrupt because the guns were junk.. I bought the .22's or .25's when my kids were just starting to shoot auto pistols at 5-6 years old...it was a good size for their hands...we shot the guns for a few hundred rounds and then they were trash...  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top