Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2006 10:31:27 AM EDT
Most on this site won't care about this but I had to share the good news.  
Now my medical benefits at work just changed and I will now have to pick
up a significant amount of my prescription cost.  

Under the new benefits plan the cost of Nexium (40mg) for the year would have probably
cost me about  $900.  Ouch!     Well I've heard it mentioned that Prilosec OTC
works just as well for most people and you can get it over the counter.  Estimated cost
for a years supply. = $240.  Just called Walgreens and spoke with a pharmacist and she
confirmed that Prilosec OTC works as well as Nexium for most people.

Screw you GEICO.....just try and beat those savings!!    

I promised to come back report how well the Prilosec OTC was working for me as opposed to the very expensive Nexium.  I've only been taking Prilosec for 6 days now but I've had no heart burn in that time.  When I was taking the generic Zantac (150 mg twice a day) I still had heartburn frequently and had to take Tums at least once a week to compliment the prescription.  I only say this to give some you some idea of how frequent my heartburn was.  The Nexium was a huge relief but I'm please to say that the Prilosec OTC has me equally impressed.

Now back to the beer.    
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:33:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Uhhh I just had a post the other day saying that Prilosec kicks ass. I've been using it since Monday and have not had any heartburn at all since.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:35:13 AM EDT
[#2]
My wife and I have good insurance, a $10.00 copay, was not like that a few years ago. I took Prilosec for 3 years,( when I had no prescription coverage)  now I take Nexium. If I loose my insurance for some reason, I will do the Prilosec OTC, please post your results of taking it, I would like to know.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:41:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Well what I've been using is OTC. It's only been since Monday, but so far it's been great.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:46:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm going to try it once my curretn bottle of Nexium is finished.....thanks!

Bomber
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:07:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Took Prevacid for years.  Thought I would die without it.  Give Priloscec a week and take it at the same time every day.  AM works for me.  The problem is Prilosec is price controlled so no matter where  you buy it it will be about the same price.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:27:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Nexium, Prilosec, Aciphex, Protonix, Prevacid, et al are all proton pump inhibitors - all designed to do the same thing - decrease acid production by the stomach.  Some people do fine w/ any of the meds in the class, some fair better w/ a particular med.

Prilosec is essentially the same as Nexium (esomeprazole (the "S" isomer of omeprazole) vs. omeprazole (which contains both "S" & "R" isomers)) supposedly, only the "S" isomer has significant activity.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:21:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Nexium, Prilosec, Aciphex, Protonix, Prevacid, et al are all proton pump inhibitors - all designed to do the same thing - decrease acid production by the stomach.  Some people do fine w/ any of the meds in the class, some fair better w/ a particular med.

Prilosec is essentially the same as Nexium (esomeprazole (the "S" isomer of omeprazole) vs. omeprazole (which contains both "S" & "R" isomers)) supposedly, only the "S" isomer has significant activity.

All correct FWIW.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:30:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the backup - I think I earned my little pen from the Pharm Rep ;)

All kidding aside, I've had patients on all of them at one time or another (and everyone of them who comes into the hospital on our service now gets protonix - it's on formulary here) - I really haven't seen anyone do poorly on protonix (or on prevacid when it was our PPI-of-choice) when they were on another brand of PPI. Of course, YMMV.

GERD is no joke, and you really should be seen by a GI guy for an eval/upper endoscopy.   There are many procedures available now to help fight it - including fundoplication, the Stretta procedure, etc...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:36:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Check out Costco.  I think you can beat that price for Prilosec OTC.

Nexium is the active isomer of Prilosec.  You can argue they are theoretically the same.  The biggest reason prilosec doesn't work is that it's not prescription, therefore, most assume it is "not as strong" as Nexium.

Nexium came out when the Prilosec patent was about to expire. Coincidence?

ETA

Quoted:

She took mine back when I asked how taking the inert ingredients out of a med made it a new, better med worth $120-200 per month?

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:37:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Been using Prilosec OTC for about a year.  It works as well as the prescription Prilosec, which worked great.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:38:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

All kidding aside, I've had patients on all of them at one time or another (and everyone of them who comes into the hospital on our service now gets protonix - it's on formulary here) - I really haven't seen anyone do poorly on protonix (or on prevacid when it was our PPI-of-choice) when they were on another brand of PPI. Of course, YMMV.

GERD is no joke, and you really should be seen by a GI guy for an eval/upper endoscopy.   There are many procedures available now to help fight it - including fundoplication, the Stretta procedure, etc...

I figure it always helps if someone confirms info otherwise there somebody who comes along and recommends tabasco enemas or some such BS.

I really do push lifestyle changes for a lot of this kind of thing. Weight loss can help a lot as well.

For the original poster, it is not uncommon for your insurance to pick up the cost of OTC meds like prilosec OTC if your doc will write a Rx for them.  It is a good deal for them if they do so.
Just thought that might help.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:39:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

For the original poster, it is not uncommon for your insurance to pick up the cost of OTC meds like prilosec OTC if your doc will write a Rx for them.  It is a good deal for them if they do so.

And that is why insurance is so expensive.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:40:03 PM EDT
[#13]
[
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:41:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Nexium came out when the Prilosec patent was about to expire. Coincidence?

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:44:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Just called a pharmacist friend for clarification... she stated difference between prilosec and prilosec OTC is the company had to change the "structure" for the OTC part. I guess they had to add "magnesium" to be able to classify as OTC but otherwise the drug is the same.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:46:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And that is why insurance is so expensive.

Well, for those that won't the pts just want more expensive Rx meds and the price difference is substantial as you know.

The Welfare bunch wants prescriptions for tylenol and advil and then they sometimes even stand there with their handout waiting for your own personal contribution to their need.

I have on a few ocassions helped people out with a few bucks but never the losers who work the system. They can KMA.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:48:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Just called a pharmacist friend for clarification... she stated difference between prilosec and prilosec OTC is the company had to change the "structure" for the OTC part. I guess they had to add "magnesium" to be able to classify as OTC but otherwise the drug is the same.  

Let me see....

You've just had 3 docs tell you the exact same fucking thing and....
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:50:06 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I figure it always helps if someone confirms info otherwise there somebody who comes along and recommends tabasco enemas or some such BS.

I really do push lifestyle changes for a lot of this kind of thing. Weight loss can help a lot as well.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I did check and my insurance won't pick up Prilosec OTC because it's "over the counter".  The fact that I NEED something is irrelevant.  I guess I could be an ass and make both myself and the insurer suffer with the higher cost of the Nexium since their head is up their ass.     I've done the endoscopy and I have GERD with a hiatal hernia.  I was on the generic Zantac (2 -150mg tabs a day) and that just didn't cut it.  Had to go back to the Nexium but I wish my doctor would have suggested (or realized) that Prilosec should offer the same relief at much less cost.  But he didn't and I had to get my information "off the street".  I'll try to remember to get back to the board with the result of my switch.  Still have 3 weeks worth of Nexium left.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:52:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Took Prevacid for years. Thought I would die without it. Give Priloscec a week and take it at the same time every day. AM works for me. The problem is Prilosec is price controlled so no matter where you buy it it will be about the same price.

+1  THe OTC is great!  GERD sucks.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:54:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me see....

I just had 3 docs tell "me" that magnesium was added to prilosec OTC? Care to point that out?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:05:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Coupon in this Sunday's paper (22nd) for Prilosec OTC - runs about $25 for 42 @ Sam's

Another Omeprazole which works very well is Zegerid - 40 mg powder (non-enteric coated) Rx only, mix up a batch every morning. 1/4 glass of water, mix in the powder, chase with another 1/4 glass of water. Works very well.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:06:33 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me see....

I just had 3 docs tell "me" that magnesium was added to prilosec OTC? Care to point that out?

Not what I meant at all.  All 3 of us told you it is one stereoisomer of omeprazole. The active one.

And the Mg has nothing to do with anything.

If you change the structure it is a different chemical compound, ie a different drug, ie not omeprazole. It is a marketing gimic to get around patent laws which if it were a different molecule you would call it something different and go thru a new patent with new licensing rights.  Of coure you would then also have to go thru the entire study and safety process again.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:11:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me see....

Not what I meant at all.  All 3 of us told you it is one stereoisomer of omeprazole. The active one.

And the Mg has nothing to do with anything.

If you change the structure it is a different chemical compound, ie a different drug, ie not omeprazole. It is a marketing gimic to get around patent laws which if it were a different molecule you would call it something different and go thru a new patent with new licensing rights.  Of coure you would then also have to go thru the entire study and safety process again.

You lost me with the chemical names since I'm not a pharm.   I  understand now where you are coming from now since you explained
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:15:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Magnesium is part of the molecular formula of Nexium (the generic name is esomeprazole magnesium)  as well.  Not much of a change, if you ask me.

<---not a Doc, BTW - just your mild mannered PA
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:39:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Magnesium is part of the molecular formula of Nexium (the generic name is esomeprazole magnesium)  as well.  Not much of a change, if you ask me.

<---not a Doc, BTW - just your mild mannered PA

Well then you're just....

....flotsam.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#26]
BTW - Pepcid AC or whatever it is does nothing for me.

Prilosec is basically the price everywhere.   The makers let Walgreens, CVS,  Wally, whoever run a coupon or whatever from time to time but the price never varies much.  How about a arfcom price check.....coast to coast???   We'll file an antitrust suit (not really).
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:49:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
BTW - Pepcid AC or whatever it is does nothing for me.

Prilosec is basically the price everywhere.   The makers let Walgreens, CVS,  Wally, whoever run a coupon or whatever from time to time but the price never varies much.  How about a arfcom price check.....coast to coast???   We'll file an antitrust suit (not really).

Used to be $22.46 @ Sam's (72) and just went up to $25 & change - pretty much same price everywhere - coupons for $1-3 are not uncommon.

Nexium was indeed a dodge to get around patents expiring, although there is some purported benefit for erosive esophagus & higher bioavailability, if you have Rx coverage, go for it, if not Prilosec is pretty much the same deal. The Zegerid resolved some cases which were not being addressed by Prilosec, runs about 8 weeks for the full regimen (~$4 a day, comes in a box of 30 pouches/$120) then back on the Prilosec or whatever,

hey wait a minute, I'm not a Doc, Pharmacist or even a PA, I'm outta this thread!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:55:07 PM EDT
[#28]
I couldn't believe how much my Nexium cost.  I paid $40 for a 90 day supply.  Insurance company paid $380.

Wow.  Thank goodness for insurance.  Just wish the bastards would have covered Prevacid instead.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:26:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Depends on whether you have just 'frequent heartburn' or acid reflux disease. I have ARD and have used OTC and its useless to me. I know nexium costs more but for sufferers of ARD its worth it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:34:42 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
The Zegerid resolved some cases which were not being addressed by Prilosec, runs about 8 weeks for the full regimen (~$4 a day, comes in a box of 30 pouches/$120) then back on the Prilosec or whatever,

Do what Zegrid essentially is?  Prilosec and .......baking soda. Yup.

Take a frickin Tums with your Prilosec.

You should have seen the look on the drug tart's face when I pointed that little nugget out to her.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:45:12 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I would rather jump into a shredder than have another episode of GERD. Weight loss and a complete 180 on the diet is what finally ended my misery. I am pill free now for almost a year.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:47:30 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Zegerid resolved some cases which were not being addressed by Prilosec, runs about 8 weeks for the full regimen (~$4 a day, comes in a box of 30 pouches/$120) then back on the Prilosec or whatever,

Do what Zegrid essentially is?  Prilosec and .......baking soda. Yup.

Take a frickin Tums with your Prilosec.

You should have seen the look on the drug tart's face when I pointed that little nugget out to her.

Well aware of the constituents. Prilosec (OTC) is enteric coated, (to pass through the stomach unaffected until into the intestine) - I've used both (and Nexium) as have several others, and it has shown a marked improvement. If I want to spend the time to break out the mortar & pestle, and scales to divvy everything up, one probably could gin up their own.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:25:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Whoops.  Updated the original thread.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:58:58 AM EDT
[#34]

I promised to come back report how well the Prilosec OTC was working for me as opposed to the very expensive Nexium. I've only been taking Prilosec for 6 days now but I've had no heart burn in that time. When I was taking the generic Zantac (150 mg twice a day) I still had heartburn frequently and had to take Tums at least once a week to compliment the prescription. I only say this to give some you some idea of how frequent my heartburn was. The Nexium was a huge relief but I'm please to say that the Prilosec OTC has me equally impressed

I ' glad it worked for you but I'm not that lucky. Upon reading this thread I bought some Prilosec form Costco and tried it for a week. No dice, had to go back to the Nexium. Your main issue seemed to be heartburn whereas my issue is and upset stomach.

Thanks for the lead anyhow.

Bomber
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:18:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:04:50 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Mindless drones,  Prilosec cost just as much as the current prescription drugs, before FDA approved it for over the counter.

Of course your doctor prescribed Nexium, the drug sale reps pay big bucks and gifts to doctors to push thier drugs not over the counter remidies.  Your doctor was prescribing Prilosec before Nexium came out due to Prilosec being over the counter.

I used Prilosec a prescription drug for 10yrs and Prevacid another 5. Now I just use the Prilosec an OTC rather than deal with prescriptions.

Well good for you...Prilosec doesn't work on everyone. Nice to call people who are doing the same thing you have done "mindless". I guess it takes one to know one
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:04:55 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Of course your doctor prescribed Nexium, the drug sale reps pay big bucks and gifts to doctors to push thier drugs not over the counter remidies.

Total

Mindless drones,  Prilosec cost just as much as the current prescription drugs, before FDA approved it for over the counter.

Your doctor was prescribing Prilosec before Nexium came out due to Prilosec being over the counter.

That is all true. Same shit.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:09:16 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course your doctor prescribed Nexium, the drug sale reps pay big bucks and gifts to doctors to push thier drugs not over the counter remidies.  Your doctor was prescribing Prilosec before Nexium came out due to Prilosec being over the counter.

I used Prilosec a prescription drug for 10yrs and Prevacid another 5. Now I just use the Prilosec an OTC rather than deal with prescriptions.

Well good for...Prilosec doesn't work on everyone. Nice to call people who are doing the same thing you have done "mindless". I guess it takes one to know one

Well prilosec and Nexium are basically the same thing.  The difference in your experience may have been due to dosing.  You would have to approx double the dose of prilosec to get the same effect as Nexium.  Both are omeprazole however.  If you don't understand that, I explained why in an earlier post.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:32:58 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well good for...Prilosec doesn't work on everyone. Nice to call people who are doing the same thing you have done "mindless". I guess it takes one to know one

Well prilosec and Nexium are basically the same thing.  The difference in your experience may have been due to dosing.  You would have to approx double the dose of prilosec to get the same effect as Nexium.  Both are omeprazole however.  If you don't understand that, I explained why in an earlier post.

Let me spell out my point. The original premise of the thread was Prilosec OTC may represent a cost savings over prescription Nexium. This premise implies that they are basically the same drug or would have the same desired result. Obviously, whether it's cost effective or not depends on several factors:

1. Your cost net of your insurance if any.
2. Your acquisition cost of Prilosec
3. The effectiveness of the Prilosec wrt Nexium. Obviously dosing plays a role here.

I evaluated 1 & 2 and for me, it was basically cost neutral (not yet considering #3). The primary advantage was eliminating the need for a prescription and the time investment required to get them filled. I tried Prilosec for 1 week and found at the OTC dosage, it was not effective. In order to realize the desired benefit, I would have to increase my dose, which then significantly altered the cost/benefit analysis.

If folks would try to give people the benefit of the doubt and maybe read in between the lines a little, rather that try to show us how smart they are, this website would be more valuable.

In short, "seek first to understand, then to be understood".

Not everyone is an idiot.

Bomber

I would also like to point out this earlier post:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All correct FWIW.

Maybe in addition to the difference in dosing, I fall into this catagory
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:54:50 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let me spell out my point. The original premise of the thread was Prilosec OTC may represent a cost savings over prescription Nexium. This premise implies that they are basically the same drug or would have the same desired result. Obviously, whether it's cost effective or not depends on several factors:

1. Your cost net of your insurance if any.
2. Your acquisition cost of Prilosec
3. The effectiveness of the Prilosec wrt Nexium. Obviously dosing plays a role here.

I evaluated 1 & 2 and for me, it was basically cost neutral (not yet considering #3). The primary advantage was eliminating the need for a prescription and the time investment required to get them filled. I tried Prilosec for 1 week and found at the OTC dosage, it was not effective. In order to realize the desired benefit, I would have to increase my dose, which then significantly altered the cost/benefit analysis.

If folks would try to give people the benefit of the doubt and maybe read in between the lines a little, rather that try to show us how smart they are, this website would be more valuable.

In short, "seek first to understand, then to be understood".

Not everyone is an idiot.

Bomber

I don't remember calling you and idiot.
I was trying to explain and to clarify for others reading this.
In any event, the information I have given is accurate and if it made you feel like an idiot it was not my intent but perhaps more due to your own self perception. As below....

I would also like to point out this earlier post:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All correct FWIW.

Maybe in addition to the difference in dosing, I fall into this catagory

Prilosec and Nexium are THE SAME DRUG.  You launch into some long diatribe about how you are not an idiot, while trying to call me one, blah, blah, blah yet seem unable to grasp the basic concept at work here.

Prevacid is a different drug. Aciphex is a different drug. Protonix is a different drug.  All are Proton Pump Inhibitors.

Prilosec and Nexium are both Omeprazole. IOW, they are THE SAME DRUG.
If you understood organic chemistry you would understand the concept of stereoisomers.  Nexium is one stereoisomer of omeprazole, Prilosec has both. Etc, etc, etc...
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:47:19 AM EDT
[#41]

If you don't understand that, I explained why in an earlier post.

Yea I got that. It was established earlier.

Prilosec and Nexium are THE SAME DRUG

I never said they were different....did I?

I don't remember calling you and idiot

I never said you called me an idiot, did I?

Mindless drones

This is what I was refering too along with your pointing out something that you just got through saying. I read your earlier post.

If you don't understand that, I explained why in an earlier post.

You launch into some long diatribe

It wasn't a diatribe, it was akin this:

I was trying to explain and to clarify for others reading this

Bomber
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:58:43 AM EDT
[#42]
I am not the one who made the "mindless drone" comment.

I have provided good and correct info for those looking for it. As such I am out of here.

Lifestyle changes are essential.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top