Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2006 7:26:09 PM EDT
Can someone hook me up with a reputable source for the statistics of handguns used defenseively vs hand guns used illegaly for breakins and muggings and such? Its for an argument with my mom. She actually told me she'd give up the antigun sentiment if i could show her handguns are used more for good than evil.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:31:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:35:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
She actually told me she'd give up the antigun sentiment if i could show her handguns are used more for good than evil.

A challenge like that rarely comes from someone who will actually change.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:59:43 PM EDT
[#3]
She tricked you, of course there are more crimes.  Try a different approach.

www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_04/
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:58:34 AM EDT
[#4]

Start with the mother of all crime statistics, the FBI Uniform Crime Report.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:15:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
<Snip> show her handguns are used more for good than evil.<Snip>

A primary factor is how you define "good".  I would say that millions of firearms stored in dresser drawers or in closets and rarely ever used still constitute "good" because they are there just in case and provide safety if they are ever needed.  Just like a fire extinguisher.  It can save your life, but otherwise it just frickin' sits there.  Is the fire extinguisher "good"?

Why yes.  Yes it is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top