Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2006 5:09:36 PM EDT
I read the whole thing here www.pitch.com/Issues/2006-01-19/news/feature.html

It pops up on Yahoo news, some magazine in Kansas City, MO.  I don't doubt that the story could be true but I guess you could say the reporting is SLIGHTLY biased against the military. This is just the first few paragraphs they get into the meth part on the next page

Soldiers of Meth
Meth addiction, adultery and murder. Welcome to today's Army.

Published: Thursday, January 19, 2006

Clad in desert fatigues and clutching M-16 rifles, four soldiers circle a wounded dog in the desert wasteland. Its hind legs are crushed. It has been slowly baking in the 120-degree heat. The men decide to rush its fate.

Backed by a dozen men and four Bradley tanks, the soldiers have blockaded a road to search suspicious vehicles a few miles outside the commandeered Tallil airstrip in southern Iraq. The men belong to the 41st Infantry Division, Bravo Company, a mechanized unit of 130 men from Fort Riley, Kansas. Their motto: straight and stalwart. The 41st has been on front lines from D-Day to Bosnia to the 1991 Gulf War.

It's March 2003, and the men are edgy. Operation Iraqi Freedom is days old. They've been in hostile territory for a few days, but the soldiers in Bravo Company have yet to field-test their electronic-scope M-16s with live rounds. This will kill two birds with one stone, figures Sgt. Asher Fink. Test the weapons. Put the mutt out of its misery. He orders the men to lock their scopes on the whimpering target. When he gives the order, they unload.

The dog explodes like a piñata.

In the squad is a private in his early twenties named Eric Colvin. From rural Papillion, Nebraska, Colvin is tall, with birdlike features. He's covered in macabre tattoos — his forearm boasts a fair-skinned archangel battling a black dragon. During the company's tour of Iraq, Colvin will develop a reputation as the company's crazy bastard. He'll watch a man burn alive and see a little girl's head get blown off. Part of his duty in the company is to raid corpses. He searches fresh kills and rummages through coffins to secure weapons. He talks about having nothing to come home to. His mom sold all of his belongings when he joined the Army.

Killing the dog also affects Colvin. Months later, the 41st Infantry Division moves south to the outskirts of the city of Hilla, running patrols through slums laced with insurgents. When they find a pair of sick puppies, Colvin figures he knows what to do.

What happens next is the first step in what will become the twisted legacy of Eric Colvin. The Pitch has pieced together that history from court documents; interviews with soldiers, their friends and families; and news reports from the Associated Press, the Manhattan Mercury and the Daily Union of Junction City. When Bravo returns to Fort Riley in July 2003, Colvin will become the central figure in a drug scheme that will divide his company. Soldiers will turn their own guns on one another.

"Let's put them out of their misery," he repeats constantly, trying to convince the others to kill them.

Finally, with a few soldiers looking on warily, Colvin gathers the pups. One by one, he snaps their necks.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:14:16 PM EDT
[#1]
bradley tanks and electronic scopes, fucking dumbass reporters...
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:21:15 PM EDT
[#2]
i call bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:24:00 PM EDT
[#3]
don't they have standing orders to shoot dogs over there???

And I call bullshit
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:26:44 PM EDT
[#4]
smells like bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:30:23 PM EDT
[#5]
How the f could you write a story in that much detail without being there .
Eta i believe the story but this guy seems to have stretched it a bit.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:31:12 PM EDT
[#6]
In the meantime, Nick Bergs head is being sawed off........oh...I'm sorry...what was I thinking.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:39:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i call bullshit.

Please call the Army and tell them its bullshit.

While you are at it tell the dead guy too. He will be relieved.

www.riley.army.mil/newspaper/Archive/021705%20Post.pdf

www.wjla.com/news/stories/0605/235186.html

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,159341,00.html

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:43:39 PM EDT
[#8]
If you read the whole atricle, it sounds like shooting dogs was the least of his issues. Yeah, the Pitch is our local treehugger mag. good if your looking to see where your favorite band is playing but for real news they are kinda scetchy.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:09:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If you read the whole atricle, it sounds like shooting dogs was the least of his issues. Yeah, the Pitch is our local treehugger mag. good if your looking to see where your favorite band is playing but for real news they are kinda scetchy.

+1
The best thing about the Pitch is that it's free......handy whenever you're training a puppy or such...........
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:22:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I read the whole thing here www.pitch.com/Issues/2006-01-19/news/feature.html

It pops up on Yahoo news, some magazine in Kansas City, MO.  I don't doubt that the story could be true but I guess you could say the reporting is SLIGHTLY biased against the military. This is just the first few paragraphs they get into the meth part on the next page

Soldiers of Meth
Meth addiction, adultery and murder. Welcome to today's Army.

Published: Thursday, January 19, 2006

Clad in desert fatigues and clutching M-16 rifles, four soldiers circle a wounded dog in the desert wasteland. Its hind legs are crushed. It has been slowly baking in the 120-degree heat. The men decide to rush its fate.

Backed by a dozen men and four Bradley tanks, the soldiers have blockaded a road to search suspicious vehicles a few miles outside the commandeered Tallil airstrip in southern Iraq. The men belong to the 41st Infantry Division, Bravo Company, a mechanized unit of 130 men from Fort Riley, Kansas. Their motto: straight and stalwart. The 41st has been on front lines from D-Day to Bosnia to the 1991 Gulf War.

It's March 2003, and the men are edgy. Operation Iraqi Freedom is days old. They've been in hostile territory for a few days, but the soldiers in Bravo Company have yet to field-test their electronic-scope M-16s with live rounds. This will kill two birds with one stone, figures Sgt. Asher Fink. Test the weapons. Put the mutt out of its misery. He orders the men to lock their scopes on the whimpering target. When he gives the order, they unload.

The dog explodes like a piñata.

In the squad is a private in his early twenties named Eric Colvin. From rural Papillion, Nebraska, Colvin is tall, with birdlike features. He's covered in macabre tattoos — his forearm boasts a fair-skinned archangel battling a black dragon. During the company's tour of Iraq, Colvin will develop a reputation as the company's crazy bastard. He'll watch a man burn alive and see a little girl's head get blown off. Part of his duty in the company is to raid corpses. He searches fresh kills and rummages through coffins to secure weapons. He talks about having nothing to come home to. His mom sold all of his belongings when he joined the Army.

Killing the dog also affects Colvin. Months later, the 41st Infantry Division moves south to the outskirts of the city of Hilla, running patrols through slums laced with insurgents. When they find a pair of sick puppies, Colvin figures he knows what to do.

What happens next is the first step in what will become the twisted legacy of Eric Colvin. The Pitch has pieced together that history from court documents; interviews with soldiers, their friends and families; and news reports from the Associated Press, the Manhattan Mercury and the Daily Union of Junction City. When Bravo returns to Fort Riley in July 2003, Colvin will become the central figure in a drug scheme that will divide his company. Soldiers will turn their own guns on one another.

"Let's put them out of their misery," he repeats constantly, trying to convince the others to kill them.

Finally, with a few soldiers looking on warily, Colvin gathers the pups. One by one, he snaps their necks.

This is the biggest bunch of BS I have read in awhile. Raiding Corpses? WTF, I KNOW who is the one smoking crack here. Who the hell puts an "electronic" scope on then does not bother to zero it and try it out before going "out"?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:30:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Old News  I read about this a year ago in a Magazine at work

There's always gonna be people in the Military that use Drugs and commit crimes

The good news is that there's a helluva lot of GOOD people in our Military
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:32:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Shrug.  Leftist twit is making too much of a few bad apples.  It's not as if there have never been criminals in the military before.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:36:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Old News  I read about this a year ago in a Magazine at work

There's always gonna be people in the Military that use Drugs and commit crimes

The good news is that there's a helluva lot of GOOD people in our Military

+1 Without a doubt

I mainly just posted the article above because of the dumbass's anti-military message, not so much for the actual facts of the story if there are any. Those opening paragraphs sound like a story a 12 year old would write. Everyone knows a 5.56/.223 can't make a dog explode like a piñata
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:37:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Shrug.  Leftist twit is making too much of a few bad apples.  It's not as if there have never been criminals in the military before.

Very true.

The biggest problem I hear about meth is from a friend of mine in the USMC.  He knows too many kids in his unit that have no "home" to go back to on leave.  Mom and/or Dad are strung out on meth, sold all of their/his shit and try to scam the kid in giving them money, etc.  It really depressed me.  Sad state of affairs.  Kid is off doing something honorable and you are sitting at home fucked up on meth.  What a waste.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:41:55 PM EDT
[#15]
raiding corpses = EPW search (in liberal reporter dialect)
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:42:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Reporters are often corrupt liars, begging for an audience to see their name on a story, so they will do whatever they can to attract attention to it. A few minor things wrong here and there may not get them in trouble (btw, how exactly do you snap a puppy's neck?).

On the other hand, soldiers are sometimes poor, uneducated, and sometimes disgusting and dishonorable people that are at a dead-end in life and the service is all they have between being dead, in jail or homeless. Many are disturbed kids.

Lets face it, everywhere you look, people aren't perfect and who the fuck knows what to believe unless you saw it for yourself.

- rem
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:45:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
WTF Soldiers of Meth - Meth addiction, adultery and murder. Welcome to today's Army

Not far from the truth. The Army is plagued by people like this. Quite a few of them dont quite grasp they are NOT IN THE HOOD anymore.

Not long ago here at Bagram AB a soldier robbed the satelite TV stand with an M16 and made off with the cash. WTF? Listen up G, Ya aint in da hood no more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top