Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/18/2006 3:29:37 PM EDT
I'm not trying to start a flame war here, I'm just trying to scope out my M1A and not blow a bunch of money in the process.

I'm just wondering though, why would say, a 4-12x40 scope be so much more expensive if it was made by Leupold, as opposed to Tasco or BSA?  What is it about Leupold that makes it worth the extra money?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:31:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Some times you get what you pay for,, Leupold is one of those times.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:33:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a cheap Wal-Mart scope and it does exactly what I need it to do. So to me, $300+ scopes are not worth it. But then again, im only shooting maybe 150-200 yards....
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:36:37 PM EDT
[#3]
to awnser your question yes.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:36:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, it is worth it.   out of my many leupold scopes i had one with an artifact on the reticle.   Sent it back, they said "yep, somethings wrong, we'll fix it."   they did fix it and fully refurbish it, and sent it back to me no charge.

if you want to scope and M1A why don't you look for a cheaper but still reputable brand like weaver, maybe nikon?   Even the new simmons models (with the red ring) look promising since meade bought them and redesigned the whole way the scope works.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Can you go a little deeper?  I'm eyeballing a VX-1 4x12-40 right now, and just need to figure out why this is the worth the extra dough.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:39:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:39:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you go a little deeper?  I'm eyeballing a VX-1 4x12-40 right now, and just need to figure out why this is the worth the extra dough.

better coatings on the glass, tighter QC, better design, NOT CHINA CRAP.

there is a reason you see these in the sand box................
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:42:49 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

in comparison to tasco or BSA, leupold scopes are several steps above in workmanship, quality and design.  those attributes cost money, therefore the greater price.

besides, the price at swfa www.riflescopes.com lists the price as $250.  compared to the $60 tasco i would get the leupold every day of the week and twice on tuesdays.   nothing quite like knowing it is not the scope's fault when you are trying to diagnose a problem

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:46:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Best advice I can give you is buy a cheap POS like BSA use it for 3-4 months then go buy a real scope use it for 2 weeks if you can not tell the difference then go back to the BSA and sell the Leupold.  There are a lot of people that can not tell the difference in an Optic I wouldnt use on a pellet gun and 3000 dollar piece of glass.    Good scopes cost money, personally I dont like the Leupold VX lines but if you think that is pricey you would have a heart attcka buying a Leupy Mark 4  I would recomend a Nikon in the lower price range before I would a VX-1  VX-II or VX-III but I would highly recomend a VX-I over a BSA or Tasco
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:53:12 PM EDT
[#11]
My next scope is going to be a Leupold.

Does that answer your Question?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I have Leupold scopes on all my rifles.  I can shoot one today and know that it won't change the next time I shoot it.  When I crank the elevation up two clicks, the bullett moves up two clicks.  Take your Tasco or BSA and move the windage and elevation up 4 inches right 4 inchs down 4 inches and left 4 inches and see where your bullet winds up.  With a Leupold you will be right back where you started.

Over the years I have wasted lots of money on cheep scopes.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:55:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, though I like Nikon optics better.  However, take a look at a few scopes.  You will be amazed how much more clear a $250 scope is than a $80 scope.  Also zero's tend to shift more in cheaper scopes, though some people seem to have a lot of luck with cheap scopes.  Everytime I buy a rifle that will need an optic I just assume that I will spend $250+.  You have a $1,300 rifle, it needs a good scope.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes.  Or at least put the same dollar amount into the scope.   Almost all my glass has the Gold Ring on it.  I've played with, bought a few, and shot through scopes of equal price to a Luepold.  Pretty comparable in clarity and brightness.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:57:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I always took Leupold with scopes kind of like Seiko is with watches; they are both a good solid product for the price but not too expensive.

That being said, Leupolds are NOT the Rolexes of the industry. I would not go any lower than Leupold for sure.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:58:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:59:39 PM EDT
[#17]
thier top line is good

the chicom made line (like windriver) is so-so--not worth it imo
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:00:40 PM EDT
[#18]
They are my favorite scopes. (Out of all the ones I've used so far) Yes it is what I have on my rifle. Yes I recommend you buy one.

Clear view, well made, and many other reasons. I have 100% confidence in mine.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Scope prices generally match the quality as mentioned before.

Better Coatings = More light transmission = More $
Better manufacturing to tighter tolerances = More $
Better Customer Service = More $

For a $1k rifle, I would not skimp on the scope--Leupold is your best bet.

If I was scoping an AK (or a Dragunov type)--I would go with a much cheaper scope.

If I was scoping a $2k+ benchrest rifle or .50 BMG, I'd go with Nightforce or US Optics.

AFARR
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:02:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:03:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Just bought a Mark 4 M1.  $950

But my TRG 2 demanded it so there you are.  

There are better quality scopes out there.  But again you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:04:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I wont buy a variable power scope that isnt made by Leupold. I've used the new Redfields, Weavers, and even a Nikon, none would hold zero when you adjusted the power,Leupold's scopes do and if it doesnt they have excellent customer service.

Slightly off topic the older Redfields and the steel tube Weavers are excellent. I have a 3x9 variable Weaver with a steel tube that works perfect, im quite fond of my Weaver T model scopes as well.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:05:08 PM EDT
[#23]
So is NightForce overkill then?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:05:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Make sure if you get a Leupy, that the reticle is straight
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:06:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Yep, I have a Vari X-III on my 300 WSM and a fixed 4X on my old 243.  

Better coatings=Better light transmission
Better internals= Your zero will stay, well... zeroed

As aforementioned Leupolds are not the Rolex of the scope world, however, they are a reliable and effective tool for when your shots count.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:08:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a relatively new Super Sniper and it works great.  A comparable Leupold is $900 and up.  This was $299.00 for a 10x42.

Go here:

www.riflescopes.com/departments/231/rifle_scopes/super_sniper_rifle_scopes.htm

And check out the specs on it.  They do have a Navy contract for these and it shows the contract number and all that.  There are also reviews including some on a .50 cal.

I think this one is very telling:
www.riflescopes.com/ss_review_snipers_hide.asp

No, it is no longer a Tasco.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
So is NightForce overkill then?

Overkill for what?  

If your gear is mission critical, and must stand up to abuse, then no, it is not.  

I've taken the Pepsi challenge between my NXS and several other Leupold scopes (VXII, III, and Mark 4--all of various configurations), and, while they are good, are not as good as the Nightforce (clarity, eye relief, illumination, and repeatability all go to the NXS, in my experience).  

I don't like that the NXS rear objective rotates to change the magnification, and I wish the illumination were externally adjustable, but other than those quibbles, the NXS is the bees knees-and not too much more than an illuminated Mark 4--but a much better scope IMO.  

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:26:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I wont buy a variable power scope that isnt made by Leupold. I've used the new Redfields, Weavers, and even a Nikon, none would hold zero when you adjusted the power,Leupold's scopes do and if it doesnt they have excellent customer service.

Slightly off topic the older Redfields and the steel tube Weavers are excellent. I have a 3x9 variable Weaver with a steel tube that works perfect, im quite fond of my Weaver T model scopes as well.

I gotta call BS on this one
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:29:32 PM EDT
[#29]
A Leupold is the cheapest scope I would buy. Literally. They work well for what I ask them to do. As a general rule, one should spend as much on the scope as on the rifle, if not more. Tasco and BSA are SHIT. Absolute SHIT. Even my 10/22 wears a Leupold scope.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:29:57 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never had a problem with my nikons holding the zero.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:33:20 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I'm not trying to start a flame war here, I'm just trying to scope out my M1A and not blow a bunch of money in the process.

I'm just wondering though, why would say, a 4-12x40 scope be so much more expensive if it was made by Leupold, as opposed to Tasco or BSA?  What is it about Leupold that makes it worth the extra money?

If this is your first scope, I'd say you should get a scope that will set a standard by which you can compare future scope purchases. At this point, you do not want to be wondering whether a bad group was a result of the scope (oh... get a good scope mounting system too) or the gun. You should try to eliminate one variable. Leupolds are a bit higher price, but they also come highly recommended. Believe me, if you get a lousy scope, you really won't know what to blame for inconsistent groups.

Later, you can decide whether your rifle is good enough to merit a good scope. Perhaps much less expensive scopes suit your needs, but at the moment, you don't know this. In future, you can decide the level of precision you want and get the price or quality of scope that is appropriate. Generally, a very precise gun needs a very precise scope and vice versa.

But for now, Leupold is a good choice.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:36:52 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Never had a problem with my nikons holding the zero.

Dunno, maybe I had a lemon its certainly possible, in Nikons defense I sent it back and got a new one in return, I sold the new one without even opening the box so I cant say if it worked or not.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:38:46 PM EDT
[#33]
The leupold is worth the money. Some of my guns wear bushnell's etc, my hunting rifles are topped with either Leupold or Swarovski. You get what you pay for. Yeah its a huge price difference but to me its worth it when shots need to count.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:39:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Leupold has a lifetime warranty.  And it is transferrable if you sell it.  You can verify this on their website (I did), and it was the deciding factor on me getting a  Leupold.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:40:11 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I have Leupold scopes on all my rifles.  I can shoot one today and know that it won't change the next time I shoot it.  When I crank the elevation up two clicks, the bullett moves up two clicks.  Take your Tasco or BSA and move the windage and elevation up 4 inches right 4 inchs down 4 inches and left 4 inches and see where your bullet winds up.  With a Leupold you will be right back where you started.

Over the years I have wasted lots of money on cheep scopes.

This is exactly what I was going to say.  I bought one $60 Bushnell.  It was so frustating I've only bought Leupolds since.  I have only bought low end Leupolds and never been disapointed.  If I have the $ I'll move up to the more expensive Leupolds in the future.

Kent
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:42:11 PM EDT
[#36]
I went through the "oh, there's no difference between a cheap scope and an expensive one" as well.  Learn from all our experiences.  Get the nice name-brand ones.

Some to consider:

Zeiss Conquest - my favorite optic for the money.  You can pick them up on Ebay for around $400-$600  - incredible clarity and quality, and light as well.

Swarovski - perfect optics, pricey, and you can find the occasional deal.

Leupold is OK, and you can't go wrong with their warranty or customer service.

If you can find one (Ebay), the Fujitsu scopes are incredible - they are $500 scopes that you can usually find for under $200.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:48:03 PM EDT
[#37]
What you get with a good scope (I've got Burris scopes on my scoped rifles) is Better optics,better coatings, better internals,  And with the better internals you also get something not commonly found on cheap scopes...repeatabilty.. With  well made scopes like Luepold, Burris Nikon and others, you can change either the elevation or wingage a few clicks and then put them back, and you'll be back on zero.(I've actually done this with my scopes) try that with a cheap scope...move your elevation 5 clicks, and it might take 15 to get back to zero. Rifle scopes are one place where you get exactly what you pay for...You want a good scope? It's going to cost more than $29.95.... And "Made in China" is'nt exactly a sign of quality..I've seen quite a few people over the years, buy a really nice rifle that cost alot of money, and what do they do? Put a cheapo "Leapers" scope on it, and then wonder why they can't get it shoot.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:00:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Look through various brand scopes in low light...

The better ones will (literally shine)

You pay for crisp.

GM
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:36:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Yes, I have three of them.  They rock
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#40]
the most expenxive best rifle in the world will not hit anything with a shitty optic
and a poor rifle will still shoot to its full potential with a  good optic

yes leupolds are worth the money and hell the cheap ones are not that expensive  
or get a used one
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:51:51 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

+1million. I love them. The bang for the buck is very high.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:55:48 PM EDT
[#42]
I like them.  However, I seem to like my Nikon scopes better.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
A Leupold is the cheapest scope I would buy. Literally. They work well for what I ask them to do. As a general rule, one should spend as much on the scope as on the rifle, if not more. Tasco and BSA are SHIT. Absolute SHIT. Even my 10/22 wears a Leupold scope.

+1

They are my base scopes.  Cheaper stuff is just that.  

I have used them for over 20 years and just sent in one I purchsed in 84' that got banged up.  Had it back in my hand, fixed with no charge, in three weeks.  I did, however, send it to them overnight.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:37:20 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I can't agree any more with Combat_Jack. He is 100% right.

It is a crime to see guys with 1,000 to 4,000 or more rifles and see a BSA or tasco scope on top of the gun.

I am very happy with Leupold scopes. I have ten of them, and they are great for my needs.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:01:05 PM EDT
[#45]
You want to see snow?  Visit Alaska or Buffalo NY.  Don't do it by buying a cheap scope.

I cannot believe how much sharper my Leupolds are compared to similarily priced other models.  No the Weavers come close but still, I would rather have a Leupold if they were available at the price.  But targets are more forgiving.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:03:24 PM EDT
[#46]
I own 2.. I'll be buying another one for my future gun.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:07:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Yes, they are worth it.  I personally prefer Nikon scopes for my hunting rifles myself, but thats not to say that they are better than Leupold - they are not.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:23:50 PM EDT
[#48]
You might want to check out IOR Valdada line of scopes also.  I have had plenty of leupolds and there are alot better scopes out there for a bit more money.  I felt the IOR scope was much more clear and felt better all around.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:28:11 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
Yes, I have three of them.  They rock

+1 (except I only have 2 of them)

My third one I'll get in two months.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:05:58 PM EDT
[#50]
I have two Leupolds, a Vari-XIII in 6.5X20-40 and a Vari-XIII in 2.5X10-40, both are over 20 yrs. old.  I have fired countless thousands of rnds of all calibers ranging from .223 to 458Mag. I have NEVER had any kind of scope issue.

In my mind that says it all. I've also owned other scopes from Tasco, Weaver, Bushnell, and Redfield, all but the Tasco were also pretty good considering the price differencial compared to Leupold,  But when it came to unwaivering confidence in quality, maintaining of zero, and accuracy in the adjustments as well as the ability to compensate for range and windage, I know every time I turn the dial for what ever number of 'clicks' up or down or left or right that is exactly what I will get!!......I'll take a Leupold every time!!!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top