Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2006 3:10:44 PM EDT
I need to know if someone can calculate or estimate the flow of diesel fuel under the following conditions:

- Bottom of tank 1 is sitting 6 inches higher than the top of tank 2 (1 is above 2)
- Tank 1 is connected at it's bottom to the top of tank 2 with a 1/4" dia. line
- Total line length is 2 feet.
- Both tanks are freely vented and there are no obstructions to flow between them.
- Tank 1 is 60"l x 14"w x 20'h and is approximately half full

What is the approximate flow, in gallons per hour, from tank 1 to tank 2?

Thanks,

Merlin
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:23:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I have no idea, but wouldn't tank one have to remain at the half full level for the rate of flow to remain constant.

Oh, and free bump.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:25:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have no idea, but wouldn't tank one have to remain at the half full level for the rate of flow to remain constant.

Oh, and free bump.

By definition, the flow wouldn't be constant since the upper tank is draining the amount of pumping force is declining.  That's ok, I just need a "seat of the pants" general estimate by someone that knows Bernouli's constant and other hydro stuff.

Thanks

Merlin
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:16:05 PM EDT
[#3]
1/4" line, constant pressure (which obviously won't happen), somewhere between 7-10 gallons per hour, IMO.

Length of line doesn't matter, IMO, once flow starts.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:35:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
1/4" line, constant pressure (which obviously won't happen), somewhere between 7-10 gallons per hour, IMO.

Length of line doesn't matter, IMO, once flow starts.

That's about what I was thinking.  Thanks,

Merlin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top