Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 1:36:09 PM EDT
before I call a roof company i wanted to ask the gurus here.

My asphalt roof has developed a lot moss this year. My old house has cedar on it and I had a company come out every few years and pressure wash it. i was very satisfied with the results.

Now my new house has asphalt and because of all the rain this year has quite a bit of moss on it.

Can asphalt roofs be pressure washed?If no how do i get rid of the moss?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know the answer to your question, but a point of interest.

I once visited Washington state and saw moss on roofs for the first time.  I had to ask what it was and have it explained to me.

Here in Texas, nothing could grow on the super hot roofs we have in the summer.

Good luck to you on the clean-up.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:39:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm no guru but common sense tells me that if you pressure wash your roof you'll need a new roof soon.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:41:56 PM EDT
[#3]
just leave it alone, you will have a sweet roof when its fully covered
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:00:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Use one of the lower pressure nozzles. Yes, it works. A high pressure nozzle on a decent pump can eat concrete.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:48:09 PM EDT
[#5]
There any many companies in my area that clean the fungal growth from roofs. Most use a low pressure nozzle, and a zinc or phosphate chemical to retard the regrowth.
Any pressure washing of a roof (asphalt based) will reduce the life span. Newer shingles have chemicals imbeded in them to impead the fungus growth. Only if ordered with it. A simple bleach solution sprayed from a pump sprayer can kill the fungus.
Save some money go with the bleach once a year. untill you need a new roof.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:56:57 PM EDT
[#6]
My company sells pressure washers.(for 14 years)

While it would be possible to wash your roof in this manner, this is where a professional would be by far the best route.

When I say professional, I don't mean some jakeleg. You need a pro who has done it and does it a LOT.
Serious damage could be done to your roof in a very short time, if you try to attempt this yourself.

YMMV and this advice is worth what you paid for it.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:04:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I intend to use a pro. just curious is it could be done.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:06:10 PM EDT
[#8]
i think low pressure with bleach would be fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top