Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2006 12:18:16 PM EDT
In a previous thread, I was having troubloe with my system not recognizing all of the new memory that I installed during an upgrade. A couple helpful ARFcommers pointed out that service pack 2 will only recognize 3GB of RAM, and I confirmede this on a couple tech forums.

So I uninstalled SP2 hoping to be able to use all of the RAM that I put in.

OH FUCK!!

That did not make the computer happy at all. Now I have no internet connection on that pc and some of my software is working right.

I just can't win with this machine.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:20:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Shit I installed SP2 and my comoputer went to hell. Still ahven't uninstalled it and now I'm not sure I want to.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:25:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I experienced the same problem when I upgraded from XP service pack 1 to 2.  My computer had the speed and capacity far exceeding what was the minimum requirement for service pack 2, though performance was sluggish to the point I un-installed sp2.

Well, then of course the nightmare started.  That was three months ago, and I'm happy the ordeal that took away my internet for two stinking days is over.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:26:58 PM EDT
[#3]
When in doubt, format.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:27:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I experienced the same problem when I upgraded from XP service pack 1 to 2.  My computer had the speed and capacity far exceeding what was the minimum requirement for service pack 2, though performance was sluggish to the point I un-installed sp2.

Well, then of course the nightmare started.  That was three months ago, and I'm happy the ordeal that took away my internet for two stinking days is over.

How did you fix it?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:28:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
When in doubt, format.

I have used that solution before, quite a few times. But I don't really want to spend a day reinstalling everything on my pc.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:32:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow that sucks. Your best option is formatting and once it's all said and done you will be much happier. Just bite the bullet Gunslinger and get it over with.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:48:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Could SP2 cause a loss of memory (inability to open a large number of applications at the same time)?  On the computer, not my mind, it's already too far gone!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:52:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Backup your personal files and favorites.
Download any drivers you will need for the install.
format.
Install XP.
run windows update.
reboot.
Install zonealarm and all your other programs.
run Driveimage-7, make a ghost image of your C drive to make things easier in the future.
Fin
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:55:28 PM EDT
[#9]
so reinstall it.

sp2
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:58:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I installed SP 2 and my machine would not boot up. Had 2 days worth of hard work to get the machine back up and running again with numerous repair installs etc etc. Needless to say I'm not going to install SP2.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I installed SP 2 and my machine would not boot up. Had 2 days worth of hard work to get the machine back up and running again with numerous repair installs etc etc. Needless to say I'm not going to install SP2.

omg    i install SP2  on   at least 7  computers a day.  There are some steps you have to follow before installing a major service pack on a computer

SP2  came out for a reason.   install it
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:47:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

omg    i install SP2  on   at least 7  computers a day.  There are some steps you have to follow before installing a major service pack on a computer

...that few people ever bother to do.  Such as turning off or uninstalling their antivirus software BEFORE installing the SP.

But the biggest problem for SPs recently has been all the spyware that most computers are infected with.  If your computer is owned by spyware, then it's going to blow up a Service Pack install.

-Troy

someone else on this earth does know other than me        
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:19:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Uhm, no. Patch as needed; other than security updates, there is no reason to just apply patches for no reason other than 'they exist'.

SP2 is of the devil. SP1+relevant updates is the optimal home-user solution.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:19:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I install SP2 on machines at least 5x  day and have yet to see a problem. Frm what I understand is that having a sloppy system before the install is a contributor. Needed defragged big time, tons of malware installed etc. Many people just installed SP2 without looking first.

ETA - what Cruze said

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:21:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uhm, no. Patch as needed; other than security updates, there is no reason to just apply patches for no reason other than 'they exist'.

Evey system I work on that is heavily laden with malware are systems that are SP1. The Sp2 systems are much less infested. I can tell just by the amount of crap a kids system has if they are SP1 or not.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:22:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Yep, Defrag, Adaware, S&D spybot, Crapcleaner, install SP2 works like a charm.  And this is a 3 year old former Boeing PC, still works great!

Merlin
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

as far as im concerned the best reason TO install sp2  is exhanced wireless.   and sp2 automatically installs windows updates  BECAUSE NO ONE INSTALLS THEM  

nor do they update their antivirus. or spyware protection,  antitrojan protection,    they think once its installed it should do it all automatically.   unfortunately it isn't that simple.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:32:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Evey system I work on that is heavily laden with malware are systems that are SP1. The Sp2 systems are much less infested. I can tell just by the amount of crap a kids system has if they are SP1 or not.

I don't deny that SP2 panders to the lowest common denominator, but the inclusion of a bad firewall and popup blocker are not enough justification for a SP2 update for the average user.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#20]
The only problem I have with SP2 is that I did mine online, then when I tried to reinstall Windows XP when it was acting up, all I had was the Dell disks with Windows XP that came with the computer, and it would not let me reinstall it.  I later found the problem, but when a Service Pack comes out, I need to order it on a CD.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The only problem I have with SP2 is that I did mine online, then when I tried to reinstall Windows XP when it was acting up, all I had was the Dell disks with Windows XP that came with the computer, and it would not let me reinstall it.  I later found the problem, but when a Service Pack comes out, I need to order it on a CD.

You can just download the whole thing, if you want.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:32:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

...that few people ever bother to do.  Such as turning off or uninstalling their antivirus software BEFORE installing the SP.

But the biggest problem for SPs recently has been all the spyware that most computers are infected with.  If your computer is owned by spyware, then it's going to blow up a Service Pack install.

-Troy

someone else on this earth does know other than me        

+1

If you have a problem with SP2 installation it is generally of your own making.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:37:22 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your machine was probably fucked BEFORE you installed SP2, you just didn't know how lucky you were Windows was still boooting.  That's my best guess.

I have seen some seriously fucked up computers recently.. I don't know what people do, but I've seen some of the weirdest problems and spyware and virus shit I had no idea even existed.  Also, for some reason, some people like having a computer they use for work that is so fucking slow it makes me want to beat my head against a wall when trying to fix something.  At least once a day I ask in my head "how can they stand to even use this stupid thing?"
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:38:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

as far as im concerned the best reason TO install sp2  is exhanced wireless.   and sp2 automatically installs windows updates  BECAUSE NO ONE INSTALLS THEM  

nor do they update their antivirus. or spyware protection,  antitrojan protection,    they think once its installed it should do it all automatically.   unfortunately it isn't that simple.  

There's a lot of good reasons.  DEP for example.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top