Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2006 10:50:52 AM EDT
This one looks pretty nice.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:41:39 AM EDT
[#1]
It is a neat idea, but I think it would be rather delicate over time--as well as horribly expensive.
Companies that make specialty keyboards with regular plastic keys charge $200-$300, just for that. (this is for customized physical key layouts--not just "reprogramming" a standard keyboard)

And those OLED displays (or anything similar) would cost at least $4-$5 each, for a roughly 30 x 30-pixel display (I couldn't find ANY that small, the ones commonly available all are sized for cell-phone displays so this is an estimate). And it's got 100+ keys, 110 or so?
So I'd guess it could hit $700-$800, easily.
Even chopping that estimate in HALF, it's still a very expensive accessory.
~
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:01:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Well somewhere on their site it says they're aiming for a $200 price tag, but that does seem a little optimistic.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:04:16 PM EDT
[#3]
that is bad ass!  I'd buy one, for around $120 bucks seems reasonable. I dont know about $200 though
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:47:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to last year....

No set release date or price yet. But rumors are anywhere between $150 and $300...
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:53:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:57:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like a hi-tech version of a McDonalds/Burger King keyboard. They just need to manufacture one that displays little icons of soft drinks, french fries, burgers, etc. They could make a fortune.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:03:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#8]
WTF
spend $10 to $20 on a keyboard and get the same results. when mine goes tits up I don't have to impact the budget for the "cool" one. Its a friggen tool, you buy the best made for the lowest price, that gets the job done that you don't have to replace every two months.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
WTF
spend $10 to $20 on a keyboard and get the same results. when mine goes tits up I don't have to impact the budget for the "cool" one. Its a friggen tool, you buy the best made for the lowest price, that gets the job done that you don't have to replace every two months.

Exactly, its a tool. And ill pay for a good tool. I paid like $50 for my current KB, and I would do it again. I cant stand $10-$20 KB's. Feel like crap to me. And NO, you cant get the same results with a cheap ass KB that you can with the Optimus one. The Optimus is prgramable to fit your needs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top