Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 10:16:48 AM EDT
I have a GI style version given to me for Christmas by my dad. Ever had any severe problems with them?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:19:01 AM EDT
[#1]
no.

btw, in b4 sum1 mentions glock.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:20:12 AM EDT
[#2]
No, goes bang every time,

What problems are you expecting?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:20:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Their customer service is pretty good.  What's wrong?  Call them and get a return number for service.

G
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:21:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Out of the last few new guns I purchased Springfield is the only one that has been trouble free. I'm starting to think that new guns are really just kits that have been assembled for easier shipping. You may want to considor the Wilson Combat Bullet-proof Extractor. Otherwise it should be good to go.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:22:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Works beautifully for me. Only ever had one failure to feed correctly when I had the thing chocked full of CLP in sub-freezing conditions (something you're not suppposed to do).
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:22:14 AM EDT
[#6]
First time out, within the first 100 rounds or so, the rear sight came loose, slid right out of the dovetail and wouldn't seat back in it. I also broke off a the tip of the security key in that stupid lock. I was curious how it worked, without planning to ever use it. The tip lodged in the lock. I called Springfield and they repaired both problems free and quickly.

GL
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:23:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Do you have a full size or a compact?  I have a fullsize that has not had any problems that wasn't caused by a cheap piece of crap magazine.  I have heard that the compacts have troubles cycling hollow point ammo but cannot confirm this.  My fullsize cycles hollow points just fine.

Exchanging weapons for Christmas is fun.  I don't know what to get my parents anymore so I just arm them better.  Bought my dad an XD9.  Got my mom an XD40 a while ago to pay off a debt I owed her.  Gave my brother a crap load of mags for his Mini-14 since he didn't have any decent ones besides the stupid 5 round factory Ruger mag.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:38:29 AM EDT
[#8]
GI full size, purchased brand new. Won't go into battery most times (using ball ammo, for God's sake). Tried every mag known to man. Tried a stiffer spring. Shot 600 rounds thorugh it, in case it was "tight". Cleaned and lubed reguarly. Rounds just won't ramp into the chamber nicely. It's gotten worse, too. It's literaly almost every other round. Other satisfied customers notwithstanding, mine is a fucking piece of shit. I expect a brand new gun to go bang every time, without needing to whap the back of the slide. I've shot Lorcins that didn't fuck up this bad.

On a brighter note, I'm pretty damn good at failure drills - since it's not a drill.

Rather than dicking around with SA and mailing the gun off, I left it with a gunsmith. The sights on it SUUUUUUUUU-CK! I told him to install a set of Novaks, and do whatever he had to to get the damn thing to feed reliably. I'm confident that it'll be a fine weapon once the problems are fixed.

I gotta tell you though - leaving it with the smith while eyeballing a Glock behind the counter made for an interesting excersize in fiscal restraint.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:46:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Break it in correctly.  Remove the slide and clean the rails on the slide and the frame.  Lightly lube and reassemble.  Cycle the slide 200 times.  Remove the slide again, clean, and lube again.  You should be able to feel some more smoothness at this point.

I have over 1500 rds thru mine with zero hiccups.  SA also has a lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:53:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Break it in correctly.  Remove the slide and clean the rails on the slide and the frame.  Lightly lube and reassemble.  Cycle the slide 200 times.  Remove the slide again, clean, and lube again.  You should be able to feel some more smoothness at this point.

I have over 1500 rds thru mine with zero hiccups.  SA also has a lifetime warranty.

I'll let the smith do it while he's putting the new sights in. Honestly, I think having to do that on a brand new gun REALLY sucks. It's already got 600+ rounds through it and it's meticulously clean and lubed. As far as I'm concerned, it's been cycled enough.

I'm not bashing SA. Too many people have zero problems with theirs. Maybe mine was a Monday or a Friday gun. Who knows? All I know, is that after pulling a brand new pistol out of a box, disasembling it, cleaning and lubing it, it should work flawlessly. Anything else is unacceptable.

I could have SA warranty it, but I'm impatient and I'd just as soon have it fixed locally, since I'm changing the sights anyway.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:01:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll let the smith do it while he's putting the new sights in. Honestly, I think having to do that on a brand new gun REALLY sucks. It's already got 600+ rounds through it and it's meticulously clean and lubed. As far as I'm concerned, it's been cycled enough.

I'm not bashing SA. Too many people have zero problems with theirs. Maybe mine was a Monday or a Friday gun. Who knows? All I know, is that after pulling a brand new pistol out of a box, disasembling it, cleaning and lubing it, it should work flawlessly. Anything else is unacceptable.

I could have SA warranty it, but I'm impatient and I'd just as soon have it fixed locally, since I'm changing the sights anyway.

A friend of mine bought a SA milspec that was broken.  Sent it to SA and had it back fixed before the end of the week.  

Edit: He bought it from a private party and it was known broken when he bought it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:08:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A friend of mine bought a SA milspec that was broken.  Sent it to SA and had it back fixed before the end of the week.  

Edit: He bought it from a private party and it was known broken when he bought it.

Whoa! That's some great customer service, right there. Despite my problems, I will buy another. I realize that my situation is a unique one.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:21:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I hear ya about the impatient part....
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:21:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Some dude over at military-arms.com told me that the front portion of the slide will blow off after 5000 rounds.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:22:39 PM EDT
[#15]
http://www.military-arms.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5379#5379
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:27:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:19:09 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have a GI style version given to me for Christmas by my dad. Ever had any severe problems with them?

Absolutely! Mine seems to keep running out of ammo no matter what I freaking do!!!!!!!    
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:46:46 PM EDT
[#19]
the only gun that ever KBed on me was a sa 1911a1,after about 300 rounds. there custumer service was great . I do not shoot reloads or +ps ever so it was something wrong with the metal. one in a million?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:39:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought a used Mil-spec..for $375 OTD pistol was like new inside and out, I seriously doubt this gun had a box of shells ran through it. Shot 500rnds flawless, Changed a few parts for better ones, shot 300 more rnds, flawless, No malfunctions of any kind. Shoots very well. I might change the sights out down the road for better ones,  I have NO complaints, This thing has'nt so much as burped in 800rnds, it just works.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:47:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Never had a problem with mine

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely! Mine seems to keep running out of ammo no matter what I freaking do!!!!!!!    

I have the same problem with all of my guns.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:52:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Whoa! That's some great customer service, right there. Despite my problems, I will buy another. I realize that my situation is a unique one.

Not true, I had/have the exact same problem as you. It just seems to get jammed loading a round into the chamber every now and again. I have a sneaking suspicion that is one of the mags that is causing this (although im not sure), but I always forget wich one it was. Anyways, I love my GI but I just wanted to let ya know you werent the only one
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:54:53 PM EDT
[#24]
I've had some extraction problems with my SA 1911.  I took the extractor out and cleaned it and it helped a lot.  I still plan on replacing it with a Wilson extractor.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:55:23 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Some dude over at military-arms.com told me that the front portion of the slide will blow off after 5000 rounds.

He was probably confusing the slide with the barrel, since the barrel is actually two pieces that have been screwed/fused together. Why just the front portion of a forged-steel, Imbel-produced 1911 slide would just "blow off" due to normal use is beyond me.

But that barrel ain't gonna blow apart, either.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:55:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:27:46 PM EDT
[#27]
No problems with my Mil-Spec.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:35:54 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude don't know his ass from hole in the ground.  

I have seen 1 other  gun like that, it belonged to a swat cop here  apprently it was some heat treat problems . the problem was pretty small less than 100  stainless guns, according to springfield when he called about it
they put a new slide on it for him  

only other real problem i have ever seen was a WWII mil spec  that the recoil spring plug would not come out of the slide  weird it was jammed in there . Brand new gun right out of the box  . Springfield did warranty it

I have sold 100s and thats the only 2 big problems i have seen
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Quoted:
www.military-arms.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5379#5379

Hot links are your friend.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:46:45 AM EDT
[#30]
My son loves ours.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top