Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 9:37:20 AM EDT
My garage is a disaster area. It needs to be cleaned up but I'm having issues motivating myself to do it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:38:03 AM EDT
[#1]
have the wife say "no nookie till you clean the garage"

you'll clean it up in two days at most
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:38:36 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
My garage is a disaster area. It needs to be cleaned up but I'm having issues motivating myself to do it.

try being a man for once, and do some labor
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:39:03 AM EDT
[#3]
List your house for sale.  

<-----should be packing up and moving out all kinds of crap and laying new tile in the downstairs bathroom.  Off to do that now.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:39:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Personally, I hate dirty, unorganized work areas. Always have, always will. Nearly everything has a place and messes get cleaned up as soon as possible.

But that's just me.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:39:38 AM EDT
[#5]

Tell Jeb there's a bump of meth hidden somewhere on the floor.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:41:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Personally, I hate dirty, unorganized work areas. Always have, always will. Nearly everything has a place and messes get cleaned up as soon as possible.

But that's just me.

I'm usually that way. But after being gone for almost 4 months others did not keep up with it. I have a feeling some of the kids stuff is going to get tossed.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:42:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Promise yourself a new gun after the clean up is done.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:42:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:42:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Promise yourself a new gun after the clean up is done.

A Lorcin?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:43:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Divide your garage up into 12 sections.  For each section you complete, drink a beer.  Try to get the job finished as fast as possible.    

There's a plan!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:44:25 AM EDT
[#11]
The garage is like a man's "personal space". It is the one place in the house I know where everythng is. That alone motivates me to keep it clean.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:46:03 AM EDT
[#12]
when I clean the garage and re-organize I find things I forgot I bought for SHTF or as spares, kinda like an easter egg hunt as a kid. I have never found a gun that I forgot about......... yet.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:46:20 AM EDT
[#13]
When I had a garage, I was proud of it and liked to show it off. It was a cool place for the guys to hang out. That was reason enough. I lived out there.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:51:52 AM EDT
[#14]

The way I motivated myself was to think about:

What can I put there?

or

What I would like to have (and how much room do I need to make for it)?

In other words create an incentive for yourself directly involving the garage (vs giving yourself a beer).  If you decide to give yourself a gun (or ammo) then you can always talk yourself into getting a safe and putting that into the "new" garage space
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:52:55 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
When I had a garage, I was proud of it and liked to show it off. It was a cool place for the guys to hang out. That was reason enough. I lived out there.

+1.  I put in a nice tiled checkerboard floor, set up my reloading and other man stuff, put out my weights, cardio machines, etc.

It's mostly my space mostly becuase the wifey doesn't really want to spend time out there.

Get it into ship shape, then don't leave anything out after you're done with it.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:52:57 AM EDT
[#16]
I just let it go until the wife gets pissed off and cleans it up.  

Problem with that is then shit goes missing!  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:55:13 AM EDT
[#17]
If you clean out the garage, you might find something you lost years ago and can't live without.    

If you don't find any "good stuff", you'll hate me.    

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:55:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Get a six pack and a radio. Set aside a whole day to do it. Might as well make it enjoyable.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:56:12 AM EDT
[#19]
I always find some misplaced USGI mags or bullets when I clean the garage. Hmm... Maybe I'll head down there now.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:57:26 AM EDT
[#20]
2 1/2 car garage that was FILLED with shit.  Just bearly enough room to get to the washer and dryer.

How did I motivate myself to clean it?  Easy, I sold the house then I *HAD* to get rid of the shit.  

Taught me a valuable lesson.  Any space you have you WILL find crap to fill it up.  It's a guiding principal while I'm looking for a new place.  Get just what you need plus a *BIT* more.  I KNOW if I buy a 4 bedroom house just for me I'll be right back to where I was before.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:59:57 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

But that's just me.

Invite the above over and he'll do it for you.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:07:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Finding my pr0n collection

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:24:05 AM EDT
[#23]
You motivate yourself just like you motivate yourself for anything else.

You stop reacting to the task at hand on an emotional (read that... liberal) basis and you simply execute.

Having an outlined work breakdown structure helps, but if you're capable, you can do that on the fly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top