Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2006 7:22:59 AM EDT
Last week, the Walmart where my wife works at (she's in the accounting/cash office) was robbed.  Her office wasn't robbed, but one of the cashiers was robbed.  The assailant, without making a scene, pointed what seemed like a handgun from inside his hoodie/coat.  A few days later, someone in the parking lot got robbed as well.  This is a good neighborhood in Las Vegas.  What you may call the 'burbs with track homes and middle and upper middle class people.  Average home price in the $400,000's.  Just goes to show that not only shitty neighborhoods are prone to this kind of despicable activity.  Metro cleared out the store and interviewed witnesses but forgot to clear out my wife and her crew in the cash office!  I didn't hear of the incident in the local news but now we have several cashiers who are paranoid and Walmart associates parkng closer to the store now and using the buddy system to go to their cars after their shift.  When my wife called me on the phone to tell me what happened.  I got pissed. Not at her, but at the inadequate "courtesy patrol" that roams the parking lot.  Most of the time, instead of roaming around row by row as a deterrant.  They just park at an empty space far from the store and just chill.

I coached my wife on some basic "don't look like a potential victim" when walking in the parking lot.  Such as situational awareness- look around constantly especially as you pull your keys out to unlock the door and as you enter and exit the car.  Carry your purse on the inside of your jacket,  Have your pepper spray can close at hand on your keychain, and to seperate your keychain to only the car keys and the pepper spray so you don't fumble trying to find the key or the spray.  She passed this on to her co workers and told them where to buy the pepper spray.  What suprised me was that she added how to get a CCW and what kind of firearm would be good for a woman to carry.

Any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:29:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I call

There is no such thing as a good neighborhood in LV
sounds like your wife has a head on her shoulders.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top