Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 5:37:20 AM EDT
But, like the old saying goes, divorces are so expensive because they are worth it!

www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-01-18-marriagewealth_x.htm?csp=24

Study: Marriage builds wealth and divorce destroys it
WASHINGTON (AP) — Marrying for money, it turns out, works.
A study by an Ohio State University researcher shows that a person who marries — and stays married — accumulates nearly twice as much personal wealth as a person who is single or divorced.

And for those who divorce, it's a bit more expensive than giving up half of everything they own. They lose, on average, three-fourths of their personal net worth.

"Getting married for a few years and then getting divorced is clearly not the path to financial independence," said Jay Zagorsky, whose study divided married couples' assets so they could be compared with singles.

Zagorsky, a research scientist at OSU's Center for Human Resource Research, tracked the wealth and marital status of 9,055 people from 1985 to 2000. Those people have been participating in the National Longitudinal Survey of Youth, which has repeatedly interviewed them about various aspects of their lives since 1979.

The participants are now 41 to 49 years old, making them the youngest of the baby boomers.

Zagorsky cautioned that results could be different for older and younger Americans, who have faced different attitudes about marriage, divorce and living together without marriage.

Zagorsky's study, which is published in the current issue of the Journal of Sociology, defines wealth as the total value of a person's assets, such as real estate, stocks and bank accounts, minus liabilities, such as mortgages.

A big reason married people accumulate more wealth than others is simple economies of scale — one household is cheaper to maintain than two, Zagorsky said. Divorce reverses those benefits, he said.

"Divorce looks like one of the fastest ways to destroy your wealth," Zagorsky said.

David Popenoe, co-director of the National Marriage Project at Rutgers University, said people become more economically productive after they marry.

"They work harder, they advance further in their job, they save more money, and maybe invest more wisely," Popenoe said. "That's because, one can speculate, they are now working for something larger than themselves. They are working for a family."

Zagorsky showed that single people slowly accumulated wealth during the study, going from a median of $1,500 at the start to $10,900 in the 15th year.

Married people accumulated wealth much faster, accumulating 93% more than single or divorced people over the life of the study, Zagorsky said.

People who divorced started losing net worth four years before their divorces were final, Zagorsky said. That could be because they had separated before divorcing, forcing them to support two households, he said.

The study found that men fared better than women after divorce, holding about 2 1/2 times the wealth. However, in dollars, it added up to a difference of only $5,124.

"While men come out slightly ahead, divorce destroys wealth dramatically for both sexes," Zagorsky wrote in his study.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:47:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe that's why my gun collection disappeared when I got divorced.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:49:23 AM EDT
[#2]

Study: Marriage builds wealth and divorce destroys it
WASHINGTON (AP) — Marrying for money, it turns out, works.
A study by an Ohio State University researcher shows that a person who marries — and stays married — accumulates nearly twice as much personal wealth as a person who is single or divorced.

Sounds good for the woman, eh? What about the poor guy who has to pay for all this "personal wealth"?!!?!?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:56:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Ain't that the truth.  I was on my way, though I don't know, the ex would spend money like it grew on trees.  It was either go bankrupt as a couple or just become dirt as poor and live single.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:15:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Wow, what a startling revelation. I wonder how many taxpayer $ got tossed at that study.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:24:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Why is marriage like a tornado?

Because in the beginning there's a lot of sucking and blowing, but in the end you lose your house
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:29:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Typical stupid study. Good wage earners get married, financially troubled marriages fall apart.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:33:44 AM EDT
[#7]
If love is grand, then divorce is 10 grand.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:36:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Typical stupid study. Good wage earners get married, financially troubled marriages fall apart.

Hahaha, yes, being well off guarantees a sound stable marriage. Ask Elizabeth Taylor
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:46:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hahaha, yes, being well off guarantees a sound stable marriage. Ask Elizabeth Taylor

You should do studies like that too. Note the gap in logic between your statement and my statement.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:54:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Well, fucking DUH!!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:31:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a proposal for a Statistical Study on the most favored Sexual Position by Women.

Sample Size would be about 100.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:49:19 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Well, fucking DUH!!!

+1
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:02:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I think I gotta disagree.

Income since divorce in 1992?  UP 400%

Net worth? Probably increased 1000%  If it goes as planned, I'll triple it every 8 years for the next 24.  I might die alone, but I will be buried in style.  Unlike most married men, who will get cremated and buried in a cereal box.

Home ownership? Bitch demanded we sell our home, refused to take a buy out, judge sided with her. I currently own my own home with a lot of equity, bitch lives in a crappy apartment.

Toys? Gun collection has grown 1000% in value and size, three cars and all sorts of other stuff I could never own.

Retirements?  I got a better job, vested in a great retirement, 401K, third program as well.

Quality of life?  I do not regret for one second ending the hell of marriage.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:22:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well, fucking DUH!!!

+1

Gee married couples accumulate twice the income.  Maybe because there are fucking two of them able to bring in money instead of a single person.  Dipshits.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:28:34 PM EDT
[#15]
In related news water is wet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top