Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 5:26:32 AM EDT
I know it's not in vogue to display your firearms these days.  But there's bound to be a few old schoolers out there with nice gun cabinets.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:17:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 8 gun cabinet. bought it at Kmart for $89.
When I buy a house this year I will buy a real safe.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:20:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Yup..   The one my Dad built when he was in jr high school.......  Currently have a new one in the works..    It probably won't be done till the end of the year.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:22:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:23:01 AM EDT
[#4]
yes, the one my uncle made (he was a cabinet maker).  Nice and solid, no glass. I will keep it forever.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:24:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I have one that my FIL gave me. I might be giving to my BIL soon though.

I was at an amish auction a couple of years ago and they had a very nice hand made gun cabinet. It had interior, overhead lighting, and all the guns stacked on a rotating carousel that you could turn fromt he outside of the cabinet. It looked really nice and went for about $800. Not all that practical though IMO. That's just asking to get stuff stolen.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:39:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the old school rustic look & feel of the classic wooden gun cabinet and wall mounted gun rack.

I have a large safe as well, but still keep a few firearms in a wooden gun cabinet in my den.

I have a really old knotty pine gun cabinet out in my garage that I use for fishing rods / miscellaneous outdoor gear.

Will post a pic next time I have the digital camera out.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:44:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I know it's not in vogue to display your firearms these days...

FWIW, the playroom has been rearranged/redecorated since this, I just don't have a current pic... but I still have the cabinet and both wall racks in place.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:46:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I do, it is a custom made walnut 8 gun cabinet. My mom had it made for my dad in the 70's by an Amish cabinet maker when we lived in Lancaster County, PA. It is a beautiful piece of woodworking art, which my parents gave to me when I bought my new house, along with the Grandmother clock built for my mom by the same gentleman.

When they retired to western NC two years ago, they decided to downsize a bit....and I got some amazing pieces for it!

I keep my hunting guns and "nicer" stuff in it...my Sharps .45-70 Long Range, my Springfield Trapdoor Cavalry Carbine, my 1897 Winnie Trench gun clone....

All that wood looks good together....
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:47:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I know it's not in vogue to display your firearms these days.

It's LOUSY SECURITY.  

It's not about fashion.

Hell, in some states those would probably be ILLEGAL if you had kids in the house,
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:51:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Here is the one I built for my Dad when I was in High School.  It's in my house now since he's moving and didn't want to take it.

I keep the BLACK GUNS in the safe, but I threw them in for the pic.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:04:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I do, solely because I can't afford a safe right now
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:58:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I see them often enough in the local classifieds, but the security issue keeps me from getting one.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:38:14 AM EDT
[#13]
yes i have 2, but most guns are in the safe.

i leave the cowboy guns in them. it fits i also have gun racks.

Ronald
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:41:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I have an eight gun the wife got for me a couple of years ago for Christmas. I mostly keep it full with some of my surplus guns.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:44:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Here is the one I built for my Dad when I was in High School.  It's in my house now since he's moving and didn't want to take it.

I keep the BLACK GUNS in the safe, but I threw them in for the pic.

photos.ar15.com/WS_Content/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?sAccountUnq=2597&iGalleryUnq=924&iImageUnq=44575

Nice high school woodworking project, Dude!

I have a friend who is very old school who has a glass-fronted cabinet for some of his guns.  And he lives in center city Philadelphia.

I have an all steel cabinet, but I live out in the burbs.  Not much crime in the little town where I live.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:50:16 AM EDT
[#16]
I do and I keep my MP5s in it and I STILL can't get anyone to try and break in.

I swear NOTHING works.

I tried VCRs on the porch and even that didn't get anyone.

Next year I'm gonna take a crappy lawn mower engine and mount it on a generator chassis and leave it running in the front yard with 3 five gallon gas cans full of water next to it during hurricane season.

Maybe THAT will finally bait someone in.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:08:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I swear NOTHING works.

Next year I'm gonna take a crappy lawn mower engine and mount it on a generator chassis and leave it running in the front yard with 3 five gallon gas cans full of water next to it during hurricane season.

VCR? No wonder dude! Most gangbangers probably don't even know what a VCR is anymore these days. You need to put a DVD player out there.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:16:56 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Nice high school woodworking project, Dude!

Thanks.  I hated building this thing, but my Dad wanted me to.  I'm glad I have it now I suppose, but at the time all I wanted to do was skateboard!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I swear NOTHING works.

VCR? No wonder dude! Most gangbangers probably don't even know what a VCR is anymore these days. You need to put a DVD player out there.

I don't have a broken DVD player yet.

But a couple years back we did bolt a broken VCR to a table and leave it on the front porch.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:32:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Had a beautiful antique walnut 14 gun cabinet when we first got married,  I converted it into a china hutch for the wife.

Back in my poorer days as a young rookie I used to shop at the Salvation Army.   One day they had this HUGE 36 gun cabinet in knotty pine. Handmade, it stacked guns in two rows over a triple stack of nine pistol drawers.  Glass fronted, with glass lids on the drawers,  completely lined with pool table green felt, lighted, It was 12 feet tall.   They wanted 200$.

We had 9 foot ceilings in our apt..
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:19:18 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Had a beautiful antique walnut 14 gun cabinet when we first got married,  I converted it into a china hutch for the wife.

Coincidentally, I am in the middle of converting a huge entertainment center (that I no longer need because I got a big-screen TV) into a nice open rifle/accessory rack for my gun room...
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:31:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Jeff Cooper once said, "Gun display cases invite three kinds of people that you don't want messing with your guns."

Can you guess the three?

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:41:30 PM EDT
[#23]
I've got one I don't remember where I got. I keep a couple of .22's, an air rifle, and an old 20ga shotgun in it because there's no more room in the safe. The bolts are removed and kept in the safe.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:50:00 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Jeff Cooper once said, "Gun display cases invite three kinds of people that you don't want messing with your guns."

Can you guess the three?

croocks, robbers and thieves?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Can you guess the three?

1. Children

2.  Thieves

3. ........

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:58:16 PM EDT
[#26]
I had a built in gun cabinet in the house my x now owns. I kept the "cheap" guns in it, in the belief if someone broke into the house they would be thinking they got my gun collection.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:00:14 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a nice 8 gun one my dad bought me when I was 7 yo. As a kid I had it in my bedroom with my two .410 and 10/22 and by the time I was 12 it held my Ruger Single Six, 30-30 and .22-250.  

I still have it in a closet out at our hunting property in the camphouse, a beatup 10/22 and a couple of old muzzleloaders are sitting in it right now as we speak.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:14:21 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I had a built in gun cabinet in the house my x now owns. I kept the "cheap" guns in it, in the belief if someone broke into the house they would be thinking they got my gun collection.

Very similar to my outlook on the racks and cabinet in my playroom (pictured on page 1).  Less than 10% of my collection and some of the least expensive and/or sentimental pieces to boot.  Call it a "decoy."
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:18:29 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you guess the three?

1. Children

2.  Thieves

3. ........

Pretty good!

Children, thieves, and idiots.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top