Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/18/2006 5:25:53 AM EDT
Nice ending but apparently the car had passed through several owners ..I wonder what the owner who had to give the car up was thinking?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/18/old.car.theft.ap/index.html

CARSON, Calif. - The last time former New York City resident Alan Poster saw his dream car, he was young and it was blue. Nearly four decades later, he's a little grayer and the car has turned silver — but it was love at first sight again as the Corvette somebody swiped in New York was returned to him.

"It's a dream. Wow, this is a beautiful model," Poster said as customs officials unveiled the 1968 sports car. "This is definitely a miracle. Because in speaking to the police, the odds of them finding me were a million to one."

Poster said last week that he won't drive the car much — he has a Mercedes — but he is glad to have it back in his collection.

Poster was living in New York in January 1969, when the car he'd bought for $6,000 three months earlier was stolen from a parking garage. Poster had not insured it against theft because he could not afford to do so.

He went on with his life, eventually moving to Northern California.

In November, the Corvette was inside a shipping container at the Port of Long Beach, destined for a buyer in Sweden. A routine customs check showed that the car had been reported stolen on Jan. 22, 1969, but there was no address for the owner.

Nobody knows where the car was or through how many hands it passed. While it appeared in perfect condition, some things had changed. It was silver with a red interior, had a different engine and lacked a gas tank, and its transmission had been stolen from another car.

The car was seized, and New York police were notified. Two detectives spent days studying microfilmed files until they found the report. They tracked down Poster and notified him that his long-lost Corvette had been found.

"The odds against finding it so many years afterward were phenomenal," said Mike Fleming, a spokesman for the U.S. Department of     Homeland Security.

No arrests were made in connection with the theft of the car or the transmission.

The car's seller, a Long Beach collector, and the Swedish buyer are not suspected of wrongdoing, authorities said.

Poster, meanwhile, is overjoyed.

"This car was probably the last car I ever really (loved)," said Poster, 63. "It was the hottest thing around."

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:57:57 AM EDT
[#1]
gorgous car
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:08:22 AM EDT
[#2]
pics broke, sad story with a happy ending!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:43:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Does the Swede who paid good money for that car get reimbursed by anyone? Insurance?

NTM
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:44:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Now he has a parts car.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:10:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I saw the interview.  It was orginally blue so he is going to refinish it

and give it to his daughter!  Jb
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:13:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Cool, now he can put a truck bed in it!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#7]
So a collectable with no gas tank, tranny or back seat.  Perfect car for a teenage girl.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:26:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Absolutely amazing.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:49:05 AM EDT
[#9]
I heard about this on the radio today.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top