Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/17/2006 9:24:36 PM EDT
It's ilegal to talk on your cell phone while driving in CT unless it has a hands free divice.  They just made a big thing about how they gave out 2400 $100 tickets in the state since the law went into effect in Oct.  I was driving down Main St. today behind a black and white and the officer pulls out a cell phone and starts talking on it.  Should I drop a dime on him.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:26:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd do it, dont expect anything to happen.  I drop dimes on the local cops breaking laws pretty often
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:38:18 PM EDT
[#2]
cops will get away w anything, although some people have the hardest time driving while on the damn phone
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:24:44 PM EDT
[#3]
its five O
or 5.0

not 50

:)

but the laws are just for you and me/...  < not for the almighty JBTs>
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:35:30 PM EDT
[#4]
IBT cops, cop haters, and JBT apologists...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
its five O
or 5.0

not 50

I was expecting to see 50 cent onhis cell phone while driving when i clicked on this stupids ass cop hater thread, what a waste of bandwidht. its funny how you people hate cops till your getting your ass beat down and they are the first ones you call..... go ahead flame away!!!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:52:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I was expecting to see 50 cent onhis cell phone while driving when i clicked on this stupids ass cop hater thread, what a waste of bandwidht. its funny how you people hate cops till your getting your ass beat down and they are the first ones you call..... go ahead flame away!!!

I notice that every supposed "Cop Hater" thread is usually nothing more than being angry when law enforcement officers disobey the very laws they enforce against us.

I call the police if there's trouble - and expect them to help even if I'm disappointed in the few shitty ones who disregard the law as it pertains to themselves. Why do I do this? Because I expect people to do their jobs. It's not being hypocritical, it's being reasonable.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:01:52 PM EDT
[#7]
We are better than you. One day you will realize it and you can then quit getting your panties in a bunch.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:46:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
We are better than you.

Ya got me there.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:40:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I wouldn't really give a shit except they just made a big deal out of how many tickets they gave out.  I believe this law is a violation of our civil liberties.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:47:16 AM EDT
[#10]
CT statute specifically exempts LE and emergency services drivers from the mobile device restriction.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:48:40 AM EDT
[#11]
the laws dont apply to cops. just like they are allowed to speed because he 'needs' to cover more ground per shift, he can probrobly justify it by saying it was work related. Not much you can do about it really.

Here in maine we don't have a law like that, but I prefer to use my car's bluetooth handsfree system when driving anyway. I hate driving and holding a phone to my ear.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:49:19 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
its five O
or 5.0

not 50

Then you just have to wait another 30 minutes and they will come rescue you
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:50:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
CT statute specifically exempts LE and emergency services drivers from the mobile device restriction.

How convenient
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:51:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Yes. Finally a common sense law.

Everyone knows that schoolchildren in crosswalks are impervious to cop cars.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:52:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

...Except he's too damned busy explaining why he just T-boned someone while talking on the cell phone to come and render aid.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:53:24 AM EDT
[#16]
I guess they have more experience talking on the phone and driving.  Kinda like the BATF guy who shot himself in the leg with his Glock Fo-tay.

Like I said, I wouldn't care except they made such a big deal about all the tickets they gave out.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:53:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Every state that I am aware of has a standard waiver for Emergency Personel. The waiver permits such personnel to violate traffic laws in commission of their duty. Routine Patrol is in commission of their duty.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:59:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Get a LIFE, !
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:03:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:12:46 AM EDT
[#20]
This is true.  Can't catch violators without speeding ourselves.  Also cell phones have become a big part of doing our job.  Backup commo in areas where the radios system is bad, doing followup on cases,getting info firsthand without the the delay of going through dispatchers on in progress calls.

With a little thought, most can see how there is no real difference between a cop on the radio or a cell phone as long as it is work related (as in our policy).  It makes our responses more informed (therefore safer) and quicker.

For those who refuse to apply a little thought...get over it.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:14:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I notice that every supposed "Cop Hater" thread is usually nothing more than being angry when law enforcement officers disobey the very laws they enforce against us.

I call the police if there's trouble - and expect them to help even if I'm disappointed in the few shitty ones who disregard the law as it pertains to themselves. Why do I do this? Because I expect people to do their jobs. It's not being hypocritical, it's being reasonable.

Patiently waiting for the first person here who actually got a ticket for talking on his cell phone......
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:24:04 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
This is true.  Can't catch violators without speeding ourselves.  Also cell phones have become a big part of doing our job.  Backup commo in areas where the radios system is bad, doing followup on cases,getting info firsthand without the the delay of going through dispatchers on in progress calls.

With a little thought, most can see how there is no real difference between a cop on the radio or a cell phone as long as it is work related (as in our policy).  It makes our responses more informed (therefore safer) and quicker.

+1 If our guys refused to use their cell phones with all the shit we give them to deal with every day, people would have a Goddamn fit.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:28:49 AM EDT
[#23]
"Well, we have special training and we know how to drive under those kinds of conditions.  The nature of the job dictates..."
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:29:59 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...Except he's too damned busy explaining why he just T-boned someone while talking on the cell phone to come and render aid.

Wrong, he's too busy writing the other driver a citation for failing to yield to an emergency vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:35:03 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I am the the only person in this room qualified to use this nokia fo-tey.

Errosion of liberties is a slippery slope.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:35:56 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
IBT cops, cop haters, and JBT apologists...

JBTA is quicker than JBT apologist...
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:39:18 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

its funny how you people hate cops till your getting your ass beat down and they are the first ones you call..... go ahead flame away!!!

How many arfcom members have gotten beat down? And how many of those were saved by cops?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:42:48 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

its funny how you people hate cops till your getting your ass beat down and they are the first ones you call..... go ahead flame away!!!

How many arfcom members have gotten beat down? And how many of those were saved by cops?

How many have gotten a cell phone ticket, and how many of them were blonde rollerskaters?  

How many bashers are actually NAACP lawyers in drag?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:49:38 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I'd do it, dont expect anything to happen.  I drop dimes on the local cops breaking laws pretty often

Why is it I don't think you are kiddingabout this..

Sad....
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:51:51 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How many have gotten a cell phone ticket, and how many of them were blonde rollerskaters?  

How many JBTs on here have had 5 days of unpaid suspension?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:53:06 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sad....

He said if they are breaking laws...would you rather let law breakers get away with it?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:55:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Welcome to the country of the "subject" .

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:56:40 AM EDT
[#33]
This kind of police corruption runs rampant: cops talking on cell phones while driving, not using a turn signal while changing lanes, not putting a nickle in a parking meter. Geraldo ought to do an expose on this but he won't for fear of retaliation.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:00:47 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sad....

He said if they are breaking laws...would you rather let law breakers get away with it?

He'd rather the police be left alone.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:04:31 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sad....

If the police break the law fine call it in if it makes you feel better.

But after reading a lot of the posts on here it seems like more and more people want to be cops rather than ARE cops.  Come on, let the police do their jobs.  If you want his job then go apply.  Otherwise golive your life and stopworrying about others..

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:12:30 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sad....

But after reading a lot of the posts on here it seems like more and more people want to be cops rather than ARE cops.  Come on, let the police do their jobs.  If you want his job then go apply.  Otherwise golive your life and stopworrying about others..

Do their jobs?

how about they start by living by the same law we have to.
That would be too much to ask from those who are above the laws they are supposed to enforce.

some of them are no better than hoods with a badge.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:18:52 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How many JBTs on here have had 5 days of unpaid suspension?

How many NAACP lawyers in drag have been suspended for voicing an opinion?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:19:38 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

I need to keep a head in the sand pic just for posts like this...
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:22:17 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

So then there should be an exception for all work related phone calls , right????????
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:22:46 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
It's ilegal to talk on your cell phone while driving in CT unless it has a hands free divice.  They just made a big thing about how they gave out 2400 $100 tickets in the state since the law went into effect in Oct.  I was driving down Main St. today behind a black and white and the officer pulls out a cell phone and starts talking on it.  Should I drop a dime on him.

I just saw the same thing in Omaha about 2 hours ago but he was on the phone and hanging out in the left lane going about 45 in a 55.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:25:16 AM EDT
[#41]
You guys crack me up.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:29:33 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So then there should be an exception for all work related phone calls , right????????

When your work involves keeping the general public safe and responding to emergencies, then sure, talk while driving.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:49:42 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
This kind of police corruption runs rampant: cops talking on cell phones while driving, not using a turn signal while changing lanes, not putting a nickle in a parking meter. Geraldo ought to do an expose on this but he won't for fear of retaliation.

Just in case someones sarcasm meter's broken, I was kidding.

While there are certainly some bad cops, these are not abuses of power, civil rights violations, whatever. The other day I got radared at probably 37 in a 35. The cop didn't bother either me or the guy passing me. How about I not get upset about minor infractions from cops either? And I really don't care if he's on an official or personal call. Just don't weave too much. And consider hanging up before approaching a car during a traffic stop.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:21:39 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sad....

Do their jobs?

how about they start by living by the same law we have to.
That would be too much to ask from those who are above the laws they are supposed to enforce.

some of them are no better than hoods with a badge.

If a cop talking o his cell phone upsets you this much.. You have bigger things to worry about
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:23:24 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When your work involves keeping the general public safe and responding to emergencies, then sure, talk while driving.

Yeah because Im sure the ONLY time Cops use cells while driving is in the line of duty and official use
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:34:07 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sad....

Thats the problem, MIND YOUR OWN FUCKING BUSINESS.

But no, you seem to think that a LEO doing 90mph in 70mph traffic with no lights on, while using his radio, cell, and computer is SAFER than me asking a friend if he wants to go out to eat on my way home from work.

How is it that I am responsible enough to own a firearm and carry it, but I can't make a call on a cell why driving?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:13:18 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
"Well, we have special training and we know how to drive under those kinds of conditions.  The nature of the job dictates..."

As a pilot who talks on the radio while flying, in addition to setting instruments and looking at charts, I hereby claim that I have special training too which should exempt me from those tickets.

While I HATE assholes who can't drive and talk at the same time, I would never vote in favor of a ban law.

"It's the Indian, not the arrow"

For the record, I really don't give a rat's ass on fire when cops don't use turn signals, talk on the cell phone, etc.  They sure don't hassle me for failing to signal properly, I don't expect them to devote a ton of effort to "perfect" driving rather than being human.  If I was pulled over for using my cell phone, however, I might point out any minor chickenshit things HE did in the immediate time before pulling me over.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:17:16 PM EDT
[#48]
All of you citizens and civilians need to keep quiet!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:18:49 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah because Im sure the ONLY time Cops use cells while driving is in the line of duty and official use

Actually I agree with you, anti-cell phone rules are stupid.  People are going to do it anyway, and to be fair you would have to ban eating while driving, talking to other people etc.  I was making the above comment because the leap in logic comparing an office worker talking to his boss while driving and an EMT getting directions from dispatch on the phone isnt there.  Maybe I shouldn't have made my point like I did.  I don't think the govt should be telling people they can't talk while driving.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:28:29 PM EDT
[#50]
I don't have any problems driving while using my cell phone (hands-free kit), or the in-car radio. What really messes me is the center console mounted MDT with unlimited internet access. Can't count the number of cats I've flattened at work driving while surfing ARFCOM.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top