Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2006 7:57:00 PM EDT
Has anyone ever grown their own tobacco? Is it legal?  I was just looking a a website and they had seeds for sale and it said it was legal.  They were on Amazon.com. Just curious, kinda wanna give it a try for the hell of it but wanted your input.  (Not planning on selling just personal use if it worked)
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:04:29 PM EDT
[#1]
It is legal for personal use.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:07:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:50:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Easy and legal. I did some back in the late '90s as an experiment. Go to the ATF website and check it out. As I recall, you can grow up to 1/10th acre for personal use only. NO selling. 1/10th of an acre is a lot of tobacco for a family. I grew 5 measly plants in a 4' x 4' box, and got a little over a lb of tobacco. Gave it to my father in law as a gift; he loved it.

VERY easy to grow, but hard on the soil; you have to rotate it alot.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:19:05 AM EDT
[#4]
www.hirts.com/cgi-local/catalog.cgi?cat=&item=1820

Nicotiana tabaccum 'Scherazi'

From Iran, these plants produce captivating pink flowers as well as make a strong-flavored, premium-quality smoking tobacco. 4-5 feet tall. Annual. Plant in full sun or partial shade. (85 days) Approx.: 100 seeds per pack.

Price per Pack:

Price:    $ 2.49
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:19:17 AM EDT
[#5]
You can grow it but if it ever catches on fire everyone with 1,000 miles will eventually die!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:25:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:01:18 PM EDT
[#7]
well thanks for the info.  I'll have to do some more research.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top