Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2006 7:54:21 PM EDT
Its about the new world of private security contactors: Blackwater, Custer Battles, etc.

Its on in 5 mins on the West Coast on PBS. Already over on East Coast
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:09:07 PM EDT
[#1]
downloading the torrent know.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:58:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Lots of disgusting insurgent videos shown in the report.

Shooting unarmed and wounded contractors while chanting ALLAH ACKBAR

There's your RELIGION OF PEACE
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:00:20 PM EDT
[#3]
watch it online   HERE
be back in a bit gonna watch it
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:02:44 PM EDT
[#4]
The part where he asks for specific costs from KBR and gets stonewalled by their flack was pretty funny, "Sorry, we just dont keep track of data like that, don't bother asking or try to find out, because it's not possible."

So the reporter asks a Marine colonel the exact same question "Oh yeah, we have weekly meetings about this, all costs are scrupulously accounted for.  About $20 a plate is what it costs to feed a soldier here."
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:05:08 AM EDT
[#5]
More liberal military bashing commie propoganda. If its PBS, its not news, its junk journalism...
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:21:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I stayed up and watched it, it came on again here at 3 A.M.

It may have been 'liberal military bashing commie propaganda' but it did wonders for me. Showing the driver being kidnapped, the 4 contractors being killed, the pilot being murdered, etc. It just helped refuel my hatred for those people. Even though they were old stories you need to be reminded every once in a while so you don't forget.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:27:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I've seen some of that footage before. Was this on previously?

I must admit, there is something fishy with Haliburton/KBR and Cheney. Nevertheless, anything the gubmint is involved in will have waste, fraud, and abuse if you look closely.

I thought it was interesting how the producers were making a case against all the private security, and (by default) for increasing the military's role.

The KBR guy said they provide 10 battalions worth of man-power?!

No matter how you slice it, this war stuff costs a butt load of money. What we really need is more transparency and accoutability to where the $ is being spent.

Nevertheless, my feeling is that if there is a market for private security, and the market is willing to pay $1,000 a day for an experienced operator, and there is a supply... thats fine with me.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:31:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Damn, i missed it. Are they gonna show it again?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:27:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow! I never realized that civilian contractors are nothing more than blood thirsty marauders pillaging, burning and killing everything in the country while Dick Cheney rubber stamps the bills.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:34:54 AM EDT
[#10]
In this PBS show, Scott Helveston, one of the Blackwater contractors and ex-navy seal, who was killed and strung up in Fallujah, was on the reality competition show "Combat Missions".  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:46:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I must admit, there is something fishy with Haliburton/KBR and Cheney. Nevertheless, anything the gubmint is involved in will have waste, fraud, and abuse if you look closely.

I thought it was interesting how the producers were making a case against all the private security, and (by default) for increasing the military's role.

No matter how you slice it, this war stuff costs a butt load of money. What we really need is more transparency and accoutability to where the $ is being spent.

Nevertheless, my feeling is that if there is a market for private security, and the market is willing to pay $1,000 a day for an experienced operator, and there is a supply... thats fine with me.

200$ a day buys me, anymore would be paying for the yacht!

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:48:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
In this PBS show, Scott Helveston, one of the Blackwater contractors and ex-navy seal, who was killed and strung up in Fallujah, was on the reality competition show "Combat Missions".  

Yep. Ambush city.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:56:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Dac is right.  It's Bush's fault and Cheney made him do it.  

I can understand the evil mind of Cheney.  He is very wealthy with a bad heart.  If I were him, I would spend all of my waking hours trying to figure out how to make more money.

Dac, don't be a pinhead.  You need to read about contracts during the FDR administration's prosecution of WWII.  The government contracting procedure doesn't work well in this sort of war.  I don't care who takes care of the laundry for our troops.  I don't care what it costs.  I want those boys provided with the best services possible.

For shits and giggles, would you please list the companies other than KBR who are capable of doing their type of work immediately.  There is not time for someone to learn on the job.

Conspiracy pinheads....
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:56:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I saw it a couple months back. Major hatchet job.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 12:02:08 PM EDT
[#15]
"Though this is my fourth trip since the war began, this is the first time I felt it was unsafe to travel around freely." This statement was in the opening part of the show by the reporter and just about sums up that this is a biased hatchet job. I mean, seruiosly, if he was not a westerner, he would have feared travel around bagdad if he was not bathist.
Not supprised, but still disgusted with PBS. Especially since mine and your tax dollars helped create this propaganda.

Still, the contractors seem to do alright considering the situation. I especially despise the playing of the two parties against each other, military and contractors. Just sickening.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:13:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Dac is right.  It's Bush's fault and Cheney made him do it.  

I can understand the evil mind of Cheney.  He is very wealthy with a bad heart.  If I were him, I would spend all of my waking hours trying to figure out how to make more money.

Dac, don't be a pinhead.  You need to read about contracts during the FDR administration's prosecution of WWII.  The government contracting procedure doesn't work well in this sort of war.  I don't care who takes care of the laundry for our troops.  I don't care what it costs.  I want those boys provided with the best services possible.

For shits and giggles, would you please list the companies other than KBR who are capable of doing their type of work immediately.  There is not time for someone to learn on the job.

Conspiracy pinheads....

Hey - Work on your reading comprehension.

I clearly state that there is waste, fraud, and abuse in all cases when large government contracts are involved. It happened in WWI, WWII, and its happening now.

I'm not saying that it is Bush's fault, and I'm not arguing that we should not contract with KBR. If you think Cheney going from Sec Def, to President of Haliburton, to VP does not give, at the least, an apprearance of impropriety, than fine. In my opinion, its fine with me, and I would have done the same thing. We are all members of the same hypocrisy. Dick Cheney made the best decision in front of him when the time came. I'm one of his fans, and have been since his SecDef days.

Hey, Haliburton and KBR are huge. They have unique capabilities, and they are probably best suited for the job. But that doesn't mean you give them a blank check.

So Big Spender. If you don't care what things cost, then why don't you donate your entire income to the Federal government so they can spend it for you.

No reason to attack me and call me a pinhead.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

It may have been 'liberal military bashing commie propaganda' but it did wonders for me. Showing the driver being kidnapped, the 4 contractors being killed, the pilot being murdered, etc. It just helped refuel my hatred for those people. Even though they were old stories you need to be reminded every once in a while so you don't forget.

+1
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:21:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Watched it last night, very interesting
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:23:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

No, it was a new show

I think KBR doeas a great job, one that no one else can

I also think they're crooks

Remember, the reporter was there on the ground ans saw the contractor situation himself.

The problems he saw I think exist as well. But what is the answer? KP duty is incompatible with the modern military IMHO

30 battalions

+1

c'est la guerre

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:25:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

yep so wanted to see a Super Cobra come swooping in on those fucks dancing around the burning vehicles
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:12:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a buddy who works for Triple Canopy.  He was interviewed for the segment, extensively.  It turns out his team is quiet, well trained, expensive and professional.  All with years experience and plenty of quality time in the war zone.  The edited it all out.

An all volunteer army needs to be treated with a little respect and if they won't fly in beer and Playboy bunnies for this war, they need to find something decent to do for them. Flying a steak to Iraq because the local shitheads are to lazy or to fucking stupid to grow a cow or make bread where they don't use ball fungus for yeast is going to be expensive.

It was basically a slam piece.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:30:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Actually KBR hits the government for over $30 a head everytime you walk through the chow hall door, even if you just grab an apple and walk out.  Then KBR hires Indians and pakistanis to actually work in the chow hall under a subcontractor.  Nothing like having some Mexican food prepared by Indians!

I'm going to have to skip on this video series.  I pretty much hate any coverage I see from the media about Iraq.  I have 1.5 months remaining on my contract with Blackwater  in NOLA and just finished a contract in Iraq prior to that.  I think I am about ready to go home but I may end up back in Iraq.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:53:15 PM EDT
[#24]
That job seems pretty cool.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:12:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I thought this was creepy when I heard it, because I remember watching the show.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:11:47 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

yep so wanted to see a Super Cobra come swooping in on those fucks dancing around the burning vehicles

Man, I hear ya.... What I would have done to have had a belt fed MG or a Mk.19 when those RHTMF'rs where tromping around like cavemen in their glory.

Oh, and fuck that defensive only bullshit-contractors should be allowed to mount a .50 on the tops of their vehicles. Nothing breaks an ambush faster than a Ma Deuce. And someone needs to tell the Iraqis that a car left parked on the side of the highway will be destroyed. Why fuck around-light them up with a .50-anything any cars that have explosives inside will detonate. As for the other cars, OH WELL.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:16:09 AM EDT
[#27]
watched it, was entertaining.

most of their episodes are free to download.

-mark
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:19:52 AM EDT
[#28]
www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/warriors/art/vp3a.gif[\img]

Man I dunno how many millionsof times I sat at that same table waiting for a pizza...

ah the image didnt work...well there's a pic of a guy sitting at a picnic table in front of a subway, it's at Camp Victory, Baghdad...
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:03:31 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Yes, it originally aired June 21, 2005 on PBS.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:05:35 AM EDT
[#30]
A few facts thrown in with inaccurate ideas and conclusions and bingo!

You get that bunch of crap.

By the way, their "Brooking Institution" fellow is telling.

Anyone here know what the Brooking Instiution stands for???
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:14:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Taped it last night, just watched it.

Pretty good information.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:17:09 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Wow! I never realized that civilian contractors are nothing more than blood thirsty marauders pillaging, burning and killing everything in the country while Dick Cheney rubber stamps the bills.

Definite bias existed.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#33]
What bias that exists we just have to put up with...because there is no creditable right-leaning media. We all go in the armed forces instead of journalism school...
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:35:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Nice misinformations also!  You are always answerable to the Army and DoD there, you can be dropped and sent home at their whim.  We were under command of an Army staff oficer and you could be sent home packing if the fancy struck him.  Army could even drop yoru company from a contract if they disliked anything you did.  Not answerable, that is funny!  I've seen as many as 47 contractors get sent home in a weekend for minor violations like disrespect and alcohol incidents.  I have also seen some come home and be greeted at the airport by the FBI!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top