Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/17/2006 5:54:14 PM EDT
any arfcommers unaccounted for?
------------------------------------------------
www.mercurynews.com

Posted on Tue, Jan. 17, 2006
Man arrested on charges of stockpiling explosivesBy Kimra McPhersonMercury News

A Walnut Creek man is being held in Contra Costa County Jail after police said they seized numerous explosives and illegal firearms from his home.
Ivan Gutzalenko, 32, was arrested Friday after police, canine units and officers from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives discovered four explosive devices, three automatic assault rifles and other illegal firearms in his home, Walnut Creek Police Lt. Steve Skinner said.
He was arrested on charges of possessing a destructive device, possessing illegal assault weapons and possessing a machine gun, Skinner said. He is being held on $3 million bail.
The investigation into Gutzalenko began about a month ago, when a community member called the police department with concerns about Gutzalenko's weapons and the safety of the neighborhood, Skinner said.

On Friday, officers allegedly found the firearms in the home Gutzalenko shares with his wife, and dogs from the Bay Area Rapid Transit police sniffed out the explosives -- described as handheld devices with gunpowder and gunshot inside -- in the garage.
There is no sign Gutzalenko had any plans to use the weapons, and he does not appear to be aligned with any terrorist groups, Skinner said. He is ``into survivalist-type stuff,'' he said.

``It looks like he's been just stockpiling stuff for a while,'' Skinner said.
Marti McKee, a spokeswoman for the San Francisco Field Division of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, said weapons caches are discovered a few times a year in the Bay Area.

``There's lots of different reasons,'' she said. ``Sometimes it's a bad guy with a stash of guns, and sometimes it's a collector'' who got a hold of illegal weapons.
The Contra Costa County District Attorney's Office will get the case on Thursday and will decide whether to press charges against Gutzalenko, Skinner said. Federal charges are also possible in the case, he said.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:56:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Well somebody couldn't keep their mouth shut

ETA: knowing California it was probably a some fireworks and a full-auto Airsoft
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

three automatic assault rifles

$10 says these guns aren't illegal????
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:58:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Max
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:58:41 PM EDT
[#4]
What they going to doing a raid and then admit he had nothing illegal?  Right.

Got an AR-15 (legal)

Reload your own ammo? (legal)

Stockpile supplies for a emergency(legal)

Boomb you get raided by the ATF.  You legal AR is now an illegal machine gun, your reloading powder is explosives and your labeled a nut for stockpiling the necessities of life.

[dale gribble]trust no one[/dale gribble]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:58:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I bet its a few sks rifles and smoke grenades.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:59:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd say they are probably not even assault weapons . . . by the definition they give . . .
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#7]
IBTCB

in before the cop bashing. They were just doing their job.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:03:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
IBTCP

They should not have a job.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:08:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I caught some footage of the press conference late last night.  The confiscated guns were on display and they included an A2 style rifle, a couple of automatic pistols, a HK 91/93 style rifle, and what appeared to be a Sterling SMG.

ETA:

http://www.ktvu.com/news/6179848/detail.html

I was mistaken - it doesn't appear that he's got a Sterling.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:10:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Max

-1 It would seem he is in Cali.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:10:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
IBTCP

They should not have a job.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:12:35 PM EDT
[#12]
tag for the actual story
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:14:54 PM EDT
[#13]
it wasn't me!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:15:45 PM EDT
[#14]
They'll be full-auto after they're done rigging up the shoelace.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#15]
WTF! People who lived near him are all scared of him now just because he had a gun collection that many of us would consider tiny and almost politically correct.

And, come on, we've all tried our hand at little bombs before to set off in the middle of no where. Just because exploding stuff is fun.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
They'll be full-auto after they're done rigging up the shoelace.

Constructive intent.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:18:43 PM EDT
[#17]
5.56 and 7.62x39 are "high powered" now? Somebody really needs to explain to me the difference between those guns and anyother intermediate cartridge selfloading rifle...

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#18]
"Dangerous Collection"?

Sense when are the guns dangerous without a crazy/dumbass behind them?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:20:13 PM EDT
[#19]
3 million for bail?  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:22:00 PM EDT
[#20]

What is "gunshot inside"?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

What is "gunshot inside"?

- I was thinking steel shot like found in shotgun shells.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:28:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:28:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I think some of youz guys who dont live 40 miles from the belly of the beast (NYC) is that what is perfectly legal in one area can land you a FELONY in another! So maybe it was just standard semi-auto pre-ban stuff, that is illegal in Kali. My collection While legal here in Nueva york would get me locked up in Kali. this is what happens when you dont have uniform laws throughout the country. Hero today, criminal tomorrow............
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I think some of youz guys who dont live 40 miles from the belly of the beast (NYC) is that what is perfectly legal in one area can land you a FELONY in another! So maybe it was just standard semi-auto pre-ban stuff, that is illegal in Kali. My collection While legal here in Nueva york would get me locked up in Kali. this is what happens when you dont have uniform laws throughout the country. Hero today, criminal tomorrow............

but the laws shouldn't be anywhere in the first place...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Kalibania?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:52:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:59:13 PM EDT
[#27]
tag
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:04:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Man, you guys aren't gonna believe what happened to me!

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#29]
explosives -- described as handheld devices with gunpowder and gunshot inside -- in the garage.

Sounds to me like something the size of a handgrenade with possibly blackpowder and lead shot inside.  

My question is, why would this be illegal?  Assuming that it's not an actual handgrenade.

Not trying to ask stupid questions, but is there really a law against having something like this?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Blockbuster even tho we all love em are illegal . So whatever the hell he had was most likely illegal .
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:29:47 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
any arfcommers unaccounted for?
------------------------------------------------
www.mercurynews.com

Posted on Tue, Jan. 17, 2006
Man arrested on charges of stockpiling explosivesBy Kimra McPhersonMercury News

A Walnut Creek man is being held in Contra Costa County Jail after police said they seized numerous explosives and illegal firearms from his home.
Ivan Gutzalenko, 32, was arrested Friday after police, canine units and officers from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives discovered four explosive devices, three automatic assault rifles and other illegal firearms in his home, Walnut Creek Police Lt. Steve Skinner said.
He was arrested on charges of possessing a destructive device, possessing illegal assault weapons and possessing a machine gun, Skinner said. He is being held on $3 million bail.
The investigation into Gutzalenko began about a month ago, when a community member called the police department with concerns about Gutzalenko's weapons and the safety of the neighborhood, Skinner said.

On Friday, officers allegedly found the firearms in the home Gutzalenko shares with his wife, and dogs from the Bay Area Rapid Transit police sniffed out the explosives -- described as handheld devices with gunpowder and gunshot inside -- in the garage.
There is no sign Gutzalenko had any plans to use the weapons, and he does not appear to be aligned with any terrorist groups, Skinner said. He is ``into survivalist-type stuff,'' he said.

``It looks like he's been just stockpiling stuff for a while,'' Skinner said.
Marti McKee, a spokeswoman for the San Francisco Field Division of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, said weapons caches are discovered a few times a year in the Bay Area.

``There's lots of different reasons,'' she said. ``Sometimes it's a bad guy with a stash of guns, and sometimes it's a collector'' who got a hold of illegal weapons.
The Contra Costa County District Attorney's Office will get the case on Thursday and will decide whether to press charges against Gutzalenko, Skinner said. Federal charges are also possible in the case, he said.

In the Democratic Peoples Republic of Kalifornia if you are in possession of an Semi-Automatic Weapon that is either listed by Make and Model number on the Roberti-Roos Act or if it has a certain number of distinguishing characteristics entitling it to be defined as an Assault Weapon under Perata's SB-23 and that the said Semi-weapon has NOT been registered before (1989 for the Roberti-Roos Act) and (Jan.1, 2000 for SB-23) it is a FELONY under Kalifornia Law.

Notice I said Semi-Automatic Weapon which covers Semi-Automatic Handguns, Shotguns as well as Rifles.

We won't go into the Machine Gun Charges and Destructive Device Charges as we all know that they are regulated under the 1934 National Firearms Act.

Basically what is legal in Nevada is ILLEGAL in Kalistan.

Edited to Add, under Kali Law, an owner of an Assault Weapon can NOT register it, as the Required Registration Period has passed (No Exceptions).

Also under Kali Law, the State's Attorney General can arbitrarily add ANY Firearm to the Roberti-Roos Act which defines it as an Assault Weapon: Hence Illegal.

This is precisely what happened with the SKS sporter (an SKS that takes AK47 Magazines). Owners of the SKS sporter were NOT allowed to Register their rifles.

There is a Loophole, the State Supreme Court recently ruled that in order for a receiver to be added to the Roberti Roos Act it Must be explicity identified by Make and Model Number instead of a Generic Name or Description.

So if you have an AR15 Receiver that says something to the effect of say: Diane Feinstein Special Sporting Rifle. The Receiver would be perfectly legal to own and possess in Kalistan until it is explicitly added to the Roberti-Roos Act. Once Added and the Owner having Registered the Receiver during an Amnesty Period, the Owner will then be able to add a barrel and other features to it, and not have to worry about running afoul of SB23; since it would already be defined as a Registered Assault Weapon.

Kali's Assault Weapons Laws also allow a District Attorney to have a Resitered assault weapon confiscated if they deem it to be a public nuisance. Which is Kali's way of being able to selectively enforce the law.

Kalistan has no RKBA Amendment in its Constitution. And the Second Amendment to the Federal Bill of Rights is open to interpretation by Kali Lawmakers and Kali's Attorney General.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:42:17 AM EDT
[#32]
They probably took another dangerous Hi-Point Carbine off the streets.

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 6:59:26 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

ETA: knowing California it was probably a some fireworks and a full-auto Airsoft

FUNNY
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:16:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Well I'd just like to parsonally thank the BATF and California State Police for getting another dangerous criminal off the streets. To think that he fooled everyone by being "a really nice neighbor" and working as a nurse in the ER. I hope they throw away the key.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:22:02 AM EDT
[#35]
What the crap... Sounds like he had a nice little collection there. I wonder if they were truly full-auto or just semi auto reported by idiots.

Oh well. It is Californistan we're talking about.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:24:21 AM EDT
[#36]

The assault weapons charge is a state law the rest is all Fed. I guess in a free state you can possesse an unregistered  machinegun and make grenades in your garage. Dont forget to show them to all the neighbors like this jackass did. There shouldnt be any problems with that this stuff only happens in CA.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:37:07 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Or a flashlight
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:45:14 AM EDT
[#38]
I count 3 AR's, 2AK's, 2 SKS's,  what I thought was a Tec-9, a Benelli shotgun, a pump shotgun with a pistol grip stock, a pump shotgun with a regular stock and a mag extension, a camo long gun that looks like a long barrel shotgun for shooting ducks, 2 or 3 semi-auto handguns, 2 revolvers (one looks like and H&R), 1 HK-91 (at least the closeup of the magazines showed HK-91 mags) and one rifle that may be a 10-22 or a magazine fed Marlin .22, or maybe something else.

The audio described the bomb as "gunpowder and buckshot wrapped in duct tape", for what it's worth.

I doubt if many police forces in the country are worried or envious about that collection.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:06:17 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I prefer local control.  That way weenie asshat big city crybabies won't be making the rules for those of us who have chosen to live far away from festering urban boils.

Unless by "uniform" you mean "less".

Otherwise, if you like the uniform thing, why not get the whole enchilada and institute the U.N. weapons sanctions and that handy One World Government?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:20:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Well, there goes another ruined life, and there goes another couple million dollars of taxpayers money.

You Kalifornia people are in denial.  Enjoy your gift of freedom every remaining day that you are at large.

The law, and the general public consider you to be as dangerous and undesireable as a common criminal.

Anybody who is not very disturbed by these cases has got their head in the sand.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:22:31 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I count 3 AR's, 2AK's, 2 SKS's,  what I thought was a Tec-9, a Benelli shotgun, a pump shotgun with a pistol grip stock, a pump shotgun with a regular stock and a mag extension, a camo long gun that looks like a long barrel shotgun for shooting ducks, 2 or 3 semi-auto handguns, 2 revolvers (one looks like and H&R), 1 HK-91 (at least the closeup of the magazines showed HK-91 mags) and one rifle that may be a 10-22 or a magazine fed Marlin .22, or maybe something else.

Amature..
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Ya' know, Leelaw lives in Walnut Creek.... anyone heard from him today?

I saw the coverage on the news yesterday. He had a pretty nice (but small) collection. They said that three of the weapons had been "illegally converted into machine guns". The bust just could be legit. Who knows?

edited for spelling
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:03:04 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
explosives -- described as handheld devices with gunpowder and gunshot inside -- in the garage.

Sounds to me like something the size of a handgrenade with possibly blackpowder and lead shot inside.  

My question is, why would this be illegal?  Assuming that it's not an actual handgrenade.

Not trying to ask stupid questions, but is there really a law against having something like this?

Sounds like a pipe bomb to me....I wonder if his frugals screen name was CrazyIvan?

I wonder who he sides with in the Chechnyia war?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:04:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Did you guys listen to that stupid cop on the news channel video?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:08:16 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Did you guys listen to that stupid cop on the news channel video?

shhhhhhhh, stop cop bashing, the moderators are watching
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:08:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Gun owner=terrorist?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:30:16 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

If they're assembled, yes. "Explosive devices" are considered "AOW", IIRC? Any Other Weapon? NO doubt someone who knows more than I will chime in.

Short answer is, don't build your own flash bangs!    
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:33:33 PM EDT
[#48]
explosive devices are destructive devices under the law
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:51:41 PM EDT
[#49]
the really scary thing is that the reporter sounded genuinely concerned about it.

I think if i sent him video of my collection he would drop dead.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:08:49 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like a pipe bomb to me....I wonder if his frugals screen name was CrazyIvan?

I wonder who he sides with in the Chechnyia war?

Damn man...probably not too far off the mark.
I post in our SF alot, but I stay away from Nutty Squirrels.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top