Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2006 5:51:15 PM EDT
Man it's rough.
I constatly think of additions, trickin' out others, splurging on high lines or customs guns...
Wallet, bank account, & credit card beginning to hemorrage.....
Oh the humanity!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:54:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Thread.. Worthless.. Pics..

You should know the drill by now.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:54:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Might I suggest the arfcom 1911 forum???????    
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:55:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Man it's rough

Tell me about it, brother.  I posted my experience yesterday in the 1911 forum.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:57:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Man it's rough.
I constatly think of additions, trickin' out others, splurging on high lines or customs guns...
Wallet, bank account, & credit card beginning to hemorrage.....
Oh the humanity!

Don't forget refinishing in nice OD green (just in case you hadn't considered that option yet):

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:58:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I feel your pain friend...

I loved them so much at one time that even after owning at least a half dozen at any one time I decided to build one.  

So... armed with Jerry Kuhnhausen's book, a vice, a couple files, a honing stone, and a lot of elbow grease I built a perfect 5" standard 1911.

Took 2 weeks to build, but it would shoot hardball with the best of them!  I didn't dare try to ramp and throat it though, so it wouldn't feed anything else for shit.

It was one of auto-ordinance's old kits they used to sell.  But it got all Wilson springs and a new Wilson magazine!

Do a build.  You will love it!  Just take your time and it wouldn't hurt to have a pistolsmith check it over when you think you're done!

This was my favorite 1911.  My second fave?  A colt blue officer's ACP with walnut grips... oooh that gun was nice!  Shot as good as my full sized 1911's too!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:01:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I have come to this thread to represent GLOCK . Glock is the only known cure for your illness. OK ...flame suit on ..and wait for it ...wait for it ....go
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have come to this thread to represent GLOCK . Glock is the only known cure for your illness. OK ...flame suit on ..and wait for it ...wait for it ....go

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:04:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I love Glocks too, but 1911's are more fun for "gunny" types, cause they just beg to be tinkered with.  A Glock is too proprietary and overdesigned to invite casual tinkering.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:11:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Glock, when you absolutely, positively, can't do shit to a gun.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:46:51 PM EDT
[#10]
You ain't got shit on me... My # came up for two custom smith's this month. I had to repair two of my 15K+ pistols, and I bought another base pistol and sent it off this money for work. I wrote $5300 in checks to 'smiths today and $111.12 to UPS for shipping.

Oh, yea... I already own two Larry Vickers pistols that I had built Not to mention a Yanek, Heinie, 2 Chuck Rogers, a Swenson, 3 Garthwaite's, 2 Novak's... I have two Kimber's too.

He isn't taking orders anymore... I had mine done in '97 or '98 when few knew who he was. I waited 2mo for two pistols to get back to me, this is when he was still active duty.
The work was inexpensive back then too.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You would be suprised what you can do to a Glock... Grip reduction or reshape, trigger job, sights... They are nice beater pistols. I have a G17 that has had it's grip worked to be more 1911 shooter friendly. Hey, it's nice to have a pistol with a 3.5lb trigger,  17+2 mag capacity and one in the chamber pumped up with Ranger 127gr +p+, I don't wana get shot with it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#12]
from the sound of it all of you are WAY out of my class. i'm still trying to get an ed brown this year, ok, maybe two. i figure that if you just buy one gun it could miss all of its brothers & sisters so i believe in buying in pairs.

be well
maxwell
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:53:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You ain't got shit on me... My # came up for two custom smith's this month. I had to repair two of my 15K+ pistols, and I bought another base pistol and sent it off this money for work. I wrote $5300 in checks to 'smiths today and $111.12 to UPS for shipping.

Oh, yea... I already own two Larry Vickers pistols that I had built Not to mention a Yanek, Heinie, 2 Chuck Rogers, a Swenson, 3 Garthwaite's, 2 Novak's... I have two Kimber's too.

I have to know....how long was the wait for the Vickers'?  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You would be suprised what you can do to a Glock... Grip reduction or reshape, trigger job, sights... They are nice beater pistols.

Yeah I was probably unfair in my comparison when I said Glocks were too proprietary and overdesigned to allow tinkering.  I have been reading up a bit and I see there are quite a few aftermarket parts sellers out there for them.

BUT... they are still not a 1911.  Totally different animal.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:57:55 PM EDT
[#15]

you aint the only one....just 21 last october, getting my 5th 1911 this week (i hope)

damn you EE.....!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:00:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a Llama and a Firestorm.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You would be suprised what you can do to a Glock... Grip reduction or reshape, trigger job, sights... They are nice beater pistols. I have a G17 that has had it's grip worked to be more 1911 shooter friendly. Hey, it's nice to have a pistol with a 3.5lb trigger,  17+2 mag capacity and one in the chamber pumped up with Ranger 127gr +p+, I don't wana get shot with it.

AH, I know, just pickin back a bit. And I only need 7+1 because mine are more accurate.
I've shot Glocks before and they are fine. I just hate the SPROING and the fact that they just feel "off" as far as holding one. I couldn't even tell you why.
I have a friend who is a Glock armorer and he still swears the G-17 was the best Glock ever made.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:07:09 PM EDT
[#18]
My first experience with Glocks was at the height of my 1911 mania where I was shooting hundreds of rounds per week, and I hate to say it but I shot that Glock better right out of the gate than I did with most of my 1911's after months of practice.

I have small hands and it fit me very well.  I think they are much easier for a beginner to shoot well if my experience was any indication.

Of course, I guess I wasn't a "beginner" the first time I shot one, so I should just STFU...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:09:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Don't forget refinishing in nice OD green (just in case you hadn't considered that option yet):

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=43057

Nice.
Who did the refinishing?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:10:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have to know....how long was the wait for the Vickers'?  

Mine both got done in '97 or '98 I think it took about 6-8 weeks and I got both back. This is when few knew who he was. They are full house and the work was very inexpensive back then. He was still active duty at the time.
His pistols are nice, but not great, they work and the trigger is good, the barrel fit is a bit weak IMHO.

You want a no shit, well built, nice pistol... Look to Garthwaite or Chuck Rogers. I've got 1911s from guys who work in like Armpit, AR or some place nobody has heard of that are as good if not better than many of the top notch "I get cool pictures taken" guys.

In fact, my carry 1911 is built by a guy who used to build them for the AF pistol team, he built it for me as a favor... It shoots on hole 10rd groups @ 25yds out of a Ransom Rest and hasn't had one pistol malfunction in 7k rds... I shot an entire 2k rd class w/o cleaning it, just oil. Never coughed.

1911 smiths are like watch builders. Some are expensive and work for shit, some are inexpensive and work great.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I thought Glock just make curtain rods. When did they start making pistols?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:12:28 PM EDT
[#22]
I recoverd from the illness after several years.

Recently I came down wiith Glockitis
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:14:43 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I recoverd from the illness after several years.

Recently I came down wiith Glockitis

I bet you drink wine that comes in a bottle with a screw top or beer that comes in a 40oz (holla !)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top