Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2006 3:15:28 PM EDT
How difficult is it to change the rear tranny seal of a four cylinder automatic? My girlfriend's grandfather is looking at one, but the rear seal needs replacing and goes through about a quart every four days. Can it be done at home or is it a job to take to a mechanic?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:22:54 PM EDT
[#1]
The rear main is nothing to scoff at. If you feel confident in pulling the trans, then I say go for it. If not it might be a jobn for a mechanic. Even if you don't have to pull the trans all the way out, it might be a kick in the nuts to do it for the first time.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:26:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The rear main is nothing to scoff at. If you feel confident in pulling the trans, then I say go for it. If not it might be a jobn for a mechanic. Even if you don't have to pull the trans all the way out, it might be a kick in the nuts to do it for the first time.

You DID see that I was referring to the TRANSMISSION, right?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:29:31 PM EDT
[#3]
If all you have to replace is the seal in the tail housing of the tranny it should be a piece of cake. Since its a RWD car all youd have to do is drop the drive shaft from the rear axle, pull it out of the tranny, use a seal puller ( $10.00 ) to pop out the old seal, install the new seal carefully, reinstall the drive shaft and top off with tranny fluid ( Dextron III  I think for that year of ford ) and your done... Someone familiar with cars should have no problem doing it in under an hour, maybe less. If it where my car and I had the seal, it wouldliteraly take me 25 minutes tops. Should only be 4 bolts/nuts holding the driveshaft to the axle yoke. The driveshaft pulls straight out of the tranny. Even though its a 4 cyl engine, alot of them used the same automatic the 6 and 8 cyl used.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:30:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You DID see that I was referring to the TRANSMISSION, right?

Oh, sorry. I am so used to reading about the read mains leaking on the 2.3s that I jumped to conclusions. I would not hesitate to give that a go.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:32:50 PM EDT
[#5]
You can pry it off with a screwdriver.  No seal puller needed.  

You won't lose all the tranny fluid either but don't get that crap on you cause it sucks.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:39:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

You won't lose all the tranny fluid either but don't get that crap on you cause it sucks.

Seal puller is not needed but recommended. Ive seen too many guys break or gouge the aluminum tail housings to the point they leak even with a new seal in my 13 years in auto parts sales/ wrenching to not use one...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:54:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

+1. Tr fluid baths suck, took one a long time ago when I changed the transmission on a '73 Mustang, back when I had more energy and muscle than brains and patience. Use a pan or something (maybe lay some big pieces of cardboard down) to catch the inevitable spill since getting tr fluid off of pavement, you, your clothes, and your hair sucks.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Gunner... where in NY are you? If you're in WNY, you can borrow my seal puller.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top