Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2006 11:21:30 AM EDT
Killing Made Easy

Monday, January 16, 2006; Page A16

WITH PITIFULLY little notice paid, another rash of year-end homicide statistics points up the madness of this country's fascination with handguns. The domestic arms race continues full tilt. More kids are taking handguns to school in Maryland and Virginia, according to a report by The Post's Daniel de Vise, and one big, sorry reason is that more than a few of them are responding to a perceived threat of violence in their midst. Murders by handguns continue to rock Prince George's County and the District with a vengeance.

Three Maryland jurisdictions -- Baltimore City, Baltimore County and Prince George's -- accounted for more than half of all school weapons incidents (the statistics include knives) in the state. Prince George's tallied 533 weapon suspensions in 2004-05, up 74 percent from 306 in 1999-2000. But the prevalence of weapons in the schools is only one reflection of the regional scene and that of the nation as a whole. Police in most jurisdictions report that the majority of killings occur after two men argue and one or both pull out guns.

There's an obvious thread here that members of Congress choose not to see: The all-too-free flow of handguns, a warped way of life that cows presidents and members of Congress who ought to recognize that the availability of handguns is murderous. The problem is that Americans own 65 million handguns and the only effective safety measure would be a ban on these made-for-murder weapons. As writer Jenny Price noted in a Dec. 25 op-ed in The Post, only 160 of the 12,000 guns used to kill people every year are employed in legitimate self-defense; guns in the home are used seven times more often for homicide than for self-defense.

Lawmakers know all this and know as well that handguns -- however exalted they seem to be in America -- should not be in general circulation. Political long shot that it may be, a national ban on the general manufacture, sale and ownership of handguns ought be enacted. It would not pacify kids or adults with violent tendencies, and it might not curb general criminal activity markedly. But it might well save thousands of lives. Handgun exceptions could be made for federal, state and local law enforcement and military agencies; collectors of antique firearms; federally licensed handgun sporting clubs with certain safety procedures; security guard services; and licensed dealers, importers or manufacturers that are determined to be meeting those needs.

Such a bill was proposed more than a decade ago by Sen. John Chafee (R-R.I.), who has since died. "I hear people say it's a radical proposal," he said then. "Well, I think to have the current situation is radical. No other country has anything like it." He described slaughter by handguns as killing in record numbers, threatening education and pushing the high costs of education even higher. So what's new today?

-------------------------------
For those lazy folks who dont wanna click...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:22:33 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Click what?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Lead first.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:26:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

More kids are taking handguns to school in Maryland and Virginia, according to a report by The Post's Daniel de Vise, and one big, sorry reason is that more than a few of them are responding to a perceived threat of violence in their midst.

Hmm.  Seems to me that the real problem is children taking guns to school.  Ban children, do it for the children.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:28:25 AM EDT
[#4]
If the whole reason is to save a few thousand lives, why not go after banning all cars, tucks, and motorcycles.  The only modes of transportation could be by bus, train, bicycle, or walk.  That would save tens of thousands of lives per year.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:30:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If the whole reason is to save a few thousand lives, why not go after banning all cars, tucks, and motorcycles.  The only modes of transportation could be by bus, train, bicycle, or walk.  That would save tens of thousands of lives per year.

Thats there plan
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:32:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Killing Made Easy

WITH PITIFULLY little notice paid, another rash of year-end homicide statistics points up the madness of this country's fascination with handguns. The domestic arms race continues full tilt. More kids are taking handguns to school in Maryland and Virginia, according to a report by The Post's Daniel de Vise, and one big, sorry reason is that more than a few of them are responding to a perceived threat of violence in their midst. Murders by handguns continue to rock Prince George's County and the District with a vengeance.

Three Maryland jurisdictions -- Baltimore City, Baltimore County and Prince George's -- accounted for more than half of all school weapons incidents (the statistics include knives) in the state. Prince George's tallied 533 weapon suspensions in 2004-05, up 74 percent from 306 in 1999-2000. But the prevalence of weapons in the schools is only one reflection of the regional scene and that of the nation as a whole. Police in most jurisdictions report that the majority of killings occur after two men argue and one or both pull out guns.

There's an obvious thread here that members of Congress choose not to see: The all-too-free flow of handguns, a warped way of life that cows presidents and members of Congress who ought to recognize that the availability of handguns is murderous. The problem is that Americans own 65 million handguns and the only effective safety measure would be a ban on these made-for-murder weapons. As writer Jenny Price noted in a Dec. 25 op-ed in The Post, only 160 of the 12,000 guns used to kill people every year are employed in legitimate self-defense; guns in the home are used seven times more often for homicide than for self-defense.

Lawmakers know all this and know as well that handguns -- however exalted they seem to be in America -- should not be in general circulation. Political long shot that it may be, a national ban on the general manufacture, sale and ownership of handguns ought be enacted. It would not pacify kids or adults with violent tendencies, and it might not curb general criminal activity markedly. But it might well save thousands of lives. Handgun exceptions could be made for federal, state and local law enforcement and military agencies; collectors of antique firearms; federally licensed handgun sporting clubs with certain safety procedures; security guard services; and licensed dealers, importers or manufacturers that are determined to be meeting those needs.

Such a bill was proposed more than a decade ago by Sen. John Chafee (R-R.I.), who has since died. "I hear people say it's a radical proposal," he said then. "Well, I think to have the current situation is radical. No other country has anything like it." He described slaughter by handguns as killing in record numbers, threatening education and pushing the high costs of education even higher. So what's new today?

I love how they say Weapons violations I wonder how many of those are actually firearms.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:32:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Gun deaths are the price of freedom.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:33:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Why not just pass a law against crimes like murder?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:34:28 AM EDT
[#9]
So when criminals are still able to easily get handguns to commit crimes what happens to the rest of us exactly?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:44:35 AM EDT
[#10]
seems the statistics are inflated as usual...remember, they are counting the kids (ages 18-21) who are gang members in California and elsewhere, who drive by and randomly blast away...they can't be prosecuted because our tax dollars pay for defense to protect them from merciless prosecutors who might get them behind bars or deport them...
What I read was that it is up towards two million incidents a year that handguns save lives...and they don't count the police and military to doctor up the figures...
What ever became of swift justice?... being responsible for our actions or the sowing and reaping principle?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:51:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
So when criminals are still able to easily get handguns to commit crimes what happens to the rest of us exactly?

we die.  Apparently some people have forgotten that one of the reasons that the second was put in place was the distrust of government and as an equalizer between government, and civilians.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:52:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Taking away everyones handguns only makes it easier for big mutherfarkers like me to put the fear of ME into you with a broadsword.

Handguns are the ultimate personal defense weapon, one that does not rely on size or strength. Taking them away from the law abiding only provides more instances where brute strength is all that is required to create a victim.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:05:29 PM EDT
[#13]
From the way back machine....

"The exemptions would be for the military, for the police, for licensed handgun clubs, where they are target shooting clubs and the weapons are kept in a secure place, and for licensed protective personnel--security personnel," Chafee said.

Imagine that.  Police would have been exempted.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:09:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

"The exemptions would be for the military, for the police, for licensed handgun clubs, where they are target shooting clubs and the weapons are kept in a secure place, and for licensed protective personnel--security personnel," Chafee said.

What about handgun hunters?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:10:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Killing Made Easy

I love how they say Weapons violations I wonder how many of those are actually firearms.

Don't forget in many places having a pair of nail clippers with a "knife" in them will get you in trouble.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:10:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What about handgun hunters?

I guess they'd have to join the force.  

Note:  I'm going to avoid any dog jokes here.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:50:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Killing Made Easy

Got sources?

Translation: guns are only for gov't (to keep us safe).  Licensed antique collectors get to keep their ball-&-powder muskets.  Until they die.  After whence, they will be crushed.

Dammit, the falsity of the 2nd as a "hunting amendment" &/or "national guard-only" needs to be confronted & put down for the lies that they are.  The Constitution was ratified in 1791.  The NG came about in 1903 - 112 years later.  Thus, I doubt the FF's were talking about something that they had neither declared nor envisioned.  As for "hunting", well, I can't find the term anywhere in the Constitution - & I've actually read it.  I'm sure the founders had no problem w/ it, since it was standard fare back in the day, but it wasn't the point of the Amendment.

BTW - This country isn't a democracy - a mob rule society - as some would opine.  It's a democratic republic.  What that means is, minority rights are not subject to the whims of the mob.  In sum, whether or not a "majority" wants guns outlawed or not is irrelevant.  The law is clear w/ in its historical context & in its plain language.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:12:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Lawmakers know all this and know as well that handguns -- however exalted they seem to be in America -- should not be in general circulation. Political long shot that it may be, a national ban on the general manufacture, sale and ownership of handguns ought be enacted. It would not pacify kids or adults with violent tendencies, and it might not curb general criminal activity markedly. But it might well save thousands of lives.

Am I the only one that finds this paragraph contradictary as well as being very telling about their true intent?

If it does not curb violence (by his own admission), how does it save "thousands of lives".
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:16:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

As writer Jenny Price noted in a Dec. 25 op-ed in The Post, only 160 of the 12,000 guns used to kill people every year are employed in legitimate self-defense; guns in the home are used seven times more often for homicide than for self-defense.

Got sources?

They never do.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:17:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I love how it's better to let 1000 criminals go free than for 1 innocent to be imprisoned, but it's somehow better to infringe on the Constitutional rights of millions who acquire firearms legally than to find real solutions to the problems of kids bringing weapons acquired illegally to school.

ETA: Per the above post:  Oh, come on, give the writer a break!  The Ministry of Truth has said if they click their heels, cite their sources, and chant "There's no leader like Joe (Stalin)" over and over that everything they want to believe can come true.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:00:42 PM EDT
[#21]

What an asshat.Guess what--it would not curb general criminal activiy; rather, it would PROMOTE it!!!!! Would you rather try to rob someone who is armed or unarmed? Criminals won't turn in their fucking guns. Only the law-abiding, honest people will.

Oh, and I guess it is fine for Rosie Fucking O'Donut's personal body guards to have handguns, but what about the rest of us? Are we forced to take whatever comes our way?

We have got to put an end to this bullshit now before it gets any worse.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top