Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2006 10:06:37 AM EDT
If it were to come to pass that Man can create life, even create matter from "nothing,"  what would that do to peoples' opinions about God(s)?

-Would non-believers be more, or less likely to believe in God?

-Would the faith of believers be shaken or bolstered?

-Would God still be The Man, but just not as "bad-ass" as previously thought?

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:10:11 AM EDT
[#1]
When man can resurrect dead people and have them walking around
as if nothing happened, call me.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought this was about a philosophical point, not a question like, "If man had god-like powers, would God still be God?"

You want a philosophical point to ponder?  Here's one for you:

If a husband speaks in the woods and his wife isn't there to hear him, is he still wrong?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:13:52 AM EDT
[#3]
It doesn't really matter, because it's a moot point.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:21:21 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
If it were to come to pass that Man can create life, even create matter from "nothing,"  what would that do to peoples' opinions about God(s)?

-Would non-believers be more, or less likely to believe in God?

-Would the faith of believers be shaken or bolstered?

-Would God still be The Man, but just not as "bad-ass" as previously thought?

Some people would be devastated as they fully believe that only God can create man.

I dont think many people will really care either way.  Most people just want "something" to believe in to bolster their existence on Earth.  No matter what it is.  They want to feel a purpose here.
God, conveniently, fills that void.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:30:28 AM EDT
[#5]
No matter what man can or cant do some will always need believe in a God.

I think the quote goes " If God didn't exist, it would be necessary to invent him."  Not sure but I think its Voiltaire.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:32:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Create matter from nothing?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:35:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

You know how you think  something doesn't matter, and then all of a sudden it matters?

Kinda like that.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:27:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

happens regularly at the quantum level with virtual particles.  

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:31:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So it's imaginary?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I thought this was about a philosophical point, not a question like, "If man had god-like powers, would God still be God?"

You want a philosophical point to ponder?  Here's one for you:

If a husband speaks in the woods and his wife isn't there to hear him, is he still wrong?

Now there's one to ponder!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I wouldn't like the idea that man would be playing God, but- it wouldn't alter the fact that I believe God created man in the first place, so just because we could rearrange some molecules etc., doesn't alter what I believe one bit.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I wouldn't like the idea that man would be playing God, but- it wouldn't alter the fact that I believe God created man in the first place, so just because we could rearrange some molecules etc., doesn't alter what I believe one bit.

yup

God made man>
Man makes man>
God still made man, but man is not God.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#13]
As technology has increased and improved over the centuries and decades there becomes less and less a need for God because more and more things that used to require God to have created, no longer do.

So, based on your question, I beleive it would be a combination of some beleivers faith being shaken but ultimately fewer younger people would come to God, as is the case in todays United States.

I beleive this is proven out by comparing the United States to other less developed countries in the world.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:52:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Also let's not forget that Mankind makes Mankind all the time right now...!

That's a blessing from God as well.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:52:30 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So it's imaginary?

nope.  i'm not enough of a science guy to explain it properly, but they are particles that are generated from nothing, exist as matter, and then cease to exist, defying M/E conservation.  hence the moniker.

we need fizzasist in here.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top