User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2006 7:30:20 AM EDT
http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/E4BE798C-DE70-44A1-8A4C-759DA3268CBF.htm

Leave cold for obvious reasons.

_____________________-Article below-_______________________

Globe win for suicide bomber film

Tuesday 17 January 2006, 18:30 Makka Time, 15:30 GMT    

The film examines the mindset of suicide bombers

Palestinian film-maker Hany Abu-Assad was perhaps the most surprised man at the Golden Globes on Monday as his drama of suicide bombers crossing into Israel, "Paradise Now," was named the year's best foreign language film.

Abu-Assad, who works out of Holland but is now looking for a house in Hollywood Hills, had expected to lose as he did earlier this month to martial arts comedy "Kung Fu Hustle" at the Broadcast Film Critics awards.

He said he just assumed that too many people had either not seen his film or simply assumed it was too controversial. After all, Palestinian films are a rarity in the United States, especially ones that try to explain the politics of despair.

In his acceptance speech, Abu-Assad made a plea for a Palestinian state, saying he saw the Golden Globe as “recognition” that the Palestinians deserve their liberty and equality unconditionally.

Next stop Oscar

The film's controversial subject
had not made it a favorite to win

Winning the Globe also gives "Paradise Now" a major boost in its fight for an Oscar on 5 March. Its next hurdle is to become one of the five foreign films nominated for an Academy Award on 31 January. No Palestinian film has ever been nominated.

"I am surprised that we won; but I don't believe my film is controversial. It just shows something from a different side that we are all worried about," he told reporters backstage at the Globes.

Abu-Assad insisted that he had not taken sides in the film but had tried to explain why two seemingly simple garage mechanics would be willing to kill themselves and others. His film presents arguments on all sides of the issue.

"It is a work of cinema. Cinema shows you different points of view," he added.

To make the movie, Abu-Assad had to dodge a missile attack from Israel plus skirt landmines and threats from extremists.

But the filming in the West Bank city of Nablus, where his location manager was briefly kidnapped as a warning by factions afraid the film would be critical, was just one hurdle. Now he has to see if anyone is listening as he tries to explain a new fact of modern life.

"Paradise Now" wants the viewer to understand the mindset that produces such acts as suicide bombings - because, as Abu-Assad says, to understand is a first step forward.

Sign of impotence

"The feeling of impotence is so strong that they kill themselves and others to say, 'I am not impotent'"

Hany Abu-Assad, Palestinian film maker

One scene in his movie is set in a West Bank video store that might pass for one in the United States or Europe except that it sells tapes made by suicide bombers who explain their actions to inspire those that follow. The tapes seem to take on the role that baseball trading cards might have in the United States.

Abu-Assad says he believes that impotence fuels the bombings. And his characters' words underlie that thought as they go through their daily lives in occupied territory that the film presents as an airless, hermetically sealed prison.

"Under the occupation, we're already dead ... In this life we are dead anyway ... If we can't live as equals, at least we can die as equals" are typical refrains in the film.

The filmmaker says, "The feeling of the impotence is so strong that they kill themselves and others to say, 'I am not impotent.' It is a very complex situation, but the overriding umbrella is the injustice situation."

He says his film doesn't impose a point of view but instead tries to show "something invisible and that has never been done before."

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:42:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow, no one has a response?

This is why I don't watch movies anymore. These fucktards in hollywood that allow SHIT to be plastered all over the silver screen should be prosecuted.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:46:34 AM EDT
[#2]
This doesn't surprise me at all. The America-haters in Hollywood eat this kind of shit up.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:47:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Hollywood has always hated Jews and Israel.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:13:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Bump!

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:15:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Psssss....I have news for you....Hollywood is FULL of jews.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:24:41 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Self-hating Jews, yes.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Uh... the movie industry is owned and run by Jews.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:47:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:50:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, I think I left my surprise at home.  Oh wait...... I am home.  

-K
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:08:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Ha, the Palestinians hate the movie.  They think the suicide bombers are wieners for hesitating and having second thoughts, they aren't fanatic enough in their religious beliefs.

Palestinian Film Gets Thumbs Down at Home

By ALI DARAGHMEH, Associated Press Writer Tue Jan 17, 4:38 PM ET

NABLUS, West Bank - The Palestinian film "Paradise Now," which explores the lives of a pair of suicide bombers and just won the Golden Globe for best foreign film, got two thumbs down Tuesday in this tough
West Bank city where it was filmed.

Although the film — which snared the Golden Globe in Los Angeles on Monday — has never been screened in Nablus, residents here said the clips they saw on satellite television portrayed the bombers as godless and less than heroic.

"This movie doesn't help the Palestinian cause," said an armed Palestinian militant who would not give his name because he's on the run. "People who go to carry out bombings do not hesitate so much."

The film tells the story of two Nablus car mechanics who are sent to carry out a double suicide-bombing in Tel Aviv. They shave their beards to blend into Israeli crowds more easily, pray and prepare farewell videos.

The movie has received praise around the world and has been played in about 60 countries, according to director Hany Abu-Assad.

Speaking during the glitzy award ceremony Monday, Abu-Assad said he believed the film's success stemmed from the world's recognition that the Palestinians deserve "liberty and equality unconditionally."

Most of the movie was shot in Nablus, a militant stronghold and the home base of many of the suicide bombers sent to attack Israeli targets in recent years. The conflict served as a constant backdrop for the film, which showed houses demolished in Israeli army operations, the sound of airstrikes against Palestinian militants and large crowds waiting at army roadblocks.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:13:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Nuke 'em till they glow then shoot 'em in the dark.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:18:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll reserve judgement until I've seen the movie.  I've read that the filmmaker tried to show the issue as fairly as possible from both sides of the conflict.  We'll see.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:24:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:28:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Let me guess at a line in the movie.  Dirka Dirka Dirka Mohammed Jihad, BOOM!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:36:03 PM EDT
[#15]
I ignore all of the "I love me" awards that Hollywood gives out.  I see the movies that I think that I'll enjoy and ignore the rest.  I stopped going to the theatre as I can pick up the DVD for less than the cost for 2 tickets.  Besides, if it turns out that the movie sucks I can sell the DVD and get at least 1/2 of my money back.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Double Pssssssss!........i have news for you.........The golden globes are in hollywood but the nominators are all FOREIGN JOUNRALISTS. You know like al-jizz and ali-baba tv?! And frog-tv!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:49:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Liberal movie critics....can I just line them up.....against a wall??

Please?!?!?

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:26:28 PM EDT
[#18]
bump
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top