Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/17/2006 6:18:38 AM EDT
Firstly, I did NOT watch the Golden Globes Award!  I did read about these awards in the press.  

As you note the results, please remember that the members of the Hollywood Foreign Press Assn. are the folks who select the winners.  The outcome is often a guide to the Oscars.

In my quick review of this year's winners I quickly noticed a trend:

Best Picture was Brokeback Mountain:  A film about two homosexual "cowboys"

Best Actress was Felicity Huffman in TransAmerica:  A story about a male-to-female transexual

Best Actor was Phillip Seymour Huffman in Capote:  A story about a famous homosexual writer

Best Director was Ang Lee for Brokeback Mountain

There were others...but I don't want to waste your time.

Now...I'm NOT saying that these films suck...I'm merely pointing out that for decades, Hollywierd people have been largely out of touch with mainstream America.

Michael Medved is right.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:22:30 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Now...I'm NOT saying that these films suck...I'm merely pointing out that for decades, Hollywierd people have been largely out of touch with mainstream America.

DING DING DING... We hae a winner!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:23:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Kinda funny how the combined box-office receipts from those three movies totals exactly $342.00.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:23:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Arent the award shows just a circle jerk, like when they gave an oscar to micheal moore.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:24:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't forget, too, that the "voters" are the Hollywood foreign press, whoever that is.  It is a way for hollywood to go in with their elitist buddies to thumb their noses at true mainstream America.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:26:17 AM EDT
[#5]
where's that "capt obvious" icon when you need it?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:26:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Last I heard, receipts were DOWN. Of course this crop of artistes may turn that around. I probably won't see BM since our theatres don't want to rent a flic and show it to 3 people. So tell me, were those guys really cowboys, or were they lowdown sheep herders (those cattle barons in the REAL westerns may have been onto something)?
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:27:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I think last year or the year before a movie about some dude in love with a preop transsexual was nominated along with a movie about a man with a family who came out of the closet after raising a family.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:29:29 AM EDT
[#8]
It's all part of the normalizing of faggotry campaign that has been going on for years.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:30:17 AM EDT
[#9]
As far as I can tell Brokedick in the Valley has never broken the top 5 in ticket sales and has usually been much lower, around 9th.  This tells you how the "voting" for awards is bullshit.  I would say the movie viewing public at large is a much greater measure of a movie's merit over the long run.  

I guess this disconnect is the reason we haven't had a decent new movie in recent memory.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:32:53 AM EDT
[#10]
What?  You aren't gay?   Come on, get with the times.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:33:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It's all part of the normalizing of faggotry campaign that has been going on for years.

I agree, they got you to put a pretty pink ribbon on your icon  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:37:26 AM EDT
[#12]
When will they move on to the really important issues of the future and deal forthrightly with zombies and aliens in a meaningful and compassionate way.

Seriously, Hollywood gets it wrong so easily.  They hear guys saying they would like to be a chick and take it seriously and put out a movie, "Transamerica" about having an OPERATION...WTF...we were just kiddin...

Someone explain how Capote achieved "party icon" status.  It's somthing I've missed.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:42:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Will be the same for the oscars.
It reminds me of the "Year of the Dummy's" when Tom Hanks won for "Forest  Gump" and Jodie Foster won for "Nell"
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:43:21 AM EDT
[#14]
www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=brokebackmountain.htm

Brokedick ihas only limited release (less than 700 theaters tops).

www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=transamerica.htm

OMFG!  TransAmerica has only made $500k in NINE theaters and been out since early December.

www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=capote.htm

Been out since September, $13m and 300 theaters.

Yeah, these are films that MANY people have seen and responded to...

Circle jerk with an agenda is a pretty good assesment.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:49:39 AM EDT
[#15]
If these movies are so mainstream why not put them in all theaters?

Oh yeah, the mainstream America these guys claim to be in touch with doesn't want these movies in their theaters.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:52:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Best Actress in a TV series: Geena Davis, for playing a liberal female president.

Best Actor (Film) : George Clooney, for rehashing the story of Joe McCarthy, which has practically become a religion among the atheist left.  I like how that smarmy fuck Clooney thanked Jack Abramoff during his acceptance speech.  Fucking douchebag.

That's about all I watched from that worthless show . Wifey had it on.

I could go on, but I think the point has been made well by others.  BTW total box office receipts for all the main Hollywood studios last year was about 9 bil.  Total pRon reciepts totalled nearly $13 billion.  I think America has voted with its pocketbook...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:56:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Hollywood is PC and they won't rest until the rest of us "bumpkins" stop holding up society and start getting with the "program".

Tookie Williams should be pardoned and Brokeback Mountain is an "important" film.

Drink the Kool-aid and get in line, bubba!

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:58:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Arent the award shows just a circle jerk, like when they gave an oscar to micheal moore.

Yes they are.

Just weirdo's pattin' other weirdo's on the backside.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:59:22 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
where's that "capt obvious" icon when you need it?

You rang?

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:18:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry, but the pink ribbon is for breast cancer awareness.  What he needs is the rainbow (fruit loop) ribbon...
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:28:57 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=brokebackmountain.htm

Brokedick ihas only limited release (less than 700 theaters tops).

With Ang Lee, Heath Ledger, and Donnie Darko's salary, that film has no chance of making money.

But, we all know that Hollywood loses its money due to piracy.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:29:21 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Best Actress in a TV series: Geena Davis, for playing a liberal female president.

Best Actor (Film) : George Clooney, for rehashing the story of Joe McCarthy, which has practically become a religion among the atheist left.  I like how that smarmy fuck Clooney thanked Jack Abramoff during his acceptance speech.  Fucking douchebag.

That's about all I watched from that worthless show . Wifey had it on.

I could go on, but I think the point has been made well by others.  BTW total box office receipts for all the main Hollywood studios last year was about 9 bil.  Total pRon reciepts totalled nearly $13 billion.  I think America has voted with its pocketbook...

Yup...ones I left out.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:50:56 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
As far as I can tell Brokedick in the Valley has never broken the top 5 in ticket sales and has usually been much lower, around 9th.  This tells you how the "voting" for awards is bullshit.  I would say the movie viewing public at large is a much greater measure of a movie's merit over the long run.  

I guess this disconnect is the reason we haven't had a decent new movie in recent memory.

Serenity? But then again, Hollywierd supressed it and no one saw it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:54:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Everyone has likes and dislikes but when was the last time a movie truly moved you or blew you away?  For me it has been a long time.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:57:53 AM EDT
[#25]
It's just another way of making homosexuality 'normal'

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:06:08 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 on Hollyweird ignoring it.  Might have something to do with it's libertarian/anti collectivist "big .gov knows best" message.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:04:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Brokeback Mountain may very well be, cinematically, a well done movie. I wouldn't know, I haven't seen it, nor will I. I have no desire.

That being said, Hollywood would never criticize an openly gay movie. It'd be like a Vegan criticizing PETA.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:07:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:08:49 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Brokeback Mountain may very well be, cinematically, a well done movie. I wouldn't know, I haven't seen it, nor will I. I have no desire.

That being said, Hollywood would never criticize an openly gay movie. It'd be like a Vegan criticizing PETA.

Like a Democrat bad mouthing Ted Kennedy.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:22:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Hell, didn't Passion get the big ole fuck you last year?

And it took in what.....50 bazillion dollars?

Yeah, hollywood's in touch with the mainstream.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:29:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Like I told my wife, if your movie is about or has characters that are:

1. mentally handicapped
2. gay
3. transvestite

or the combo of the 3, you are guranteed to get rave reviews and movie awards - and I'm being dead serious.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:30:06 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We have these pink ribbons to support breast cancer awareness.  To support a member and another members s/o who have been stricken with this disease.  And you made that stupid comment showing your ass.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:34:47 AM EDT
[#33]
What makes you guys think the Hollywood really gives a shit about mainstream America? or has for years.  They make movies for the demographics that buy tickets.  Most adult males don't go to all that many movies.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:43:51 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Firstly, I did NOT watch the Golden Globes Award!  I did read about these awards in the press.  

As you note the results, please remember that the members of the Hollywood Foreign Press Assn. are the folks who select the winners.  The outcome is often a guide to the Oscars.

Best Actress was Felicity Huffman in TransAmerica:  A story about a male-to-female transexual

Best Actor was Phillip Seymour Huffman in Capote:  A story about a famous homosexual writer

Michael Medved is right.  

Well if you won't I will.........these films SUCK !!
And the term "film" doesn't even fit.  They are propoganda with a clear goal in mind.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:20:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Caught about five minutes when the wife and I had to pause the DVD we were watching for a bathroom break.

During someone's acceptance speech, after thanking all the usual suspects, they thanked their "movement" or something like that (IIRC, it was another term for special interest group, but the way it was said was very cabal-ish).

If anyone has a link to the transcript, I would appreciate your posting it.  It honestly spooked me pretty good, because of how easily I picked up on it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:30:45 AM EDT
[#36]

Any award that went to Backdoor Mountain should've gone to Walk the Line.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:40:21 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Any award that went to Backdoor Mountain should've gone to Walk the Line.

The characters weren't homosexual or transvestites though.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:47:22 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Michael Medved is right.  

Well if you won't I will.........these films SUCK !!
And the term "film" doesn't even fit.  They are propoganda with a clear goal in mind.

I agree...they likely do...but since I haven't seen them it would be wrong for me to critique them.

And yes...the message SCREAMS out at us all.  Hollywierd is now all about normalizing perversity.  Has been for years.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:54:42 AM EDT
[#39]
They should rename the place Homowood.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:12:46 PM EDT
[#40]

The Hollywood Foreign Press Association was founded more than 60 years ago by a group of Los Angeles-based journalists working for overseas publications..........

......and the group also gave an additional $250,000 to the Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund.

Gee, I wonder if they give money to politicians..........?  

www.hfpa.org
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:22:35 PM EDT
[#41]
I only caught a quick segment of the show before turning the TV off. I saw Geena Davis say something to the effect of Donald Sutherland being the god upon the alter that she worships...

That was more than enough for me to turn it off.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:33:22 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I only caught a quick segment of the show before turning the TV off. I saw Geena Davis say something to the effect of Donald Sutherland being the god upon the alter that she worships...

That was more than enough for me to turn it off.

I told my wife I couldn't believe that they were now giving Golden Globes for "Best Actress in a Political Campaign Ad" (in reference to the Davis/Sutherland/Clinton vehicle).

Fucking McCain-Feingold............
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:45:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Back in the old days this was the recipe for a good joke, not a movie:

1. mentally handicapped
2. gay
3. transvestite
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:52:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Is Backdoor Mountain about sheep herding? Back up to the fence baby, BAAAAAAAAAAAAH.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#45]
We should have ARFCOM film awards:

Categories:

Best zombie movie
Most innovative use of a firearm
Most accurate portrayal of firearms
Best firearm fatality
Best non-firearm fatality
Best "full power shot"
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:03:54 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Kinda funny how the combined box-office receipts from those three movies totals exactly $342.00.

At least try to be accurate in your posts. The box so far for Brokeback Mountain alone is $30,757,000.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:06:16 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
What makes you guys think the Hollywood really gives a shit about mainstream America? or has for years.  They make movies for the demographics that buy tickets.  Most adult males don't go to all that many movies.

If you actually look at the trends, NO ONE is going to movies anymore.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:01:10 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Everyone has likes and dislikes but when was the last time a movie truly moved you or blew you away?  For me it has been a long time.  

Master and Commander, Passions.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:03:55 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

+ an arfzillion
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:09:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top