Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2006 7:59:25 PM EDT
No one EVER listens to me here.... I say something but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. DrFrige is just paranoid. I lived in CA for over 18 years and avoided Six Flags Magic mountain because of the stories of the "Less than admirable" crowd that hangs out there.

My daughter (DFD) went with my buddy's family today and the kids go off onto all the roller coaster rides... Well the guy running the ride says you need to put your bag down... cant take it on the ride. So she puts it down with all the other bags.

She gets off the ride and it is GONE!

Contents: Cell phone, digital Camera, MP3 player, ATM card, Disneyland pass

she reports it to park security and GET THIS!! They say "Oh we get at least one of these a day"

WTF??

We go to a local water park here and they have lockers EVERYWHERE, Disneyland has lockers everywhere... If this is a normal occurance, why isnt there a secure place to put things?

Any of you ever been to Magic Mountain? Its like going to Folsom Prison but you have the freedom to come and go as you please... METAL DETECTORS at the entrances AND a L.A. Sheriff substation in the park as well... What does THAT tell you?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:06:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Stealing is a crime and the bastard that did it should be dealt with harshly, but dude... Your daughter laid her valuables in a pile on the ground and walked away.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:07:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:11:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
From what I've been told a different group of people go there as compaired to Disneyland, Univeral Studios, or Knott's Berry Farm.

You're not talking about British tourists, are you?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:14:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Stealing is a crime and the bastard that did it should be dealt with harshly, but dude... Your daughter laid her valuables in a pile on the ground and walked away.

Yes she did but it was in an area that was meant for that. I do blame ("blame" is not really the word Im looking for) it on the area she grew up in. She is growing up in an enviornment that is pretty much sterile. You can go for a walk at 2AM and you would be safe. We live in one of the safest cities around so she is not conditioned to that... maybe I should ship her off to NY for a few months...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:15:26 PM EDT
[#5]
At least she is safe, stuff can be replaced.

Fairly expensive less.
AT another park, we had security take my 16 y/o sister in law to their office, we couldn't come .  (I was about 21 at the time)

Supposedly she was "standing up" on a ride.    we were on the ride, didn't happen.

After awhile, we ask where she is - THEY HAD EJECTED HER FROM THE PARK  [angry]  

Cute, 16 y/o girl, early evening, ejected into a god damned parking lot by herself.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:16:12 PM EDT
[#6]
<sigh>

Sounds like DFD got suckered into the sheeple mode "Everyone else does it so you have to too" and got burned for it.  

Well, it's a hard lesson but one that will stick with her.

As for Magic Mountain... I've heard the stories, same as you and I'll be damned if I'd set foot in the place.  Almost any "amusement park" today you have to forfeit most of your civil liberties to get into and pay them a metric assload of money for the privilege of doing so, in the process of becoming trapped in a "sheeple containment area" (otherwise known as free fire zone if the SHTF)... Gee, sounds a lot like flying commercial, doesn't it?

Not a chance in hell I'd do it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:25:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
<sigh>

Sounds like DFD got suckered into the sheeple mode "Everyone else does it so you have to too" and got burned for it.  

As for Magic Mountain... I've heard the stories, same as you and I'll be damned if I'd set foot in the place.  Almost any "amusement park" today you have to forfeit most of your civil liberties to get into and pay them a metric assload of money for the privilege of doing so, in the process of becoming trapped in a "sheeple containment area" (otherwise known as free fire zone if the SHTF)... Gee, sounds a lot like flying commercial, doesn't it?

Back in December we went to Disneyland and something happened... we dont know what, we heard that a kid got lost then we heard there was an accident,,,, WHo knows... but Main Street was JAM PACKED with people and had NO WHERE to go.. people were just stuck for over 30 minutes.. NO ONE was moving and at that time I thought to myself... "Well SHEEEEUT... arent we just vulnerable" and THATS when I started getting into panic mode... some people that were clausterphobic were getting antsy.... it was bad.

Disney though has more of a desireable class of clientelle... I have no problem going there.

But MAGIC MOUNTAIN SUCKS!!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:25:13 PM EDT
[#8]
That kind of stuff never happens up here in Norcal.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:25:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Threaten a lawsuit.  They implied they would secure the purses.

Squeaky wheel time...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:36:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm sure the idiots in charge of security there would have gone nuts on any of the past occasions that I managed to make it in there without removing my knife, CRKT M16-14.

Dumbshits running the metal detectors are a joke.     It's precisely the kind of crowd that comes up from the LA basin that I choose to take my chances and don't leave my knife in my truck.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:44:03 PM EDT
[#11]
How much booze and diapers was Alejandro able to buy with the ATM card before she cancelled the ATM Card?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:46:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Nobody had any pockets to fit that stuff?

Leaving it unsecured was not very wise.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:47:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
How much booze and diapers was Alejandro able to buy with the ATM card before she cancelled the ATM Card?

Well there was no PIN# with the ATM card and it wasnt one of those VISA card ones so I THINK we will be OK when we can call the credit union tomorrow morning.

ONE problem with the Credit Union... no 24 hour number.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:47:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

You haven't been to Fisherman's Warf in SF lately, have you?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:52:03 PM EDT
[#15]

I'm sorry to hear about that! That really suks!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:56:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Yet another reason to despise the greater Los Angeles area.

I feel for the normal people that have to live there, I really do. The damned place is overflowing with criminals and whack-jobs.

ETA: it didn't used to be quite so bad as it is now, though; hell, I bought my first handgun (a Colt Gov't 9mm) at "The HQ" in the Carson Mall.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:58:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Any of you ever been to Magic Mountain? Its like going to Folsom Prison but you have the freedom to come and go as you please... METAL DETECTORS at the entrances AND a L.A. Sheriff substation in the park as well... What does THAT tell you?

Last time I was there was 1983. Apparently it is no longer a place to take your family.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:01:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Yep cna't leave your stuff unattended and expect it to be thier when you get back.  People are not trustworthy nor is it the parks responsibility either.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:07:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Very sorry DrFrige, but as was stated before, at least DFD is safe.

Heres a tip for you and yours, SPIDERS in the purse.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:10:52 PM EDT
[#20]
It was my fault for leaving my bag there. However, I think they should've had a locker or something considering they don't let you bring anything on the ride. As my friend's mom said, "I don't see why people think they can touch things when it isn't theirs. People disgust me."

Needless to say, I won't be taking a bag back or even going back for a while.

At least everything inside the bag was replaceable and nothing worse happened.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:19:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Yes she did but it was in an area that was meant for that. I do blame ("blame" is not really the word Im looking for) it on the area she grew up in. She is growing up in an enviornment that is pretty much sterile. You can go for a walk at 2AM and you would be safe. We live in one of the safest cities around so she is not conditioned to that... maybe I should ship her off to NY for a few months...

CITY!!! [soap]

I grew up in upstate and you can go for a walk at 2 a.m. no probs.

You can own guns there too.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:53:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CITY!!! [soap]

I grew up in upstate and you can go for a walk at 2 a.m. no probs.

You can own guns there too.

Im sorry... you are right... NYC!!! I grew up in Queens blocks from the nassau border and MAN that was a great place and STILL got to learns street smarts.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:35:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

You've never been to Great America, have you?

That place is f*cking GHETTO
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:56:37 PM EDT
[#24]

METAL DETECTORS at the entrances AND a L.A. Sheriff substation in the park as well... What does THAT tell you?

The police stole her purse!?!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:29:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Sorry to hear about this.  Stuff like that really burns.

I'd like to add something for those who don't know.  The lockers at Disneyland have a nice feature.  When you rent one, a machine issues you a code and you can use the locker for the entire day.  Just enter the code on a keypad and the appropriate locker opens.  There is a potential risk however which became glaringly obvious.  When we were there, we decided to rent a locker in the late Afternoon/early evening.  We were just about to pay when some young people came up and told us that they were about to leave for the day and offered to let us use the locker they rented earlier.   My wife was delighted at the opportunity to save a few bucks and took their ticket.  Once they were out of sight I looked at her and told her we were going to rent our own anyway.  When she asked why, I told her how I immediately realized that if they had written down or memorized the code, they could come in later and take all our possessions.   She scoffed, said I was paranoid and that they, "looked honest."  I asked if she wanted to bet our digital camcorder on that.

We rented our own locker.

BTW, those cable-type trigger locks come in handy for securing items to a stroller.  I wonder if park staff would let guests use one to lock something to a post or other handy object when going on a ride.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:40:56 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
No one EVER listens to me here.... I say something but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. DrFrige is just paranoid. I lived in CA for over 18 years and avoided Six Flags Magic mountain because of the stories of the "Less than admirable" crowd that hangs out there.

We go to a local water park here and they have lockers EVERYWHERE, Disneyland has lockers everywhere... If this is a normal occurance, why isnt there a secure place to put things?

Sorry to hear about that DF, but there are "less than admirable" people everywhere, and Magic Mountain is the ONLY coaster park worth going to in So-Cal.  Disneyland and Knott's are a complete waste of time, especially if you are a local (like I was!).  The safe place to put things is either the car or leave them at home.  Leaving your valuables in a huge pile of valuables seems like a magnet for the disreputable no?  

Cheers

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 12:49:04 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Yet another reason to despise the greater Los Angeles area.

I feel for the normal people that have to live there, I really do. The damned place is overflowing with criminals and whack-jobs.

ETA: it didn't used to be quite so bad as it is now, though; hell, I bought my first handgun (a Colt Gov't 9mm) at "The HQ" in the Carson Mall.

HA! Someone else actually remembers that place too. I bought my first shotgun there. Was interesting walking through the mall with it.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:40:12 AM EDT
[#28]
My simple rule is that I never take anything into a place that I cannot have on my person at all times.

Make a small target and you are less likely to get hit.

We live in a wilderness and there are predators out there. Live accordingly.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:42:51 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm pretty sure Cedar Point has lockers.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:55:36 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
<sigh>

Back in December we went to Disneyland and something happened... we dont know what, we heard that a kid got lost then we heard there was an accident,,,, WHo knows... but Main Street was JAM PACKED with people and had NO WHERE to go.. people were just stuck for over 30 minutes.. NO ONE was moving and at that time I thought to myself... "Well SHEEEEUT... arent we just vulnerable" and THATS when I started getting into panic mode... some people that were clausterphobic were getting antsy.... it was bad.

Disney though has more of a desireable class of clientelle... I have no problem going there.

We went to Disneyland the 5-9 of Dec. First time I've ever been there.We had a great time! Good group of people there and the kids loved it.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:42:38 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
<sigh>

We went to Disneyland the 5-9 of Dec. First time I've ever been there.We had a great time! Good group of people there and the kids loved it.

www.fototime.com/BBF9D7784F8814F/standard.jpg
www.fototime.com/03D1C6C8586037F/standard.jpg

HOLY CRAP!!! we were there on Dec 9th!! just checked the calender and that was the day we were there... WHY DIDNT YOU LOOK US UP ???

Now ya done pissed me off!!!

HEY EVERYONE!!! PIEEATER IS AN ELITIST THAT IS TOO GOOD FOR THE REST OF US ARFCOMMERS!!!!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:48:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Better check the equipment exchange.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top