User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2006 5:57:24 PM EDT
Let's get it on!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:04:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:06:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I just watched best of 2005 and I can't believe Horn turned out to be such a pussy.

Was the Franklin / Quarry fight on there? I want to see that one.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:11:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:14:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'll tell you who I want to see get knocked the hell out....is Matt Hughes. He really got on my nerves during the ultimate fighter this season.

I really don't care one way or another with him. Supposedly there is an "historic announcement" from Dana White tonight. I wonder what that's all about...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Can someone answer a question about UFC?

Why do they air 20 min worth of human interest shit and commercials, and only 1 or 2 bouts that last less than 3 min total?

I wanna like this, still not sure yet..... Giving it a chance....

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:36:34 PM EDT
[#7]
too many commercials
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:37:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm watchin'!!!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Can someone answer a question about UFC?

Why do they air 20 min worth of human interest shit and commercials, and only 1 or 2 bouts that last less than 3 min total?

I wanna like this, still not sure yet..... Giving it a chance....

They're trying to milk the popularity for all it's worth. Not making an excuse for it, I just think that's what they're doing.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:45:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Royce Gracie vs. Matt Hughes - that's the big announcement? Give me a break!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:47:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

are you kidding?  this is huge.  like joe, i got into bjj b/d of royce.  then again, i have been following ufc since ufc 1, so i'm sure it means much more to me.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

are you kidding?  this is huge.  like joe, i got into bjj b/d of royce.  then again, i have been following ufc since ufc 1, so i'm sure it means much more to me.

How old is Royce? I'm banking on Hughes kicking his ass.

ETA: I respect Royce and what he has done for the sport, but the entire buildup for an "historic announcement" was a bit silly.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#13]
If I ever must see one of their pay per views, it'll be from a topless bar or somewhere that I don't have to pay for 50 minutes worth of commercials....

I like the concept, and respect what they are doing, but they really could consolodate this package into a better time block, instead of selling advertising and wasting ppls time...

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:59:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If I ever must see one of their pay per views, it'll be from a topless bar or somewhere that I don't have to pay for 50 minutes worth of commercials....

I like the concept, and respect what they are doing, but they really could consolodate this package into a better time block, instead of selling advertising and wasting ppls time...

I'll have to agree - the amount of commercials tonight is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

ETA: I respect Royce and what he has done for the sport, but the entire buildup for an "historic announcement" was a bit silly.

i'll give you that.  i thought god was fighting the devil.

as for all the commercials, i'm kinda glad they are getting business smart.  it is a great sport and i'm glad it is making money for the fighters and becoming a more main stream sport.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i'll give you that.  i thought god was fighting the devil.

as for all the commercials, i'm kinda glad they are getting business smart.  it is a great sport and i'm glad it is making money for the fighters and becoming a more main stream sport.

I just hope it doesn't get too much like WWF with "historic announcements" and the non-stop mentioning of the upcoming PPV events.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:21:13 PM EDT
[#19]
matt is 32
royce is 39

that's not too bad.  randy couture is 42.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:33:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I just heard that Arlovski beat Sylvia, that is a fight I would've liked to have seen. Anyone see that?

I didn't get to see it. Isn't Arlovski the current champ?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:46:39 PM EDT
[#22]
quit bitchen and use your TVO, no commercials for me
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:57:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I can't stand Bruce Buffer.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:58:28 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I can't stand Bruce Buffer.

He does sound like he has a pair of nuts in his mouth when he talks.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:59:20 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I just heard that Arlovski beat Sylvia, that is a fight I would've liked to have seen. Anyone see that?

They showed it earlier.  Arlovski dominated him.  Nearly knocked him out, then submitted him with a foot lock.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:05:00 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Arlovski beat Sylvia with an ankle lock. Cheesy win IMHO.

Right now Arlovski is the interim HW Champ. Frank Mir was the champ until his motorcycle accident.

Frank Mir broke Tim Sylvia's arm with an arm bar, then Mir had ythe crash.

AFAIC Royce Gracie was embarrassed by Sakuraba in Pride in Japan a few years back.
Sakuraba toyed with Royce the entire fight.

I think Matt Hughes will kick Royce's ass.

I think Arlovski is a cocky prick who hasn't really beaten anyone of merit and quite frankly he's lucky to have the belt right now.

HS1
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:11:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Sylvia punches like a girl and that's all he wanted to do, fucking peck the whole bout.  Thought I was watching someone play slap boxing.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:25:16 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How old is Royce?

I thought he was in his late 40's.  but it turns out his DOB is 12-12-66.  Barely 39yo.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#29]
I would like to see George St.Pierre Vs. Matt Hughes.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:40:24 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I'll tell you who I want to see get knocked the hell out....is Matt Hughes. He really got on my nerves during the ultimate fighter this season.

Thank you!  I've been saying that for a while; the guy is a prick, and deserves to get knocked down a peg or two.  Yeah, he's talented but so are a lot of other guys.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:45:58 PM EDT
[#31]
That took 15 seconds if i remember correctly.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:46:44 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:06:50 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah that was pretty anti climactic.  Royce Gracie was a phenomenon in the begining only because no one knew any brazilian jujitsu, now everyone trains in it or at least trains to defend it.

Plus they can't wear the gi, a distinct advantage Gracie had used.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:09:35 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah that was pretty anti climactic.  Royce Gracie was a phenomenon in the begining only because no one knew any brazilian jujitsu, now everyone trains in it or at least trains to defend it.

How was the gi an advantage?  I remember the original, no weightclass UFC fights when the brazillians wore the gi's but I don't recall them being an advantage... if anything they were  encumbering.  Or did they use them for leverage, to hold onto?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:25:03 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I would like to see George St.Pierre Vs. Matt Hughes.

It's already happened, Hughes won. But, it was a quick armbar, and St. Pierre continues to improve, one of my favorites to watch.......
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:31:14 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How was the gi an advantage?  I remember the original, no weightclass UFC fights when the brazillians wore the gi's but I don't recall them being an advantage... if anything they were  encumbering.  Or did they use them for leverage, to hold onto?

Used them in a choke IIRC.  I am just quoting something I heard....but I haven't followed it close enough to know for sure why they don't allow it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:58:47 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They showed it earlier.  Arlovski dominated him.  Nearly knocked him out, then submitted him with a foot lock.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:04:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Those were some pretty lame fights last night. 3 out of the 4 ended within the first round. Maybe that's why they had so much human interest stories and commercials.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:35:40 AM EDT
[#39]
All the commercial and stuff had to be added because the fights where so short.  If they had gone the distance there would have been a lot less. Matt is not a bad guy, just says it like it is or he thinks it is. He will dominate Gracie.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:48:57 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Grab it to sink in chokes.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:57:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Tidbits of UFC info...

They showed three hours of old fights before the live broacast at 10 PM.

Way too many commercials but as was said, it  is cheaper than Pay per view.

Silvia beat Silva last night for a chance to go fight Arlovski again.

Ken Shamrock and Tito Ortiz will be the coaches on the UFC TV show this year. Shamrock is the toughest looking guy I've ever seen.

Couture vs. Liddell 3 coming up. I hate to say it, but I think Randy is over the hill.

Matt Hughs is at the top of his game. I can't imagine anyone beating him right now let alone Royce. In fact, I think Hughs will have to hold back so it isn't so embarrassing.

Stephan Bonner looked good last night. He is a very skilled techincal fighter. He was supposed to have fought back in October/november but was nursing a broken hand.  I would like to see him fight more.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:01:22 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Those were some pretty lame fights last night. 3 out of the 4 ended within the first round. Maybe that's why they had so much human interest stories and commercials.

You really have no idea what a good fight is. You need to stop watching MY sport.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:06:25 AM EDT
[#43]
If you people think Royce is good you should check Rickson Gracie. Over 400 fights and no losses.
BTW Royce is still very much on top of his game. The good thing about Gracie Jiu-jitsu, is that it was designed to work for a weaker person to beat a stronger one. Royce just recently submitted a 6'8" 486lbs champion Sumo wrestler.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:47:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Gracie might be good technicaly, but he brought on a wave of boring fights (45 minutes of hugging??) and fighters that caused the decline of interest in the UFC for years.  I hope Matt Hughes, dickhead that he is, crushes him.

Cheers  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:53:01 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Ken Shamrock and Tito Ortiz will be the coaches on the UFC TV show this year. Shamrock is the toughest looking guy I've ever seen.

Shamrock was great in his prime but is over the hill.  Ortiz is a scumbag. UFC needs to start drug testing its fighters...  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:52:38 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You really have no idea what a good fight is. You need to stop watching MY sport.

My apologies - and no, I won't stop watching YOUR sport. I rather enjoy it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:06:39 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

AFAIC Royce Gracie was embarrassed by Sakuraba in Pride in Japan a few years back.
Sakuraba toyed with Royce the entire fight.

HS1

I watched a fight with Sakuraba and another Gracie, one of royce's brother I think. Sakuraba stomped him. IIRC they call Sakuraba the "gracie hunter" or something like that.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:13:56 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shamrock was great in his prime but is over the hill.  Ortiz is a scumbag. UFC needs to start drug testing its fighters...  

I think they got those two just to increase the drama.  Both of them are hotheads without much in the way of scruples.  I guess this season of TUF is going to look like the Real World.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top