Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/16/2006 2:07:01 PM EDT
I have been around here since 1998 or so,(member 96 ) yet I don't have a bunch of posts.  It's not because I only post quality shit, I actually post short replies to various threads.  Sometimes I post in a funny thread too.

I don't post much because I can't type very well, and I'm too lazy to peck out a response.

All of you bigtime posters, do you have jobs that require you to type, or have to do a lot of typing for other reasons?

Balming
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:08:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Grew up with computers, just something that comes natural.  Though most of my posts have spelling and grammatical errors and lots of typos.  Though unless I have been drinking everyone knows what I am trying to say.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:10:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I grew up with computers and the internet in my teenage years, its as natural as talking on the phone.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:14:23 PM EDT
[#3]
BTW, I let my membership lapse, AGAIN, but it was paid a few weeks ago and should be in effect soon.

The above statement is for those "Pony up and join!" folks.

I'm also in my mid 30s, so computers are not something I grew up with.

Balming
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:15:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Took typing back in High School (early 70's) and learned to touch type then.  Been a hunt-and-pecker since grade school.

Computers in High School (TTY hooked up to a DEC) and then my first computer (VIC 20).

Gotten to the point now where about all I can write (sort of) legibly is my signature, the rest of it looks like Sanskrit.  

Is my typing ability why I post here as much as I do?  No.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:15:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
BTW, I let my membership lapse, AGAIN, but it was paid a few weeks ago and should be in effect soon.

Balming

Pff membership, its free now

25 bucks is a couple boxes of ammo or a gallon of rum.

Priorities man...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:15:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I nigh school my Dad insisted I take typing classes when I just wanted to take sauto class.

I was already pretty fast at typing from having a computer at home, but typing class was a real help to become more accurate.

And here it is, years later, I make my living typingall day  on the computer and I pay other people to work on my car. Good call by Dad!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:16:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm a poor typist. I post here frequently because it's a cool site.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:16:25 PM EDT
[#8]
<-- Computer-guy hint for a board name.

Ya, I type alot. I don't think I post alot here BECAUSE typing is easy. I just dig the site.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:17:36 PM EDT
[#9]
<-------Software Tester.

I still..for the most part..have to look at the key board while I type.  But I can type pretty fast.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:20:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I RARELY post one word posts or "+1" posts because these are signs of "Post-Whoring" There are many I have noticed that will QUOTE someone then either "+1" or "[insert smiley here]" and that drives me nuts!

HAve I EVER "+1" posted? You bet I have but not as a habit. Sometimes the original poster said what had to be said and nothing I can add will make his/her argument better.

Now I will admit that there are some nights that some of us get silly and post nonsense.

<----Guilty as charged!

But isnt that life?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:20:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Grew up with computers, just something that comes natural.

+1
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:20:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Had a computer growing up, so typing isn't hard for me.  Use them at work from time to time as well.

Responding in threads has nothing to do with my typing ability.  If I have something to offer, then I post.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Took typing back in High School (early 70's) and learned to touch type then.  Been a hunt-and-pecker since grade school.

Computers in High School (TTY hooked up to a DEC) and then my first computer (VIC 20).

Gotten to the point now where about all I can write (sort of) legibly is my signature, the rest of it looks like Sanskrit.  

Is my typing ability why I post here as much as I do?  No.

Similar situation, but my first comp was an atari 800xl before the vic 20.  Did a lot of typing in the mil and just went from there.  Typing ability has nothing to do with how often I post.  Whether I feel chatty or not......
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:22:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have been around here since 1998 or so,(member 96 ) yet I don't have a bunch of posts.  It's not because I only post quality shit, I actually post short replies to various threads.  Sometimes I post in a funny thread too.

I don't post much because I can't type very well, and I'm too lazy to peck out a response.

All of you bigtime posters, do you have jobs that require you to type, or have to do a lot of typing for other reasons?

Balming

I have worked full time in IT for years. My hunt and peck method has been honed over the years to the point that now I appear to actually have some idea of what I am doing when I type, when in reality I only use 4 fingers to type. But I can still do around 45 words a minute.

In fact, if I try to think about typing, I cannot do it. I can only type when I am thinking about the words I am trying to type as opposed to the buttons I need to hit. I also cannot type when looking at the keyboard. It messes me all up.

The truly frustrating thing is that I have learned to type at the speed of my thoughts, but now that I am taking classes again I am having to resort to the old notebook and pen. Writing is SO UNBELIEVABLY SLOW compared to typing, and I can't read what I wrote anyway because I haven't had to use handwriting except to sign my checks in YEARS.

I learned to type in my later High School years and on through college as I had to spend the majority of my time reading and writing. (The joys of being a history major) so I had to get decent at it. Once I moved into IT full time, I just naturally got faster and better as I went on.

Combine that with a job that requires me to spend long periods of time babysitting a backup or an imaging task, and you have time where I must be at the computer but cannot be deeply involved in anything else.

Enter ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:23:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Grew up with computers and I have been an applications developer and database administrator for the last 5 or so years (although that will change at the end of this week).

Brian
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:23:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I RARELY post one word posts or "+1" posts because these are signs of "Post-Whoring" There are many I have noticed that will QUOTE someone then either "+1" or "[insert smiley here]" and that drives me nuts!

HAve I EVER "+1" posted? You bet I have but not as a habit. Sometimes the original poster said what had to be said and nothing I can add will make his/her argument better.

Now I will admit that there are some nights that some of us get silly and post nonsense.

<----Guilty as charged!

But isnt that life?

+1
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:25:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:28:39 PM EDT
[#18]
I type like the wind.  I don't post often due to fear of newb ridicule, and a tendency to dupe topics that are 43 seconds old...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:30:24 PM EDT
[#19]
No, but my typing has improved since I joined.

-K
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:40:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:43:22 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
and a tendency to dupe topics that are 43 seconds old...

Don't worry,  I'm lobbying for legislation that will allow for the immediate execution of people that yell "DUPE!" every 5 min.
Welcome to the site
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:45:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Typing is one of the classes that I took in high school that actually turned out to be useful.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:46:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Been on here forever.  I usually just read.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:47:40 PM EDT
[#24]
my typing skills before the net were LOW

i did take a HS typing class, but i didnt care much about it and borrowed my friend's mini tv to watch soaps during that class (class was loud-we used real typewriters)  

im still not a very good typist, i make a lot of errors and i hate having to use the shift key to capitalize

so i dont  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:50:32 PM EDT
[#25]
My kids and wife laugh at me because I type with my two index fingers.. and right thumb, for the space bar.
But I can type faster than any of them

I usualy just read alot.  I just post when the urge, or alcohol, hits me

Edit: Damn, I forgot I took typing in high school. But it was the last class of the day, best time to sleep
I had no interest in typing so when I was awake i would work on the typewriters that were broke. I actualy fixed a few. Because of that I passed the class...with a D-.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:52:02 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

<----Guilty as charged!

But isnt that life?

+1
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#27]
it's a woncr I can typ e a like lick. My teachaer, Miss Burge, was HOT. Harhd to concentrate.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:55:37 PM EDT
[#28]
I do not have a job requiring me to type. It's a life skill.

I'm all for trashing the QWERTY keyboard and switching to something more practical.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
My kids and wife laugh at me because I type with my two index fingers.. and right thumb, for the space bar.
But I can type faster than any of them

LOL...  big ^5

I type with 2 fingers on my right hand, my right thumb, and my left pointer finger, but I type pretty quickly...  it amazes people who watch me...

and I only post when I have something positive to add... if all I have to say is a slam, it's not worth saying.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:28:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Takes me 10 seconds to type up a post . then i spend 5 minutes editing all the spelling .

ETA note this post was edited.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:33:27 PM EDT
[#31]
High school typing was THE single most useful class I ever took--better than anything in college or law school.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:36:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:36:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:37:30 PM EDT
[#34]
My boy in the ARMY types like the wind.

Grandpa did his job.

GM
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Self taught typist here , after 25+ years
of messing with computers it eventually sinks in .
It goes way back to the BB days and then chat rooms .

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:40:54 PM EDT
[#36]
I post here for the practice.

I got rusty there for a spell, but I am getting back into the swing of things again.  I still can't type without looking at the damn keyboard though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:41:33 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm here a lot because I only watch 1 hour of telivision a week and only work 3 or 4 days a week.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 3:53:24 PM EDT
[#38]
No I hate to type.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:04:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Although I'm not a big time poster I do type pretty well.  I'm a unix nerd so typing is not an option.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:05:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Can't type. Can't spell.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:06:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Uhm, I don't post very much at all.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:08:03 PM EDT
[#42]
I don't post a lot, because of choice.  Typing is cake.  Thank goodness to being on computers throughout school.  I actually resisted typing "correctly".  I'd prefer to look at my fingers when I was hammering out prose.

Now, thanks somewhat to the internet, and my desire to type faster to smoke through pointless school essay's I got to typing without looking at my hands and getting faster at it.

Most of the time Ill type a response then exit out instead of posting.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:14:24 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
+1  

<----Guilty as charged!

But isnt that life?

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:15:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:20:07 PM EDT
[#46]
I enjoy reading.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:20:39 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ya, I type alot. I don't think I post alot here BECAUSE typing is easy. I just dig the site.

Yep.

I can type pretty quickly.  Ever since the Commodore 64 days in school...

Apple IIe days here...damn I'm old
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:25:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Can't type worth a crap.  My kids thought  it funny and bought me a Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing, couldn't get past the first  test.

Don't post much, nothing worth while to contribute, plus I like to mostly observe.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:00:53 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Balming

Yeah, but you've been on the net for YEARS, you should know how too type braaa.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:16:16 PM EDT
[#50]
I lurk more than I post, and hit the "cancel" button as often as the "submit".

Plus I have a life, unlike some of you assclowns.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top