Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2006 12:00:43 PM EDT
So I missed 24 last night, doh! But I downloaded the episodes to watch tonight. I want to burn them to a dvd so I can watch them on my tv instead of my computer. Is there a free program that can convert it and burn it so that it will play on my dvd player?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:03:54 PM EDT
[#1]
*.avi file ???
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:14:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure about converting from DiVX to DVD, but some DVD players ( I have a Philips that is DIVX compatable) will play DiVX formatted CD's.

Moght check out the forum over at www.DIVX.com
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:15:05 PM EDT
[#3]
nero 6 will convert it for you.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:21:04 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Really? I couldn't figure out how to do it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:29:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:42:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm not sure about converting from DiVX to DVD, but some DVD players ( I have a Philips that is DIVX compatable) will play DiVX formatted CD's.

The Philips Dvd /DivX player is under $70 at Walmart
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:45:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really? I couldn't figure out how to do it.

This is a bit tricky, there are several "methods" to doing this. Basically what you have to do is the following conversions, AVI to ---> .MPG then MPG to ---->.VOB once you have a .vob file you can burn it to a dvd. Some programs will skip the MPG step and go straight to .vob.
This is what i do but it requires proggies that cost money.
1. Use WINAVI program and use the convert to DVD option. it will leave behind  .vob files.
2. use nero to burn the .vob files or use Nero vision express to create your own DVD with menus and stuff.    If the movie is say, 90 minutes this whole procedure will take about 2 hours!!

here are some alternatives,
You can convert the avi directly to dvd using the nero vision express and the program know as Nerorecode. This also does the conversion but is slooow. 3. hours for 90 min show.

#2 you can use TMPGE (free) to convert AVI to MPG then use IFOEDIT (free) to make it a .vob file. Then burn the .VOBs to a DVD using Nero. This is also excrutiatingly slooow.

Also check out www.VCDHELP.com they have a ton of conversion guides.

Using Nero is inevitable as it is one of the few DVD burning progies. (Roxio also has one)
And i find Winavi indispenseable because it is VERY fast.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:56:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Check here...www.videohelp.com/convert

But 1st check here... www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.
As someone mentioned, your stand alone player might be able to play the DiVX format
without having to do a conversion.

Converting video formats can be time consuming and a pain in the ass... especially if you're new to it.

I have a $60.00 Apex that I bought a few years ago and it will play about 95% of the discs I throw in it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:59:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Philips Dvd /DivX player is under $70 at Walmart

CompUSA <$69 and it will eat anything I feed it.

I also have a SONY that cost over $400 and it's like Mikey, it hates everything
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I use TMPGEnc, and am quite happy with it. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:04:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Just burn a video CD and be done with it.  Just about all programs for CD burning include video cd.  The extreme majority of DVD players will play that format.  30 minutes and you are done.....
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I use WinAVI to convert videos. It can covert all kinds into DVD and other formats.

I have converted many videos I d/l from Torrents into payable DVDs.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#13]
VSO DivxToDVD...it can be found for free, as long as you don't mind going to the dark side. It can be bought if that is a problem.

It works GREAT!!! Set it to maximum priority and it is really fast. Did I say it was easy?

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:01:18 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I use TMPGEnc, and am quite happy with it. YMMV.

+1 on it.

I use it nearly every week to edit videos, create menus, and burn DVDs
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top