Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2006 11:33:31 AM EDT
I want a porch out my back door.  I want it covered and insulated.  I want it to be fairly good sized.  I want it so that I can keep my dogs out on it when the weather is bad.  Right now my dogs come in and out from the muddy outsides and track mud all over the place.  I have to hose them down in the utlity sink and dry them off and then it smells like wet dog all over the place.  

I've been harping at the husband for YEARS now about a place for the dogs and he says from the discription I've given above he can't figure out what it is that I want.  So could some one please help me?  

I can make measurements and everything - just need to know what it is needed.

Patty
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:35:15 AM EDT
[#1]
So your saying you want almost like a sun room?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:37:10 AM EDT
[#2]
How big do you want this exactly?

How much room do you want the dogs to have and whats the side of your house look like?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:38:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

How much room do you want the dogs to have and whats the side of your house look like?

hang on I'll get some measurements.  

I wasn't picturing in my mind a sun room.  But a covered porch.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Whats on the back of your house right now?  Do you have a deck, stoop or nothing?  

I'm a carpenter.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:46:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Whats on the back of your house right now?  Do you have a deck, stoop or nothing?  

I'm a carpenter.

I have a huge mess back there!  I'll attach pictures.  I have a big concret slab of cement.  A make shift stair leading up to the house.

Patty

*ETA* Here are pictures:

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:47:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You just want it covered, or completely enclosed?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:51:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You just want it covered, or completely enclosed?

completely covered.  Like an addition to the house except not as complex.  

I measured the area:  Its 34 inches from the ground to the bottom of the door way.  It is 10 feet from the water spicket to the window seal.  I would like it to extend about 5 feet from the house.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:04:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Alright, well you've got some decisions to make. You can level it up with the floor of the house, or you can drop down onto it, it's all preference. I assume you don't want to build around the water line.

Do you want to go past the window? You could go to at least the edge of the house if you wanted to, or more. You can pretty much put anything you want there, you just have to build it.

If you went from the water spicket to the window and then 5 feet out you'd have 50 sq feet. Is that enough room for all your dogs to hang out? I'd say figure out how much of an area you want, and the extremes you want to build onto the house, as far as along the wall with the door on it, then everything else will fall into place. Hopefully.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:10:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I really don't care if its flush with the house or you have a slight step down as long as its sealed well.  If it would save money to step down then that would be fine.  If it would cost the same then I would prefer it to be flush with the house.  I do not want to include the window if at all possible.  50 square feet is fine.

I would like the area under the porch open on one end so in the summer the dogs could go under it to get away from the eliments too.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top