Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2006 7:53:56 AM EDT
Crap. I can't even think what is a good title for this subject but I promised Mrs. Ramjet that I would give it a shot.

A few months ago, Mrs. Ramjet buys a pretty neat fur stole that is made from some (well, a lot of them) expensive mink. It's an antique, and the dummy who owned it put a six inch by three inch piece of masking tape (the paper type) on it with his scribble price. Noooooo, he couldn't use a little tag like everyone else, he used some masking tape.

Here's the problem.

We can't remove this masking tape. It's welded to the fur and I'm afraid that if I tug on it too much, I'll create a bald spot. We've tried water and warm air from the hairdryer without any success. I don't want to try any solvents (rubber cement thinner) since I don't want to ruin what looks like a fine garmet. I thought I'd take it to the local dry cleaners but they ruined one of my suits so I'm far from opitmistic that they can figure this out.

I thought I'd see what the ARFCOM collective intelegance network thinks since some of you have perserved animal skins and thought maybe someone had a solution on how to remove this tape without destroying the fur.

Help me out. It looks good on Mrs. Ramjet when she's naked.

(Sorry, no pics)
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:55:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:01:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Their are places that specialize in cleaning that type of stuff. Probably worth it to send it off if need be.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:04:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Take it to a professionalfur person.

Lots of dry cleaners will make feeble attempts at fur and leather, and then apologize when they f* it up.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:06:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Nail polish remover and q-tips would probably work fine, but why chance it?

Send it out to a pro.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:06:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:48:06 AM EDT
[#6]
That's the sad part. I live in this dinky Mayberry type town, so finding a pro around here is remote. A fur coat around here is either from Wally-Mart or Tractor supply.

We lost our last Men's shop (that sold real suits). 50 plus years in the business.

I'll have to look around and see who does this. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:49:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
A few months ago, Mrs. Ramjet buys a pretty neat fur stole [. . . ]

I can't believe you would do that!  Return it right this minute!

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:32:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
That's the sad part. I live in this dinky Mayberry type town, so finding a pro around here is remote. A fur coat around here is either from Wally-Mart or Tractor supply.

We lost our last Men's shop (that sold real suits). 50 plus years in the business.

I'll have to look around and see who does this. Thanks guys.

It's worth mailing it out man.. I've had BAD experiences with fur and dry cleaners
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 9:37:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Crap. I can't even think what is a good title for this subject but I promised Mrs. Ramjet that I would give it a shot.

A few months ago, Mrs. Ramjet buys a pretty neat fur stole that is made from some (well, a lot of them) expensive mink. It's an antique, and the dummy who owned it put a six inch by three inch piece of masking tape (the paper type) on it with his scribble price. Noooooo, he couldn't use a little tag like everyone else, he used some masking tape.

Dont do anything for a few days and I'll find out and get back to you

You could maybe take some scissors and cut the fur off the tape, very gently, only the tips of the hairs.  

But like I said, I will talk to someone who knows and get back to this thread or via email.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:11:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd try Goo Gone.  It's a citrus based adhesive remover that you can find at walmart.  It's never harmed anything that I've used it on and seems to work great.  The only problem I can think of is that it might want to leave an oily residue but I would think that would be fairly easy to get off, maybe with baby shampoo or something?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:13:52 AM EDT
[#11]
FUR IS MURDER!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:18:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:26:26 PM EDT
[#13]
You've got mail!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top