Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:01:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Amen

X2

Not the one I was expecting though....
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:02:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, it must be MLK day (glances at calender) yep - it is.  

I thought Lee-Jackson day was last friday anyway?

Wonder how many locked threads we'll see.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:03:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:04:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:14:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
General Robert E. Lee

William Tecumseh Sherman was the man...

Yes, folks are always fond of recalling the man who torched Georgia.

Whereas, General Lee is only worshipped by the non-hooligans among us.

Upon General Lee’s death in 1870, the New York Herald wrote an obituary. It reads as follows:

“On a quiet autumn morning, in the land which he loved so well and served so faithfully, the spirit of Robert Edward Lee left the clay which it had so much ennobled and traveled out of this world into the great and mysterious land. Here in the North, forgetting that the time was when the sword of Robert Edward Lee was drawn against us—forgetting and forgiving all the years of bloodshed and agony—we have long since ceased to look upon him as the Confederate leader, but have claimed him as one of ourselves; have cherished and felt proud of his military genius; have recounted and recorded his triumphs as our own; have extolled his virtue as reflecting upon us—for Robert Edward Lee was an American, and the great nation which gave him birth would be today unworthy of such a son if she regarded him lightly.

“Never had mother a nobler son. In him the military genius of America was developed to a greater extent than ever before. In him all that was pure and lofty in mind and purpose found lodgment. Dignified without presumption, affable without familiarity, he united all those charms of manners which made him the idol of his friends and of his soldiers and won for him the respect and admiration of the world. Even as in the days of triumph, glory did not intoxicate, so, when the dark clouds swept over him, adversity did not depress.”

And that's what his former enemies said about him!

Eric The(BlessedToBeASoutherner)Hun
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:16:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Was expecting to read "James Earl Ray" as a gotcha response.

I've heard Happy James Earl Ray Day three times already this morning.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:19:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Me?  Yes its my birthday too.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:22:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes, Lee was the hero in the war of northern agression....
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:28:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:28:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup--same "clever" shit every year.  

ETA:  This reminds me of the way gas station employees always ask if you also have "gasoline" when you approach the counter to pay for something else you are carrying--they've heard the "I haven't farted all day" joke a million times when they ask if you "have gas."  

Or like when you hand a cashier a $20, $50, or $100 bill and they check it and you tell them "oh I just made that today!" or "you're not going to be able to tell it's fake, I'm a pro." Folks, they've heard it enough times to last 5 lifetimes. WTF is the point in idiotic stuff like this?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:29:50 AM EDT
[#12]
So far from engaging in a war to perpetuate slavery, I am rejoiced that Slavery is abolished.  I believe it will be greatly for the interest of the South. So fully am I satisfied of this that I would have cheerfully lost all that I have lost by the war, and have suffered all that I have suffered to have this object attained.

and his birthday, as mentioned below is the 19th, not today.

Sounds like someone is pissed about MLK...enough to lie about Robt E. Lee.

So, if it's an honest mistake OK, if you're just stirring shit, go over to DU and make yourself useful.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:31:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I thought Lee's birthday was the 19th.

Besides who'd want to celebrate the birthday of a man who LOST THE WAR by throwing away his men in a mindless frontal assault?

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:41:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
So far from engaging in a war to perpetuate slavery, I am rejoiced that Slavery is abolished.  I believe it will be greatly for the interest of the South. So fully am I satisfied of this that I would have cheerfully lost all that I have lost by the war, and have suffered all that I have suffered to have this object attained.

In before the "omfg the war was not about slavery!" apologists.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:43:17 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
General Robert E. Leehr

I come from Lancaster, his birthplace! He remarked many times though, that he didn't like Lancaster.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:45:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:19:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:23:43 AM EDT
[#18]
You talking about the greatest loser, right? Oh snap. On a sidenote, you would be surprised about Sherman's actions postwar.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:25:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Unfortunately particuarly in this case the writing of history goes to the victor.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:40:17 AM EDT
[#20]
"MLK" Holiday?  She It.  Even though there isn't much going on in my office today, I come in and tidy up the place, scrub toilets even,  and *work*.

How about we hijack the PC idiocy and call it MILK Day, in celebration of dairy foods?  I brought a chunk of cheese with me for lunch just with that in mindh.gif.    
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
General Robert E. Lee

I come from Lancaster, his birthplace! He remarked many times though, that he didn't like Lancaster.

Maybe that's why he went down south and trashed the place? Venting his frustration with Lancaster?

And don't forget that when he finished burning out Southern women and children, he went west to carry on his campaign of genocide against the Indians.  What a guy.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:46:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:47:10 AM EDT
[#23]
i get it off as a holiday for my company! and no, i do not work for guberment
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:49:36 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
"MLK" Holiday?  She It.  Even though there isn't much going on in my office today, I come in and tidy up the place, scrub toilets even,  and *work*.

How about we hijack the PC idiocy and call it MILK Day, in celebration of dairy foods?  I brought a chunk of cheese with me for lunch just with that in mind.    

So you got some of that cheese that you can listen to outside!?!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:50:06 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
efore him, and heard the lamentations of their women'.

Sherman is my kind of General.

ANdy

wow

vitto how would you feel if i stated

it's a damned shame Reichsmarschall Hermann Goering wasn't victoriuos in leveling those stupid brits during the battle of britan?

That is essentially what you have just said to me.

Sherman specifically targeted non military and civillians. He was a war criminal and should have been imprisoned.

Well, first of all BULLSHIT!  Sadly, that was apparently the way that the war was prosecuted.  No reb generals, of course, would have ever done anything like that.  Do you think that GWB is a war criminal since some civilians have surely been killed in Afghanistan & Iraq?

Second, Andy can spell, use capital letter appropriately, & use punctuation so a person can understand what he is talking about, not have to decipher it from ramblings filled with vitriol.  

Third, if you guys would just get over the Civil War which was lost 140 years ago, it would be a non-issue.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:59:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:02:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:05:17 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Third, if you guys would just get over the Civil War which was lost 140 years ago, it would be a non-issue.

Bullshit!  All alaman did was post that it was Robert E. Lee day(which it is).  It was the non-Southern members that started with all the "you lost" crap.  I don't think any of the Southern members here are the ones hung up on who won/lost the Civil War.  Some of them are, however, picky about history and will correct those that post inaccuracies.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:06:05 AM EDT
[#29]
How about Lord Cornwallis...........left to tuck his tail between his legs and go back to England

Quoted:

Quoted:

ANdy

wow

it's a damned shame Reichsmarschall Hermann Goering wasn't victoriuos in leveling those stupid brits during the battle of britan?

Sherman specifically targeted non military and civillians. He was a war criminal and should have been imprisoned.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:07:11 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
General Robert E. Lee

Uhhh, not quite:

Robert Edward Lee was born on January 19, 1807, at "Stratford" in Westmoreland County, Virginia. He was the fifth child born to Henry "Light-Horse Harry" Lee and his second wife, Ann Hill (Carter) Lee. He grew up in an area where George Washington was still a living memory. Robert had many ties to Revolutionary War heroes.

ETA my source,
www.nps.gov/anti/lee_bio.htm
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:09:14 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

That's only Virginia.  In Virginia, the Firday preceeding the third Monday in January--January 14 this year--was Lee-Jackson Day.

In Alabama, Arkansas, and Mississippi, today is Robert E. Lee/MLK Day.

In Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, and North Carolina, Robert E. Lee's birthday is recognized on January 19.

In Texas, January 19 is Confederate Heroes Day.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:11:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:11:41 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
General Robert E. Lee

Uhhh, not quite:

Robert Edward Lee was born on January 19, 1807, at "Stratford" in Westmoreland County, Virginia. He was the fifth child born to Henry "Light-Horse Harry" Lee and his second wife, Ann Hill (Carter) Lee. He grew up in an area where George Washington was still a living memory. Robert had many ties to Revolutionary War heroes.

ETA my source,
www.nps.gov/anti/lee_bio.htm

Yeah, so? MLKJr's birthday is actually the 15th. Everything is always 'celebrated' on a monday so people can get a 3 day weekend.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:13:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Good for you then............alot of my ancestors came from Ireland as well

Quoted:

Quoted:
How about Lord Cornwallis...........left to tuck his tail between his legs and go back to England

Wasting your time baiting there Dude, I'm Irish, I side with the Patriots.

ANdy

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:14:10 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ANdy

wow

Well, first of all BULLSHIT!  Sadly, that was apparently the way that the war was prosecuted.  No reb generals, of course, would have ever done anything like that.  Do you think that GWB is a war criminal since some civilians have surely been killed in Afghanistan & Iraq?

Second, Andy can spell, use capital letter appropriately, & use punctuation so a person can understand what he is talking about, not have to decipher it from ramblings filled with vitriol.  

Yeah, that's a good idea, keep hatin' on TBS like that, really, that's a battle you can win.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:16:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Lots of closet here.....

There is a lot of PC crap going on today, but MLK day is no such thing.

Why do you feel it necessary to ignore, or upsurp the national holiday of one of the true civil rights leaders of a christian background (no malcom x, jesse jackson or other attn whores) with some reference to the CSA, whose very exsistance was responsible for keeping his people enslaved.

You people need to grow up.  You'd be going ape shit if someone did something similar on Independence Day.

The south lost.  Lee was a gifted general, but he lost.  The south rebelled over slavery, and propaganda spun it as states rights.  Yes it was about states rights, one right in particular SLAVERY.

Sherman was a good general but ruthless.  He won.

MLK was a great leader and deserves respect from all men.

tards...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:17:15 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
General Robert E. Lee

Yes, folks are always fond of recalling the man who torched Georgia.

Whereas, General Lee is only worshipped by the non-hooligans among us.

Upon General Lee’s death in 1870, the New York Herald wrote an obituary. It reads as follows:

“On a quiet autumn morning, in the land which he loved so well and served so faithfully, the spirit of Robert Edward Lee left the clay which it had so much ennobled and traveled out of this world into the great and mysterious land. Here in the North, forgetting that the time was when the sword of Robert Edward Lee was drawn against us—forgetting and forgiving all the years of bloodshed and agony—we have long since ceased to look upon him as the Confederate leader, but have claimed him as one of ourselves; have cherished and felt proud of his military genius; have recounted and recorded his triumphs as our own; have extolled his virtue as reflecting upon us—for Robert Edward Lee was an American, and the great nation which gave him birth would be today unworthy of such a son if she regarded him lightly.

“Never had mother a nobler son. In him the military genius of America was developed to a greater extent than ever before. In him all that was pure and lofty in mind and purpose found lodgment. Dignified without presumption, affable without familiarity, he united all those charms of manners which made him the idol of his friends and of his soldiers and won for him the respect and admiration of the world. Even as in the days of triumph, glory did not intoxicate, so, when the dark clouds swept over him, adversity did not depress.”

And that's what his former enemies said about him!

Eric The(BlessedToBeASoutherner)Hun

and oddly enough, Lee had freed all of his slaves well before the war started.

Most people do not know that Arlington was Robert E. Lee's home, taken over for use as a hospital during the war and never returned (IIRC).  So we honor the heroe who gave all that he was, without enought troops, supplies, or ammunition by burying our revered military dead in the place he called home.

Fitting enough.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:17:59 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Lots of closet here.....

Why do you feel it necessary to ignore, or upsurp the national holiday of one of the true civil rights leaders of a christian background (no malcom x, jesse jackson or other attn whores) with some reference to the CSA, whose very exsistance was responsible for keeping his people enslaved.

You people need to grow up.  You'd be going ape shit if someone did something similar on Independence Day.

The south lost.  Lee was a gifted general, but he lost.  The south rebelled over slavery, and propaganda spun it as states rights.  Yes it was about states rights, one right in particular SLAVERYthe right of seccession.

tards...

fixed that for ya!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:20:22 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
 Even though there isn't much going on in my office today, I come in and tidy up the place, scrub toilets even,  and *work*.

I'm at work right now.  The only one here...

It is amazing how much work you can get done when you don't have to deal with so many equals.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:20:40 AM EDT
[#40]
Actually, Elvis's birthday is on Jan. 8th. (And everybody knows Elvis was "the King" )
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:21:48 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Amen

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
the right of seccession.

fixed that for ya!

And why did they want out of the union?  Slavery.

Nice try, doesn't wash.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:24:59 AM EDT
[#43]
< tries not to giggle >

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:26:41 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Lots of closet here.....

The south lost.  Lee was a gifted general, but he lost.  The south rebelled over slavery, and propaganda spun it as states rights.  Yes it was about states rights, one right in particular SLAVERY.

tards...

You need to relax.  You're putting way more into this thread than there is.  No one is taking anything away from Martin Luther King, Jr.  

Also, you really need to be careful about who you call a Nazi.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:30:19 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

You need to relax.  You're putting way more into this thread than there is.  No one is taking anything away from Martin Luther King, Jr.  

Its the same shit every year come MLK day in the south.  "Robert E. Lee day" or some such crap.  It really is pathetic considering the day in question reflects the life of a man murdered for his beliefs.  I'd figure those that want to uphold the imagery of a honorable south would respect the man enough to let him have his day considering you can easily recognize lee on his birthday.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:30:27 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It wasn't, pure and simple fact.  Anyone who disagrees is an uneducated idiot.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:31:35 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It wasn't, pure and simple fact.  Anyone who disagrees is an uneducated idiot.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:35:50 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Lots of closet here.....

tards...

Pure unadulterated HORSE SHIT.  At the outset of war the North still had slaves to.  Which means A. your arguement was just trashed and shown to be BS.
B. FACT. BLACK FREEDMEN volunteered to fight and we're allowed to form units and be supplied whereas black volunteers in the north were often faced with ridicule and givin a lot of trouble when they wanted to fight.  It was absolutely NOT about slavery,  Lincoln knew how history worked so he brought the emancipation proclaimation in so that when history was written, it would appear as though the war was about slavery,  It wasn't then, and it's not now. Don't talk history unless you know history.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:37:41 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its the same shit every year come MLK day in the south.  "Robert E. Lee day" or some such crap.  It really is pathetic considering the day in question reflects the life of a man murdered for his beliefs.  I'd figure those that want to uphold the imagery of a honorable south would respect the man enough to let him have his day considering you can easily recognize lee on his birthday.

Your talking to a society that has commercialized Jesus.  MLK isn't around to give a shit whether or not people remember him.  Like it or not "Robert E. Lee day" is a legit, AND LEGAL holiday in a lot of places.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:38:54 AM EDT
[#50]
“A plaque intended to honor deep-voiced actor James Earl Jones at the Lauderhill, Florida, 2002 celebration of Martin Luther King Day caused city officials incredible embarrassment. Somehow the plaque’s maker inscribed this extremely incorrect message:

“‘Thank you James Earl Ray for keeping the dream alive.’

“Ray was the man convicted of assassinating King in Memphis, Tennessee, in 1968.”

—ABC News
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top