Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2006 5:06:21 AM EDT
Man solves Rubik's Cube in 11.13 seconds

SAN FRANCISCO - A 20-year-old California Institute of Technology student set a new world's record Saturday for solving the popular Rubik's Cube puzzle, turning the tiled brain-twister from scrambled to solved in 11.13 seconds.
ADVERTISEMENT

Leyan Lo is part of Caltech's Rubik's Cube Club, a brainy clutch of students that hosted the competition at the Exploratorium museum in San Francisco. Lo's record-setting time came early in the day, among his first five tries in the preliminary rounds.

The record-setting solve caught competitors and Lo himself by surprise.

"It's kind of scary now that I set it, because I have two more (attempts) to go," Lo said humbly afterward. His time of 11.13 seconds broke the previous record of 11.75 seconds, set by Frenchman Jean Pons at the Dutch Open competition last year.

Still, the world record alone wouldn't gain Lo the overall champion's title at the event, which is determined by averaging three of five solution times in the final round. For that title, Lo went up against the teenager widely considered the fastest Rubik's Cube solver on the planet — Shotaro "Macky" Makisumi, a 15-year-old high school sophomore from Pasadena.

Makisumi prevailed, clocking in with an average time of 14.91 seconds in the final round to take first place.

Besides blindingly fast fingers and a head for memorizing algorithms used by most top competitors to solve the cube, what is Makisumi's secret?

"I don't know. Faster first two layers," he surmised, referring to solving the first two layers of the cube's colored tiles before moving on to the last. For his victory, Makisumi won a Rubik's Snake puzzle, one of several variations on the basic cube model which has sold more than 100 million worldwide, according to the manufacturer.

Contestants brought their own cubes to the competition, and a computer program was used to scramble the cubes in the same fashion for each round to give the contestants equal footing.

One of the crowd favorites was Casey Pernsteiner, 14, who traveled to the event from her hometown of Gonzales, Texas, with her mother. Pernsteiner logged a 21.59 second average in the preliminary round to move on to the finals.

The crowd erupted with applause as she threw the cube down time after time, slapping an electronic timing mat and consistently clocking times well under 30 seconds.

"My previous best time in competition was 25 (seconds) and I beat that, like, all ten solves, so I was really happy with that," Pernsteiner said. She finished among the top 16 finalists.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:09:31 AM EDT
[#1]
So.  More time or less time if that guy saw a naked woman before he would have a premature ejaculation?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:10:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I used to work with a guy that could look at a Rubik's Cube and then solve it behind his back.

11 seconds however, is amazing.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:05:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I think this guy is on the show BEAUTY AND THE GEEK.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:06:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I used to work with a guy that could look at a Rubik's Cube and then solve it behind his back.

11 seconds however, is amazing.

Nooooo.....taking a look at a Rubik's Cube and then proceeding to solve the bastard without looking at it again....THAT is amazing.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:08:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I didn't know solving the "cube" was such a major feat.  When they first came out I could easily do it on a regular basis under 10 seconds.  I got bored with it and quit playing.

lawdog
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:13:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I was a rubik's cube master in the 80's.  I could take one apart and put it back together in under 30 seconds every time.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:17:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I didn't know solving the "cube" was such a major feat.  When they first came out I could easily do it on a regular basis under 10 seconds.  I got bored with it and quit playing.

lawdog

If the cube was appropriately mixed up then I call
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:17:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Take it apart?

Your's didn't have stickers that peeled?

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:24:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I just used a hammer.  I found that a 20oz. ball peen worked the best for the combination of speed and mass.....

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:28:16 AM EDT
[#10]
These guys are some serious Nerds.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:29:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Take it apart?

Your's didn't have stickers that peeled?

Yeah they peeled fairly easily, but the corners of the sticker would get bent up and everyone knew that it had been tampered with.  Taking it apart worked every time and no one was the wiser.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:29:33 AM EDT
[#12]
My best time for solving one is 23.6 seconds .

That's IF I get to start with the new labels already
out of the package,and they don't have to perfectly
fit over the originals.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:44:35 AM EDT
[#13]
He can solve a Rubik's Cube in record time but he has no chance at solving a bra clasp.

I have mastered the one-hand, no-look bra unclasp .  I'll take that skill over a jackoff cube toy any day.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:49:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, but has he ever seen pie before???
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:50:55 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

lawdog

Sure you could.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:51:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
He can solve a Rubik's Cube in record time but he has no chance at solving a bra clasp.

I have mastered the one-hand, no-look bra unclasp .  I'll take that skill over a jackoff cube toy any day.

A skill set all unto itself!

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:52:01 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

lawdog

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:53:34 AM EDT
[#18]
IIRC there's a certain pattern that (no matter how mixed up it is) will solve the Rubix cube. So memorizing the pattern and then getting your fingers used to doing it quickly really doesn't seem all that impressive to me.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:54:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:54:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A skill set all unto itself!

When you can undo a bra so fast the chick steps back, looks, and says, "Dayum, that was gooooooood!" you know you got skillz fo life.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:57:13 AM EDT
[#21]
How appropriate that one of the prizes is a Rubik's "snake".  These geeks better get used to handling a cock-shaped object now...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:58:07 AM EDT
[#22]
I always thought the rubiks cube as a waste of time. When it came out, I was already into dating girls and smokin' the tires on my '71 Nova.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:58:51 AM EDT
[#23]

You're full of shit if you think you did Rubik's cube in under 10 seconds back then:

Rubik's Cube World Records
The first world championship was held on 5 June 1982 in Budapest. The first places were won by:
1. Minh Thai (USA) 22.95 sec
2. Razoux Schultz (Netherlands) 24.32 sec
3. Zoltan Labas (Hungary) 24.49 sec

My best time as an 80's geekernerd was under a minute - but nowhere near world-record time.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:00:21 AM EDT
[#24]
It's Lawdog people, his entire life is BS.

I'm surprised someone hasn't renamed him to forum troll yet,
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:11:23 AM EDT
[#25]

Being pretty generous there, aren't we?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:15:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:22:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Sure you could.

You know I Pron you Dk-Prof??  I really do.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:34:50 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Sure you could.

Nice try so has the TRUCKLOAD OF MONEY COME YET?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:40:37 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Sure you could.

WTH does pron mean in this context?

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:45:33 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Sure you could.

WTH does pron mean in this context?

I was wondering the same thing. I guess when someone can do a Rubiks Cube way faster than the fastest person in the world without even really trying, they probably speak on a higher intelligence level that normal humans can not comprehend.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:03:23 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

BIG +1 here!!!

TXL
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:05:14 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Well guys, gotta tell ya. Being a geek is a GOOD thing in the long run. People with the highest networth's in this country are geeks. Take Bill Gates as an example. IN my industry - financial services - it use to be the trader with the MBA from Wharton or Harvard made the most. Now there is a shift. The hottest trader is the geekest guy. With the start of electronic trading. Most traders being hired these day on the prop desk are the one with math, physics, and programming degrees. Typically from MIT. Most have MIS background. A lot of hedge fund would require their traders to have knowledge of C++ programming. In stocks they deal with algorythms. With fixed income, so called black boxes - programmed software that helps with buy/sell desicions mathematical equations of past/current/projected market conditions - are becoming more and more used by the wirehouses.

Geeks rule. Wish I was one.

At least you would have an excuse for not getting any pu-nanny.

TXL
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:41:26 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

lawdog

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:46:54 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

lawdog

Just think how many cubes you'll be able to buy with the money you have leftover after buying ARFCOM..

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:48:22 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I remember my first time encountering a front snap bra, I was fumbling around for a couple of seconds and the girl (hot as hell) said "it's in the front silly"
I wasn't even sure I was getting to second base let alone home plate, LOL
That little sentence took all the doubt away.

Bobby Jo, that girl was half French and half Italian and multi orgasmic.
When she hit that moment she would bite my shoulder and moan/scream like a banshee.

Damn I need a cold shower.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:55:40 AM EDT
[#36]
I used to be able to solve rubik's cubes in a little under a minute. Most of that time was spent trying to figure out how to get that last fricking square. Now I doubt I could get one in under ten minutes.

I've seen the "look at the cube, then put it behind your back and solve it without looking" trick before. It's pretty impressive.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:47:46 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

not bad, but can you do it with a front-closure bra?

that, my son, is the true measure.

[edit:  should have read the rest of the thread]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Front closure, two fingers, middle and thumb, one second...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Being pretty generous there, aren't we?

That's what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:51:21 PM EDT
[#40]
I can't even peel the stickers that fast.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:55:46 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Meh, you guys have your priorities screwed up.

Wiggle left, wiggle right, and my undies slip down my right pant leg.

Ok, not really, but if you stash an extra pair in there and pull that little trick, you'll impress the SHIT out of your wife.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 12:59:41 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

well done.

that covers the plastic fold/slide closure.

now, for the low-tech, and much more difficult, vertical hook and loop?

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:39:43 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

well done.

that covers the plastic fold/slide closure.

now, for the low-tech, and much more difficult, vertical hook and loop?

Scissors
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:06:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:15:39 PM EDT
[#45]
The whole cube thing is kind of a show.  Solving one by yourself shows that you have some good puzzle solving skills but this 'speed cubing' stuff is just memorization.  I used to be able to do them pretty quickly, less than a minute, but it's all about memorizing algorithms.  It's been a while so now I can solve the first two layer but then I just get stuck.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#46]

One of the crowd favorites was Casey Pernsteiner, 14, who traveled to the event from her hometown of Gonzales, Texas, with her mother. Pernsteiner logged a 21.59 second average in the preliminary round to move on to the finals.

The crowd erupted with applause as she threw the cube down time after time, slapping an electronic timing mat and consistently clocking times well under 30 seconds.

"My previous best time in competition was 25 (seconds) and I beat that, like, all ten solves, so I was really happy with that," Pernsteiner said. She finished among the top 16 finalists.

Well no shit SHE was one of the crowd favorites, I'm sure she was the only girl there!!

Dorks....
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:19:14 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
The whole cube thing is kind of a show.  Solving one by yourself shows that you have some good puzzle solving skills but this 'speed cubing' stuff is just memorization.  I used to be able to do them pretty quickly, less than a minute, but it's all about memorizing algorithms.  It's been a while so now I can solve the first two layer but then I just get stuck.

Indeed.  It was a great way to intellectually intimidate those who would be intimidated by such a thing.

I never really got much faster than a minute, and now I am lucky to avg 2 mins or so when I can remember the algorithms at all.

Lawdog, you my friend are full of shit.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:20:41 PM EDT
[#48]
They still make Rubik's cubes?  

Who woulda thunk?
~Dg84
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:22:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Thats not the fastest time.....

Lemme go find it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top