User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2006 5:01:39 AM EDT
Violence erupts at New Orleans Unity Parade

Shots Ring Out During New Orleans Parade
Jan 16 12:16 AM US/Eastern
Email this story

NEW ORLEANS

A parade intended to show unity and support for the city's rebuilding was instead marred by violence Sunday when shots rang out, wounding three people as the event drew to a close.

Not long after the parade wrapped up, police officers patrolling the route heard gunfire. They then found a 34-year-old man with multiple wounds, police spokesman Gary Flot said.

Minutes later, after more shots rang out, officers discovered an 18- year-old woman wounded in the leg. A man, 20, also was shot in the leg, in the same area.

All three were admitted to local hospitals, where the 34-year-old was listed in guarded condition; the 20-year-old was in fair condition, and the 18-year-old in good condition Sunday night, Flot said. Their names were not immediately available.

A crowd of thousands had gathered for what had been a festive occasion for New Orleanians determined to make their way back from temporary homes in places such as Houston and Atlanta.

The Social Aid & Pleasure Club All-Star Second-Line featured clubs marching in support of New Orleans' renewal and their own role in the city's future.

"This is not what I came back here to see," said Delanda Garner, who has been staying in Houston.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:04:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm shocked!
Oh wait, no I'm not...
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:09:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Three people out of a crowd of how many, exactly?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:09:58 AM EDT
[#3]
time to break out the popcorn and soda for this one.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:10:49 AM EDT
[#4]
SAY IT AIN'T SO!
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:11:27 AM EDT
[#5]
See this on my face, it's not surpsrise.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:12:02 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Three people out of a crowd of how many, exactly?

Does it matter?    We have gatherings of hundreds of thousands and we manage not to shoot anyone
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:15:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Does it matter?    We have gatherings of hundreds of thousands and we manage not to shoot anyone

Actually, look at the various types of violence that very often goes along with any large public gathering; rock concerts, etc. Happens a LOT. You just don't hear about it, or it doesn't register with you. In this case it happened to be gunfire. "We" are hardly exempt. And whats with this "we" thing, exactly?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:16:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Probably just an upset refugee ( I mean displaced New Orleans person ) who is upset about not getting any more free rent at the local Hotel or he maxed out his Red Cross debit card @ the local titty bar
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:16:41 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Violence erupts at New Orleans Unity Parade

<Snip> "This is not what I came back here to see," said Delanda Garner, who has been staying in Houston with her sister Londifobidolondwa Garner.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:16:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Your tax dollars at work.  There is no reason federal dollars should be spent to rebuild a city.  I could see repairing/rebuilding the interstate highways around New Orleans, but they should stop at the exit ramps.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:31:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, look at the various types of violence that very often goes along with any large public gathering; rock concerts, etc. Happens a LOT. You just don't hear about it, or it doesn't register with you. In this case it happened to be gunfire. "We" are hardly exempt. And whats with this "we" thing, exactly?

'We' refers to a culture that isn't as violence prone as the NOLA culture appears to be
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:40:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:40:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
'We' refers to a culture that isn't as violence prone as the NOLA culture appears to be

They are still Americans; they are not a foreign nation. They are us. In terms of violence, do they really have that much MORE violence than the rest of urbanized American society? And not going by the AR15 stereotypes of Lootie and all that stuff that was so quickly disproven after all the hype died down...................
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:42:53 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

They are still Americans; they are not a foreign nation. They are us. In terms of violence, do they really have that much MORE violence than the rest of urbanized American society? And not going by the AR15 stereotypes of Lootie and all that stuff that was so quickly disproven after all the hype died down...................

Yes, if you look at the crime stats NOLA was a pretty rough area, before Katrina.

They do have a more violent subculture, as most urban areas do.

I will not go there on race.   It's a culture thing, and yes, one race does tend to dominate that culture, but it's not because of the color, it's the culture that idolizes the gangster lifestyle
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:47:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:51:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I hate that when Katrina came through nobody held the handle down longer to make sure that shithole got completely flushed.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:53:21 AM EDT
[#17]
I voted it could happen anywhere.  It's true.  New York, Chicago, L.A., anywhere.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:10:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I also voted that it can happen anywhere.

LA ,New York,Miami,Philthadelphia ,Pittsburg,
DC, anywhere there's a large population with a self defined
"Ghetto Area and mobster wanta-be culture".

I don't give a crap what anyone says,
These people live this way because either they want to or are to
stupid to see things in another way.

They're always saying we don't know what it's like to live with the
killing ,then they go out and spend their welfare/drug money on
"Gangsta Rap" albums and idolize that culture.

What a bunch of serious Fucktards !  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:18:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:21:13 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
as the thugs are sent back home, they will have to position themselves to retake their "territories". i expect a lot of this in the near future down there. jmho. i really feel sorry for those thinking it's going to be a decent place to live anytime in the near future.

mike

Could be a nearly ideal situation for one with the guts and backing to make things work out for their own good.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top