Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2006 6:39:46 PM EDT

We picked him up this morning.  He cried for about a half hour after leaving his previous owner.  His name is Gus, short for Gustoph.   We decided that even though the previous owner only had him for about 3 or 4 months, his name had been constant since he was born, and we should keep it.

He is kind of small for a GSD, at only a little more than 70lbs, at just under 2yrs old.  He's had all his shots, microchiped, and knows quite a few commands.   Since letting him out when we got home, he has not left my side.  He is great with my boys who played with him in the yard, and even tried to climb into bed with my 6yr old.  

I can't believe how completely devoted this dog is to me right now; so quickly.  I realize he is latching onto something constant, but the dog doesn't even let me go to the bathroom alone.  We went for a 2.5mile run, a 2mile bike ride, and he is still going.  Right now he is layinig beside me as I type this.  

I didn't think I was ready for a new dog after my Chealsey died, but Gus is unreal.  He is constantly listening and watching everything that is going on around us; even while laying down "sleeping".  

I have a new best frriend, and I couldn't be happier.  I don't want to go to work tomorrow, and leave him, but my wife has the day off, and will stay with him all day.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome dog, and great choice!!!!  GSDs are the best.  Congrats!!!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#2]
What is a GSD? He looks like a great dog!

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:50:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

German Shepard

Good looking dog, but I have this thing where ill only own a dog from a puppy after he is weened (sp?) off the momma....
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:51:13 PM EDT
[#4]
The shelter said he was full blooded and bought from a breeder, and brought back because he was too active.   I suppose that following someone around constantly, might freak them out, but I don't know why someone would not love this dog.  I think that maybe the original owners thought he was too small.   The gal that gave him to us, got him from the shelter, but is going active duty, and has to give him up.      I felt really bad for her today.  She was crying when she left.  

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#5]
German Shepherd Dog
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:52:41 PM EDT
[#6]
"May we all become the great person our dogs think we are" (Unknown)     People who don't have dogs don't understand just how loyal dogs can be.  Enjoy your new best friend, treat him well and he will look over you and yours till the last beat of his heart.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:56:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

German Shepard

Good looking dog, but I have this thing where ill only own a dog from a puppy after he is weened (sp?) off the momma....

I was the same way.  My wife and I decided that we couldn't afford 1k for a puppy.  I was afraid of how he would be with my boys, but the second owner had a 2yr old who would ride him, so I figured he was going to be ok.  So far, I couldn't have asked for anything more.
another pic

My wife and I also felt really, really good about not allwoing this dog to have to go back to the shelter a second time.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:58:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I need a Shepherd so bad.

Nice looking dog.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Good job. I rescued my girl at 4 months also.

Read up on the breed. There are some things you will need to do sooner than later.

Do not leave him with the kids unsupervised for a while.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Gus is one handsome dawg.  Thumbs up!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:24:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:25:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Handsome dog dude.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:30:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Mans best friend.

Don't listen to the fools that post "dogs are just animals" he is part of your pack, and he looks to you for leadership.

I always try and get dogs from the pound, or breeder so they don't really have a previous owner per se.  I don't like making them come from a broken home
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top