Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2006 5:54:01 PM EDT
Turns out that he was a good kid, what were the odds? (100%?)

Family, Friends Mourn Teen Shot by Police
By TRAVIS REED
Associated Press Writer
Jan 15, 2006
hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SCHOOL_EVACUATED?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US
LONGWOOD, Fla. (AP) -- Family and friends gathered at a private candlelight vigil Sunday to mourn a 15-year-old they knew as a troubled but friendly boy who was shot during a confrontation with police at his middle school.

Christopher Penley was pronounced dead early Sunday, according to the Seminole County Sheriff's Office Web site, two days after a deputy gunned him down as the boy brandished a pellet gun that closely resembled a 9mm handgun.

The boy had been described as clinically brain dead Saturday, and was kept alive so his organs could be harvested, said Mark Nation, a lawyer for Penley's parents.

On Friday, he was in a Milwee Middle School classroom with the pellet gun when another boy scuffled with him for control of the weapon. Christopher was later cornered by sheriff's deputies and a SWAT team in a bathroom, authorities said.

Seminole County Sheriff Don Eslinger said the boy was suicidal and couldn't be talked into surrendering the weapon. The teenager was shot after he raised the gun at a deputy, Eslinger said.

The sheriff said it wasn't until after the incident that authorities realized the weapon was only a pellet gun.

No one else at the 1,100-student school in suburban Orlando was injured.

The media was barred from the memorial service near Penley's neighborhood, which was reeling from the shooting. Family and friends say the boy was emotionally troubled, reportedly bullied at school and had run away from home several times.

Mourners emerged from the church carrying candles, sobbing and hugging each other.

"There were a lot of songs, praying, the minister spoke a few times - trying to comfort the family that he's in a better place," said Heather Sinclair, who mentored Penley in elementary school in Winter Springs.

Pastor Robbie Hall said he addressed the roughly 135 people in the church with a message of peace.

Outside, 18-year-old Steven Lewis, who had known Christopher for five years, said the teen "got along with everyone."

"Everyone was his best friend,"
Lewis said. "He's still with me in my heart."

Funeral arrangements were pending.

"It's just unbelievable to me that he's gone," said Bucky Hurt, a family friend who had been with the boy's father, Ralph Penley, at the hospital. "It's very, very devastating. Good kid too - it's a tragedy."
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:58:56 PM EDT
[#1]
He got what he deserved.  If someone walks into a bank and did this, the same would happen.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#3]
duepe...link
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:05:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Fuck him and his asshat family.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:09:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Amen, pray for the officer, he was in an impossible situation. Now all the dirtbags will be second guessing him.

BTW the officer should be given an award for good shooting.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
duepe...link

I didn't think there were any other articles previously posted that talked about what a wonderful kid he was

Especially with the contradictory statements included(the two parts in bold)
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:25:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
duepe...link

I didn't think there were any other articles previously posted that talked about what a wonderful kid he was

No offense but the article I linked the mom thought he was a "normal" kid.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:28:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Amen, pray for the officer, he was in an impossible situation. Now all the dirtbags will be second guessing him.

I highly doubt the officer is as enthusiastic about it as some of you are here.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:30:46 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably not. But then, he probably cares a lot more about people in general than I do.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:32:22 PM EDT
[#10]
He was a troubled kid.
He didn't "deserve" to die, but there was only one outcome given the circumstances.
I can't make any "Darwin" comments, as I've known enough fucked-up people to know that they didn't want to be that way.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:32:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the officer is any kind of human, (and he probably is)he feels like hell and is going to need an awful lot of help to get through it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:36:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
duepe...link

No offense but the article I linked the mom thought he was a "normal" kid.

No offense taken, I posted this because it seemed like more of an "after the dust died down" view
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:38:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the officer is any kind of human, (and he probably is)he feels like hell and is going to need an awful lot of help to get through it.

It sounds like he did his job correctly, I hope he is able to deal with the emotional aspects of the shooting
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
He was a troubled kid.
He didn't "deserve" to die, but there was only one outcome given the circumstances.
I can't make any "Darwin" comments, as I've known enough fucked-up people to know that they didn't want to be that way.

I agree.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Been trying to tell by the pics is it a airsoft or a actual BB/ pellet gun?
Looked like a Beretta 92 with no safety
I guess since he ahd to paint it black it was a airsoft , but i was just curious
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:42:12 PM EDT
[#16]
They are always "Great" kids.....
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:44:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I like how the reporter used the term "gunned down."

How about "the officer took what he thought were the necessary actions to defend his life".......
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:45:17 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
They are always "Great" kids.....

Yup, even the gangbangers that have raped, robbed and killed people in their own neighborhood
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top