Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2006 4:32:24 PM EDT
Lets say you are in a parking lot and some guy comes up to you and offers to sell you a leupold scope for $100.  Normally it retails for $1200.  Would take it and run or would you say no?  Or would you call the cops?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:33:35 PM EDT
[#1]
nope. I had a bad experience once and it ain't worth it
I would call the cops.
ETA: Bad karma too. Picture some asshole selling your stuff for nothing
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Lets say you are in a parking lot and some guy comes up to you and offers to sell you a leupold scope for $100.  Normally it retails for $1200.  Would take it and run or would you say no?  Or would you call the cops?

Just run away.  Then call the cops.

Are we speaking from experience?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:36:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope. My luck is never that good anyways - all I've ever been approached with are speakers and "artwork"...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:37:49 PM EDT
[#4]
not just no, but hell no!

how much are your freedom and gun rights worth to you?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:37:59 PM EDT
[#5]
With my rotten luck, I would open it and it would be an NCstar scope in the leupold box.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Answer this..... What if you dont know the MSRP and you dont know how much of a difference? What if you didnt know the scope was $1200? (I wouldnt have)  I would have thought I was just getting a good deal on a used scope....
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:38:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some kid wit his gf in a van said he had Bose speakers in his van and said he would give me $.20 on the dollar for speakers.  He said he worked at a electronics store.

I waved and drove on.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:38:33 PM EDT
[#8]
no.  i've actually been approached in a parking lot on at least one occasion that i can remember...  in this instance, the guy had a van full of speakers and other electronics.  i turned him down.

when i was in highschool, there was a huge market for stolen electronics.  graphing calculators, cd players, etc.  you'd be amazed at what you were able to get.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:39:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I have "crackheads" come into my showroom, that want to me to buy all kinds of shit.

I usually tell them to go to hell, but your example would be hard to pass up.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:39:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't think that anyone inclined to make the purchase would openly admit it here.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:40:18 PM EDT
[#11]
The "white van" scam is jsut cheap speakers. There not stolen. Well, most arnt anyweay. Just good looking boxes with shitty speakers.... Just a scam.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:40:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Some kid wit his gf in a van said he had Bose speakers in his van and said he would give me $.20 on the dollar for speakers.  He said he worked at a electronics store.

I waved and drove on.

that's exactly how it went down in the incident i mentioned in my above post.  the guy said he worked for bjorns, and they didn't need any of the electronics anymore, so he had to find a way to get rid of them
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I try not to, have gotten several small "questionable" items
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:43:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I waved and drove on.

I heard that same story at a LOWE's parking lot.

He wanted a $100, I offered him $50.00. He didn't even reply, just drove off. I got a good chuckle.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:43:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Karma is a bitch!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:44:33 PM EDT
[#16]
who buys stuff in the parking lot?

Come one, I mean seriously, where do you live, Harlem?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:44:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Had some white trash guy offer to sell me a nice stainless revolver outside of a gun range once.  Before he even handed it to me I asked what caliber it was and he said, "I'm not sure..."

Yeah, he only wanted $150 for a Stainless Steel .357 Ruger, but that thing was so hot it would have burned my hand.  Sorry, no deal  

EPOCH
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:50:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Hell no.  Besides the bit re stolen stuff I never buy stuff from unsolicited vendors of any sort,  just on principle.  Doesn't matter if it's online spammers, door to door salesmen, phone solicitors or  shifty dudes hawking goods out of the back of a van.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:51:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I would buy it and not ask to many questions.  I have had things stolen from me and sold.  After 514 years of  questions I learned that the 26 guns my father and I had stolen were taken to mexico and traded for drugs.  I dont blame who buys the stolen stuff its who stole it.  If a guy comes up to me syas hey dude do you want to buy this Leupy I stole for $100.00  I would tell him no.  If he said he dude I am in a bind and want to sell this scope cheap Ill take a 100 bucks for it I would hand them cash fast.  I have bought scope from buddies that I know where not stolen under such conditions.  If I have no reason to suspect they were stolen I would not worry about it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:51:09 PM EDT
[#20]
No way.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:54:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Yep. You would buy it and take the box home to find it filled with bricks. Bricks don't sound as good as Bose and Bose don't sound as good as... well pretty much anything else.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:55:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Hell, by this point half to three-quarters of all Arfcommers would have drawn down and the dude would have run away.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:13:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Ask if they accept personal checks.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:19:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Buying stolen goods - isn't that a crime called "fencing"?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:21:21 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

If you know its stolen.....
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:22:17 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell, by this point half to three-quarters of all Arfcommers would have drawn down and the dude would have run away.  

I didnt say we were in the lot of a car wash!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:22:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Come on - a Leupold scope for $100???
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:24:22 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont know the prices of scopes. So I could honestly say I didnt know it was stolen.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:26:08 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I dont know the prices of scopes. So I could honestly say I didnt know it was stolen.

I think it's still a crime if you don't know the value of the item.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:27:16 PM EDT
[#30]
yeah i would buy it, its unfortunate that sombody got ripped off and this is supporting their habbit but honnestly if you dont buy it the next person will, so ultimenty his behavior will be reinforced if you buy from them or not,

happens all the time in my old neiborhood from everything from tires to food and everything in between.  you say no, and your neibhor will say yes

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I think it's still a crime if you don't know the value of the item.

From what I have heard, its a crime if you know its stolen. Not knowing or knowing  the value. Of course, I have been wrong before.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:31:04 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought a like new Leupold Vari-XIII 6.5-20 X5mm AO for 125 from one of my buddies recently.  He needed money to keep his truck from getting repoed and thats all I had. I offered to let him buy it back and he declined.   You can get alot of stuff cheap if you know enough irresponsible people and have cash on hand.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:39:59 PM EDT
[#33]
WAIT A MINUTE!  I buy stolen stuff all the time...
...at the police auction
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:46:39 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
...at the police auction

The problem with the auctions are the professional cheapskates and dealers that show up. I was going to pick up an interceptor with low miles and some fat taxi guy outbid me.  In fact he bought all the cruisers that he could get his hands on.  The only thing left was a crappy caprice that they LEO mechanics couldnt get started.

They did have a nice new compressor that was sold for a song.  Lots of jewerly and junk bicycles.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:52:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Don't buy it. It's either stolen, a scam or they're waiting for you to pull your wallet out to see if there's enough there worth ripping you off.

If you want to do the world a favor pistol whip the guy and then smash his stuff.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:56:08 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...at the police auction

The problem with the auctions are the professional cheapskates and dealers that show up. I was going to pick up an interceptor with low miles and some fat taxi guy outbid me.  In fact he bought all the cruisers that he could get his hands on.  The only thing left was a crappy caprice that they LEO mechanics couldnt get started.

They did have a nice new compressor that was sold for a song.  Lots of jewerly and junk bicycles.

You can get some amazing deals if you know what things retail for.  This one year the local PD raided some guy's house who was running an illegal PAWN SHOP out of his basement.  Stuff was new in the box - lot's of carpentry and construction equipment.  The cops think he was stealing it from a wharehouse he had access to or something.  I paid $90 bucks for a cordless 24 volt contractor grade Dewalt reciprocating saw.  I looked it up on Grainger and they wanted over $300 for it.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fences don't just buy stolen goods.  They buy stolen goods to sell them to others right?  Possesion of stolen goods is a better fit, but unless you are clearly a criminal they normally just take the4 goods.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:09:54 PM EDT
[#38]
No, even if my neighbor buys it instead, I don't want to encourage a thief, I hate a thief, if my neighbor is the one who buys it, I hope his house is the next one to get broken into! I own a conv. store and have people come in all the time trying to sell stuff, I always say no, and tell them get the hell off my lot. I have a good relationship with the local law enforcement agencies, and they respond very quick everytime I have reason to call them. The store across the street is known for buying stolen stuff, and the local cops know it, they don't get the same level of service I do, nor do the officers patrol around their store after hours like they do mine. Everyone has their on set of principles to live by, and if you feel like encouraging thieves do so, but when your shit gets stolen don't bitch, just feel comfortable knowing somebody is getting a real good deal on your stuff.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:15:55 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then you would probably not know the difference between a real Leupold and a counterfeit. These days, low-priced name brands are more likely to be cheap counterfeits than stolen.

Besides, if you do not know the going price for a Leopold scope, would you really make an impulse decision and buy one from a guy in a parking lot for $100? There are several Leupold scopes that have MSRP less than $100...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
The "white van" scam is jsut cheap speakers. There not stolen. Well, most arnt anyweay. Just good looking boxes with shitty speakers.... Just a scam.

well he did say there were bose so your right  
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:23:20 PM EDT
[#41]
So, would you all buy that leupold scope for $100 if it were on a table at a flea mkt or yard sale?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#42]
I try not to encourage crackheads, neither should anyone else.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:57:29 PM EDT
[#43]
If you are confident the item, wether at a yard sale, flea market, or parking lot, is not stolen, get a bill of sale, with the other parties I.D., and have it witnessed. If the seller  will do this, you can be 99% sure it's not stolen, if he won't provide I.D. then you can bet it is hot. If they do, and by some chance it ends up being stolen, you may lose your merchandise to law enforcement, but you, bought it in good faith, and have a bill of sale, so you won't go to jail. No bill of sale, and a cop in a bad mood, you will go to jail for receiving stolen property.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:19:19 PM EDT
[#44]
no, I use iron sights
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:22:32 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
no.  i've actually been approached in a parking lot on at least one occasion that i can remember...  in this instance, the guy had a van full of speakers and other electronics.  i turned him down.

heh happended to me too
I have been ripped off and it pissed me off therefore i will never  buy stolen shit
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:02:38 AM EDT
[#46]
What's your pride worth? I couldn't put a Stolen Leupold scope on a gun I cared about and then go out and enjoy shooting it..

But that's me.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:28:22 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Depends.
M1 or M3?

Rings?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:32:55 AM EDT
[#48]
No thanks.  busted my ass to get the things I have today,  no reason to start cheating myself now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top