Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/15/2006 12:09:38 PM EDT
Wish I could go to Chic-fil-a for lunch but its closed, why, every Sunday..
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:10:33 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Teh suck, I agree.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:12:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Used to be most places were closed on the Sabbath as a sign of respect to their employees. In this case, CFA keeps that tradition.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:12:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

damn

dirty

mormons
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:14:09 PM EDT
[#4]
So, why aren't they closed sundown friday to sundown saturday out of respect to their Jewish employees? Don't the Jews deserve a sabbath as well?

(Edited to remove apostrophe in a plural...)
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:14:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Why cant I be pratical and want to go on Monday,,,,,

Who else wants chic-fil-a now
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:15:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So, why aren't they closed sundown friday to sundown saturday out of respect to their Jewish employees? Don't the Jew's deserve a sabbath as well?

Probably because the owner is a Christian and this is a free country. If a Jewish person wants to take Saturdays off then let 'em.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:35:13 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

damn

dirty

mormons

Actually he's a Baptist

Here's the company's explanation chick-fil-a

Here's the owner's personal website S. Truett Cathy
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:38:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So, why aren't they closed sundown friday to sundown saturday out of respect to their Jewish employees? Don't the Jew's deserve a sabbath as well?

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:42:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:42:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I just love it when a company actually stands up for what they believe in........you would think more arfcommers would respect that.......
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:46:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Actually, I want some Boston Market tonight.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

damn

dirty

mormons

No, they are'nt a cult, they are christians and their owner keeps Sunday closed for it's employees to go to church.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:50:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I just love it when a company actually stands up for what they believe in........you would think more arfcommers would respect that.......

+1
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:54:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Actually, technically, that's the owner/founder enacting his principles as workplace policy. There's a difference.

Sure, he has a right to. They'd have more business if they were open on sundays, though.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:56:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I just had a tuna steak.  Rare.  With sea salt and fresh pepper and lemon.

Chick-Fil-A can wait.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:57:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Actually, technically, that's the owner/founder enacting his principles as workplace policy. There's a difference.

No, he's standing up for his principles because:

They'd have more business if they were open on sundays, though.

He's losing money, the employees aren't.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:58:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

+1

cya
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:00:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:02:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Standing up for principles:
There is a law stating that restaurants must be open on sundays. Through some manner, he attempts to fight this law, because he believe that his sabbath should be kept free of working.

Enacting his principles as workplace policy:
He simply decides to close on sundays because he believe that his sabbath should be kept free of working.

Would you say he was "standing up for his principles" if he banned employees from wearing piercings of any sort in his restaurants? What about if he refused to serve certain races (assuming that such an action is not illegal)?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:02:42 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Very few arfcommers these days have respect for anything but themselves.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
What the hell is a chic-fil-a?

Only the #1 rated fast-food restaurant in the country and the best chicken sandwich you'll ever have!

HH
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:05:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Very few arfcommers these days have respect for anything but themselves.

+1
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:05:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is a law stating that restaurants must be open on sundays. Through some manner, he attempts to fight this law, because he believe that his sabbath should be kept free of working.

He simply decides to close on sundays because he believe that his sabbath should be kept free of working.

Standing up for your principles means sticking to what you believe despite personal cost. The owner is suffering personal cost in the form of lost business because he believes his business shouldn't be open on Sundays.

Would you say he was "standing up for his principles" if he banned employees from wearing piercings of any sort in his restaurants? What about if he refused to serve certain races (assuming that such an action is not illegal)?

Considering the likely lawsuits that would follow, yes.

Guess what, standing up for your principles can take the form of workplace policy. They don't have to be mutually exclusive.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:07:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Sabbath is a jewish thing big guy, he's respecting Sunday as a day set aside for the Lord,  a day we as Christians have chosen to have service on.

And BTW what are you on about?  Yes I would say he was standing up for his principles if he banned employees from wearing piercings, thats pretty much a general coporate thing. Gives employees a look of professionalism which is fast fading in this world. Racism is not a Christian belief my friend so I think you may be barking up the wrong tree.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:07:24 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, I want some Boston Market tonight.

We dont have one in this city
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:07:51 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Only the #1 rated fast-food restaurant in the country and the best chicken sandwich you'll ever have!

HH

Only because they have "essence of pickle" in them.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Don't the Jews deserve a sabbath as well?

No. Especially not the ones that whine and bitch about Chick-Fil-A.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:20:38 PM EDT
[#28]
The only reason I ever liked Chic-Fil-A was the waffle fries and the damn funny advertisements.  Now that Back Yard Burger has the waffle fries (and a couple of other places) I'll just look at the bilboards.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

More

If you don't like the way he does things, just don't shop there.  It really is that simple.  

Other than that, you have no say in the matter.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#30]
I respect him for that, he has values and lives by them, he tries to help others, thjose are all tenets of of the T*r*h. We do eat there when wea re out on our Sabath, which starts on friday...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 1:53:12 PM EDT
[#31]

Your ignorance is showing...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:03:17 PM EDT
[#32]
The problem is, you guys all seem to think that I have a problem with him choosing to close on sundays. I don't. I just think it's silly to call it "standing up for his principles."

Oh, and I never said racism was a christian thing, I meant, if he was racist and set corporate policy against serving anybody of the races he discriminates against, would you say that he would be standing up for his principles?
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:04:07 PM EDT
[#33]
sheeeeyat, I'd demand to have BOTH days of the weekend off if I worked for them!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:09:51 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Your ignorance is showing...

When you get a chance, look up the word 'sarcasm', and note how it applies to my previous post.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:11:26 PM EDT
[#35]
I had some Popeyes for lunch.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:20:54 PM EDT
[#36]
This old Georgia boy prays that they will come up north.  I love Chic-Fil-A.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:39:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Chic Fil A is closed for one day of the week...just one... I have no problem with that.
I respect the owner for doing it...
As far as him losing money; he is making more money than most of us...

For crying out loud people, the fucking post office is closed Sundays, and all federal holidays!
They don't even keep reasonable hours (how about staying open until 9PM like most real businesses)
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:45:02 PM EDT
[#38]
I went to Subway, I had a buy one get one free.  Atleast light traffic made it easy to get out of the parking lot
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 2:45:12 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

HH

Only because they have "essence of pickle" in them.

Ah that essence of pickle...I miss it dearly...

Havent seen a Chic Fil A In Korea
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:17:50 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
The problem is, you guys all seem to think that I have a problem with him choosing to close on sundays. I don't. I just think it's silly to call it "standing up for his principles."

I knew what you were trying to say. Just wanted to debate you on the principles thing.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 5:36:55 AM EDT
[#41]

What on earth do you mean by this?  Are you speaking hypothetically or do you think there is some law that requires restaurants to be open on Sunday?

Would you say he was "standing up for his principles" if he banned employees from wearing piercings of any sort in his restaurants?

Actually, at the CFA I worked at, female employees are only allowed to have earrings and they must meet certain size requirement.  No other visible piercings are allowed.  Men are not allowed to have any visible piercings.  

In some areas health code actually bans piercings (and other jewelry) in the kitchen.  We got a citation once when one of the managers went back into the kitchen to help and didn't take off his watch.

What about if he refused to serve certain races (assuming that such an action is not illegal)?

Don't you think it's a bit of a leap from being closed on Sunday to practicing racism.   I mean why not just say, "Well, what if he decided to shoot every third customer?"  It makes about the same amount of sense.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:00:07 AM EDT
[#42]
I respect Chic Fil As decision, and love the food.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:09:38 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

read the sign
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:17:33 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

The best chicken sandwich in the world.  Not allowed in Commiefornia because he doesn't put liberal toppings on it.....

It is a basic chicken sandwich with a pickle and some lettuce.  That is what makes it great.  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:21:25 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The best chicken sandwich in the world.  Not allowed in Commiefornia because he doesn't put liberal toppings on it.....

It is a basic chicken sandwich with a pickle and some lettuce.  That is what makes it great.  

No!!  Pickles....

Mine come w/o pickles, and are great!

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:35:59 AM EDT
[#46]

Closed Sundays. It's part of the Chick-fil-A® recipe.
Admittedly, closing all of our restaurants every Sunday makes us a rarity in this day and age. But it's a little habit that has always served us well, so we're planning to stick with it.

Our founder, Truett Cathy, wanted to ensure that every Chick-fil-A employee and restaurant operator had an opportunity to worship, spend time with family and friends or just plain rest from the work week. Made sense then, still makes sense now.

Just one more reason I eat there when I have the chance.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:39:42 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sure, he has a right to. They'd have more business if they were open on sundays, though.

Closed Sundays. It's part of the Chick-fil-A® recipe.
Admittedly, closing all of our restaurants every Sunday makes us a rarity in this day and age. But it's a little habit that has always served us well, so we're planning to stick with it.

Our founder, Truett Cathy, wanted to ensure that every Chick-fil-A employee and restaurant operator had an opportunity to worship, spend time with family and friends or just plain rest from the work week. Made sense then, still makes sense now.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:43:41 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

I agree.  I wish more places would do it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:00:27 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Why not?  If they want to do without the Sunday business that is their choice.  Personally, I could care less if they are closed.  I can do without some nuggets or fries on day a week.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:11:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Chicken Sammich!

Gettin' hungry already!

It's a good thing I read this thread on Monday instead of Sunday!

BigDozer66
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top